Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jodwin said:

Why haven't you done this already? People will use illegal characters, notes or no notes, unless you explicitly prevent it.

Especially since it's generally considered good practice not to use only alphanumerical characters, as it increases greatly the number of combinations which makes brute-forcing the password much more expensive.

Carnevil: You tout the editing features of the game as very ample. How much freedom does a user have. Does it have something a kin to the availability you see in something like Zdoom or Doom3 or is it something more a kin to how it works in Quake. Or is it mostly limited to level design?

I'll talk to Rivecoder about getting the password characters issue fixed up. I agree that either they should just work, or be forbidden (in other words, a notice saying "DON'T USE THESE" likely won't be very effective).

kristus: Modders have a TON of flexibility! Nothing is hardcoded in terms of doors, monsters, behavior, properties, etc. Modders have access to all of the tools and programs that we use to make the game, so they certainly have the power to come up with all sorts of cool stuff which I look forward to. Someone with the game should poke around data001.zip sometime, which holds all of the scripts and definitions. ALL of that is externally defined, and can be manipulated/added to by modders. Someone's already made a weapon mod, complete with a new model and texture, that has its own firing behavior. Someone else then took that and gave it regenerating ammo - and that's just the beginning of the sorts of things people can do!

Don't forget guys that it's ON SALE for QuakeCon!

EDIT. Found a bug btw. When i tried to bind [ in Wrack it would work until I tried to start the game over and it would crash with a cfg error. Had to open the CFG manually and replace the character.

Nice! :D I enjoy some of the tags you have for that... lol. I can't make out much of what's being said due to the loudness here at QuakeCon, so I'll have to give it another watch later.

kristus said:

EDIT. Found a bug btw. When i tried to bind [ in Wrack it would work until I tried to start the game over and it would crash with a cfg error. Had to open the CFG manually and replace the character.

Thanks! I've got that fixed.

"Bobby Price"

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

Pretty cool otheriwse. It's nice having a good review for this. Makes me feel good about it. He brings up all the issues I'd probably have with it; needs a map, the cutscenes showing you what switches do are kind of pointless when the levels are so uniform (or at least too coherent) that it could still be any door anyway.

My own nags from watching his vid: Pretty sure the awful animation for the big robot dude was mentioned before, but please god fix that. Also I'd suggest some teleporter fog of some kind for enemies warping in, helps make sense of enemies jut appearing from nowhere. Don't know if you had sound for the teleporting, but there should be that too. Nothing worse than an enemy sneaking up behind you because it teleported in without your knowledge, and you move so fast it's feasable that you might think an enemy appearing out of nowhere might just be one you missed so fog helps sell the idea these guys are appearing for a reason.

Yes well done, though I've never heard of this video series. Then again I've spent maybe a total of 8 minutes on youtube since it's creation. I suppose any exposure is good exposure, even though this guy sucks at shooters.

Yes, I was a sad panda when I heard "Bobby Price" :( At least he seemed to be well aware of what he's done and seems to have a lot of respect for him.

Nomad: We've the monster teleporting particles and a sound playing now! :)

Use3D said:

even though this guy sucks at shooters.

"You try playing while talking at the same time!", heh

Got a hold of a copy of Wrack from an irc event hosted by Carnevil. Played through on hard mode, took about 2.5 hours for the current 4 maps. I made some entirely subjective notes:

Pros: Textures are excellent. Gun models are excellent (the sword concept is a bit silly though). Maintains 30+ fps even with over a dozen enemies on screen, on a minimum spec system. Music for me is good,(better than Doom2 but not Doom1, for my tastes). Most of the secrets are fun, really need to keep your eyes peeled (not counting the first few which are sortof handed to the player)! I like the turrets. E1M3 boss was spectacular.

