Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coraline

Lesser source ports

I'm, as Gez said, an old-school grump that doesn't like my registry (or anything else) fucked with.

I grudgingly wrote one for EE's C/S branch because we needed to register a protocol handler, and like Quasar said using NSIS is pretty easy. Actually it will do some neat stuff, like we let you download (and un-ZIP) Freedoom if you don't have an IWAD, so there are definitely benefits to installers.

Some people understandably hate it, and I tell them they can always run it from the command-line if they want, and if someone wants to write a GUI program or a Doomseeker plugin then the installer would be less relevant (as would the master's web GUI). Time is a serious factor though, it took me a week to write the master, which is actually a master and a launcher. Writing a big GUI app in C++ - ESPECIALLY when there are smarter people than I dedicated specifically to that in Doomseeker - seemed pretty foolish, so I didn't do it.

===

I'll try to be a little more on-topic. Hopefully I don't offend anyone by classifying it as a "lesser" source port because I don't really feel like it is, but I found EDGE to be delightful. I played through the Quake TC and it was a blast. Lack of demo-compatibility is a definite minus, but to be honest it allowed the devs to really make the codebase shine, so I can see the motivation completely. The GL renderer is really nice too. I don't know what the status of it is (or Chu's 3DGE project), but I hope it stays alive.

Landa:

I'll try to be a little more on-topic. Hopefully I don't offend anyone by classifying it as a "lesser" source port because I don't really feel like it is, but I found EDGE to be delightful. I played through the Quake TC and it was a blast. Lack of demo-compatibility is a definite minus, but to be honest it allowed the devs to really make the codebase shine, so I can see the motivation completely. The GL renderer is really nice too. I don't know what the status of it is (or Chu's 3DGE project), but I hope it stays alive.

3DGE is pretty much in hiatus as a quake2 project gets worked on. Chu's engine coding is restricted to the GL layer stuff and he is "learning" to be perfectly honest. Edge will always be near and dear, but the "Z" family is way too far ahead now. Andrew and other coders got tired of hearing us ask for features other ports already had and we started feeling bad for asking. It is the way of things (the lump not the philosophy). *shrugs*

zZaRDoZz said:

Andrew and other coders got tired of hearing us ask for features other ports already had and we started feeling bad for asking.

Well, I can't speak for the other Andrew, but for me it had little to do with users or modders, just a case of running out of steam / motivation to continue working on it.

I've noticed that this thread has given criticism for installers, Risen3D and DoomsDay for example.

I'd just like to say, for those folk who hate installers, that Risen3D also comes as a .zip distribution, no installer. Just "install" the zip to wherever and it is good to go.