Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
K3K

GZDoom randomly gets stuck at 0 FPS.

At random times (and by random times I mean like random days etc. But not during gameplay though) when I open up GZDoom and it gets to the DOOM 2 title screen, my fraps FPS meter says the game is stuck at 0 FPS, and (obviously) the game is at 0 FPS and runs unimaginably slow. Sorta like a computer from 1990 trying to run Battlefield 3 on Max settings.

Why does this happen? I tryed turning off everything running (including explorer.exe) and still does not fix it when this happens.
Can help and tell me what's going on?

P.S. Oh, and no, I don't have a crap computer -_-

Try turning off v-synch? Updating your drivers? Does it happen when you're not running FRAPS?

Check the in-game console next time it happens - on the off chance it's something from GZDoom itself that spits up a message.

GhostlyDeath said:

Specs?

Well I'll admit the specs are kinda crappy but here they are:

Processer AMD Sempron(tm) 140 2.70 ghz

RAM 3.00 GB

OS Windows 7 64 Bit

Graphics Card NVIDIA Geoforce 6150SE nForce 430

However, I will update most of my drivers, that could be the problem.

EDIT: Also, according to my Mircrosoft rating, the graphics card got a 3.2/10. So obivously if I upgraded my card, it would most likely help it...

schwerpunk said:

Try turning off v-synch? Updating your drivers? Does it happen when you're not running FRAPS?

Check the in-game console next time it happens - on the off chance it's something from GZDoom itself that spits up a message.

Apologizes for the double post, but my Vertical Sync is off, it still happens ever now and then without fraps on. And it didn't spit up a message in the console, besides that's the first thing I did when it happened :P

I don't know if this is relevant, but on my computer regular ZDoom lags like a bitch whenever something decides to update itself via the Internet in the background as I'm playing. Jerks and outright pauses.

This morning, I took out a Baron with a shotgun in a confined space during one such lag spike. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW.

Hmm ComicMischeif, maybe that could be the problem also. The other's suggestions didn't help, as it still happened. Hoping your idea works :P

TB171 said:

So obivously if I upgraded my card, it would most likely help it...

GZDoom features OpenGL rendering, so the wrong graphics card can stop it working completely. GZDoom crashes instantly on my computer for that reason, and I had to revert to ZDoom >=(

That gets me wondering: Is there a point to playing in GZDoom if you're just going to set vid_renderer to "0" most of the time?

You just get plain ZDoom then. There's really nothing in GZDoom aside from the GL renderer that can't be found in ZDoom itself.

If a map has dynamic light things (not lights attached to normal things like candelabras and fireballs), you'll get error markers in ZDoom but not in software GZDoom. That's about all.

Gez said:

If a map has dynamic light things (not lights attached to normal things like candelabras and fireballs), you'll get error markers in ZDoom but not in software GZDoom. That's about all.

Is there no way to make them invisible instead of <!> in vanilla ZDoom? So as to make ZDoom-compatible maps that have the dyn-light bonus for GZDoom users, without using sloped 3d floors too.

Only happening during video capability detection, not changing during gameplay ?? That would eliminate the internet interference. That would change up and down during gameplay.
I suspect detection of video card capabilities.
If it could not do hardware acceleration for the selected video mode, it would switch to opengl software emulation without any notice.
That is extremely slow compared to hardware acceleration.