Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

Reinchards high resolution textures and sprites - demo available

That doortrak is infinitely more stylish than the one Ascension currently has. I love it.

Reinchard666 said:

NiuHaka, if you want you can use some of my textures in your project, there all are free for use.

I've already completed almost all that you have already done but I might take you up on that offer with some textures that you do make. I'll have to butcher anything I take to ensure unity with the rest of our textures but i'm seriously thinking about using your doortrak. It is really good.

Step6 - I really don't know what this texture was supposed to be. I decide to mix plastic with rubber scratches.

And another riddle. Does anyone have any idea what is this if it's not just a photo of a rubble on the floor?

Reinchard666 said:

And another riddle. Does anyone have any idea what is this if it's not just a photo of a rubble on the floor?

I've always thought that texture was meant to look be some kind of hexagonal basalt rock columns that are all broken apart. Ascensions version of that texture is going just be some hex basalt rock columns just because I hate that texture.

Google "Hexagonal Basalt Rock Columns" for image references.

It definitely looks cool but as a wall texture?Looks more like a floor texture. Keep in mind that you will also have to recolor it for the red version. It's a cool photo and it's strangely similar to the actual texture but it could use some work first.

I've already said this but what do you think about finishing all the E1M1 textures first for an alpha version to see how they actually come together?

Guys, guys, this is not my texture, I'm only paste this photo to illustrate to you what I'm talking about :D
And yes, making all E1M1 textures is what I'm currently working on.

There are guides to making textures that can tile and it's actually much easier than I would have guessed.

Reinchard666 said:

Guys, guys, this is not my texture, I'm only paste this photo to illustrate to you what I'm talking about :D

That is why is said it is weird. Seriously. That is really weird.

Reinchard666 said:

I would presume it's titanite crystals with adularia:

Lüt said:

I would presume it's titanite crystals with adularia:

LOL oh my! Thank you for that. It just got weirder. That is definitely the source of that texture.

Flynn Taggart said:

O.O That is the best thing ever. You should touch up the grainy parts though if you were to use it.

Yeah, since leaving them in there would make it very weird. Also, about the texture itself: The middle of it looks identical, yet the edges look different. Did id mix and match different parts of the pictures or find other pictures that magically looked close enough.

The new COMPBLUE looks great but this too could use some more detail. I was thinking about an animation small pulsing lines moving across the relay, of course it should be as subtle as possile. A lot of textures could have simple animation like this but if people don't like them, they should be optional.

Oh and if you decide to add more details to future textures, you could add something more than cracks. Some scratches would be cool or some bloody handprints showing that someone was struggling. I think cracks would work best on stone textures.

I agree, but if you thinking about star* texture, I just don't want to add any other details, so I decide to add cracks insteed of smaller panels or something else that would change the original feeling of the texture.
I have two questions:
flat14: carpet, rubber or something else?
And what about left and right side of comptile? Is it plastic or metal? This one in original texture look very smooth, so maybe some kind of plastic like this one from computer keyboards? Which one should I use?

This might be more difficult but I sometimes try to create textures that could be seen as metal and/or plastic and/or stone. Same goes for carpet or rust. If I make a texture look too much like one thing it can potentially limit a mappers use for the texture. Things like concrete should always look like concrete but when it comes to things like that compspan I do what I can to make it look like something that can be either metal or plastic.

I am by no means an artist but a thing has just crossed my mind. In this thread, as well as the Ascension thread, people often say that the textures look fantastic(and they do) but when applied to the game world, they look kind of weird(sometimes). So isn't thhere some kind of "pixel budget" or how much information you can put on the blocky, low-poly architecture of doom before it starts to look weird?

As Fraggle mentioned in one thread, modernising Doom will take more than just a retexture, I think the architecture should be modified(not drastically) to accomodate the new textures OR we can make a megawad(or at first just a single map) specially for these new textures. If you plan to release the E1M1 textures for an alpha, I think it sould be a great opportunity to see how they actually come together and give you some advise on how to tweak them.

Also, I very much agree with NiuHaka, and I would say that the classic textures actually have an advantage over the new ones BECAUSE they can be interpreted in multiple ways and this is because they are low res.

If I'm not mistaken, Ascension will have modified level design as well to complement the new high res textures of the project, but I could be wrong.

Ultimately it's how the textures are used, though; texture placement wasn't entirely Doom's strongest suit to begin with. If textures were placed somewhat more intricately as they are expected to be these days, the high res textures probably wouldn't look so weird.

Ok ok, I know this all things, but I'm make textures NOT levels, and I don't abandon this project only because classic Doom has outdated map design. Following this line of thought, if I have to remake all levels, just to fit them with my textures, in next step I would have change lights and shading, etc etc... This is TEXTURE project. Thats what you all talking about is "Doom Ascension" - there are remasterd levels and other fantastic stuff. And Doomsday engine is fantastic, may I also shift to Doomsday from GZDoom, which look much worst without Jdoom style of shading (I don't know how to call it, but I'm talking about this subtle shading in corners, I don't kno why this is not implemented to GZDoom [insteed of this GZDoom has totally stupid rabbit cursor - WTF?]).

Nomad said:

If I'm not mistaken, Ascension will have modified level design as well to complement the new high res textures of the project, but I could be wrong.

It is true. High res textures really need newer levels mapped with higher standards in order to shine.

Might I add that Reinchard666 is NOT making new levels BUT, and i stress the "BUT" here, I think that the new level design is left up to the community. Using these textures when playing a level from the 90s is only going to accentuate the craptastic texture alignment and funkystank use of proportion (Look at this chair that is twice as big as me) that plague these older levels. Our standards for level design are much higher now than they used to be and I see high-res textures as another opportunity to up the ante. Mapping with high-res textures is much more demanding and for someone like me it makes mapping all the more satisfying.

Reinchard666 said:

...I don't know how to call it, but I'm talking about this subtle shading in corners...

Doomsday is definitely the port of choice for those who have a discerning eye for visual quality. And i'm not talking about the way people still think of jDoom. It is quickly becoming a different beast entirely. If you think it has nice features now just you wait until v2. mmmmm bias lighting. Tasty. Mapping is about to become much more interesting for people like me.