Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Craigs

Planetside 2 (take two)

Yeah this is another thread about PS2. Why you ask? Because it's official:
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/26/planetside-2-beta-starts-next-week-new-cinematic-trailer-starts/
Planetside 2's closed beta starts next week on Monday or Tuesday and they'll be giving out invites in waves. Veterans and those who got keys from PC magazine get priority access though, so if you played the original you might want to keep an eye on your inbox. They've already done a closed tech test and from what I've read on /vg/ so far, people had a blast with it (although some people were apparently really pissed that you couldn't force a faction completely off a continent).

Also I'm planning on going New Conglomerate, so if anyone else here interested in the game gets in as well, you ought to join them so we can team up together.

You know you're not mainstream anymore when you think PS2 means Playstation 2 :-/

Maes said:

You know you're not mainstream anymore when you think PS2 means Playstation 2 :-/

I actually get them mixed up from time to time too. Sometimes I wish people had come up with a different abbreviation for it.

the beta is going to be glorious. here's to hoping that the release actually improves upon the beta as opposed to imbalancing things/making things worse/fucking shit up...as has been the case with several other games lately. e.g. starhawk.

Bah, they pushed Beta back to August 3rd. Well, I guess this means that they're doing their best for a quality experience. Which is a good thing.

Maes said:

Oh yeah, well I thought he was talking about the obsolete keyboard and mouse interface.

The game will go public in a matter of days, but I got my beta invite yesterday, so what the hell.

At the moment, I can't find much substance to the game beyond "Trek across miles of wasteland just to get sniped when a large building comes into view". People don't seem very coordinated with objectives. Auto-joining squads helps this, but I was unable to deploy on top of my squad leader for some reason. I imagine the team aspect should improve when the larger population gets the game. I remember lots of awesome action from the first game in taking bases, so time will tell.

Sadly, I was trying to get rid of my desktop hardware but this game just won't run well on my laptop. With all settings at minimum, it's still a slideshow.

Manually joining the platoon works a lot better than autojoining, because often the autojoin squad isn't part of said main platoon. If there's a large platoon going in a map, you'll be in more coordinated attacks, which makes the game a lot more fun. I found myself in rather heated battles this way.

Maes said:

Same. I still play playstation 2 sometimes. I just bought burnout 3 yesterday :X