Cons: I hate the humanoid and big robot models/animations. E1M1 bosses felt lackluster. Sound effects are also quite annoying. Absolutely despise the parabolic arc projectile on weapon #4. While the maps are of very good quality, I still disliked the linearity (only ever one way to get somewhere). The engine is 3D, but all combat occurs in one plane, never any fire from more than ~128 units above or below (would like to see more ledges/perches, windows, bridges etc.). Enemies are mostly just fodder on hard mode (there is an additional difficulty mode though), very easily dodgeable including their very slow projectiles. Player speed feels overpowered in relation to the speed of aforementioned projectiles, also would like an option to walk for precision moments (I still walk as default in Doom, haha).

While it looks like my con list resulted in an unhappy time, that's not true. I enjoyed it enough to make these comments and will probably buy it when it's complete, despite having been gifted my current copy.

Jodwin said:

"You try playing while talking at the same time!", heh

Entirely true. Ever tried explaining the game you're playing to a relative sitting beside you? Unless you find stream of consciousness rambling punctuated with "uuhh...", "aaah..." and awkward silences to be adequate communication, it does require some thought and effort for the result to have any kind of structure and give any insight to your audience.

It's the same reason anyone trying to have a conversation while looking at something on their smartphone ends up sounding like an idiot. "Multitasking" is an aberration, our brains can't do that. Some people get fast enough at hopping back and forth between two different tasks they can give the illusion it's possible, but you can never truly have the same efficiency doing two things at once as you can do focusing on just one, unless the performance ceiling is set extremely low.

I guess you can perhaps argue a single player FPS is just that, such a simple task nobody should make mistakes at it even if they were juggling with flaming torches at the same time. Taking that hypothetical argument at face value (because otherwise I'd believe it'd be worth arguing there might potentially be a tiny bit of ego posturing and gamer elitism rather than reason and objectivity behind that), I believe shooters just feel easy because they're for the most part very intuitive, much like we don't have to think consciously about the exact sounds we need to make to form intelligible words and coherent sentences; but combine two tasks like this, and precisely because you don't usually think about what you're doing in either of these situations, confusion happens.

Besides, for the numerous naysayers who claim doing a decent job at presenting a game while also playing it at a high level is trivial, not a single one of them ever seems to be seen posting a video of them doing just that. Which is odd, because considering the fame and dough people like TotalBiscuit get and make, you'd believe at least a few of them would jump on the occasion.

Phml said:

Besides, for the numerous naysayers who claim doing a decent job at presenting a game while also playing it at a high level is trivial, not a single one of them ever seems to be seen posting a video of them doing just that. Which is odd, because considering the fame and dough people like TotalBiscuit get and make, you'd believe at least a few of them would jump on the occasion.

You also would think they'd record their commentary after playing the game, using a voice recorder for notes during play or something. There, problem solved..again.

Use3D said:

You also would think they'd record their commentary after playing the game, using a voice recorder for notes during play or something. There, problem solved..again.

If you can't understand the appeal of doing, or watching, something live as opposed to delayed, you will never get it. Your limited understanding isn't evidence of a lack of difference.

Phml said:

Your limited understanding isn't evidence of a lack of difference.

I understand the difference, and it's apparent which one I would prefer. Watching him bumble around after that last door was unlocked was painful. Simmer down, now.

DuckReconMajor said:

Both are good for different things.

Maybe not on a game one hasn't played very much of before? If anything it could leave a bad impression of Wrack. I guess I just don't find it entertaining or very informative is all. Apparently this TotalBiscuit character is popular so I'm a minority; shocking.

Part of the appeal of initial playthroughs is to get impressions as they come. Delaying the commentary in these situations seems counterintuitive to me. If you're going to script something, you might as well do it only once you've got decent enough knowledge of the game to be able to showcase things in a structured way.

Phml said:

Part of the appeal of initial playthroughs is to get impressions as they come.

That's true, and I bet it was still exciting for Carn to see someone playing his game and talking about it. I know I'd stoked regardless.

Vorpal said:

Pros: Textures are excellent. Gun models are excellent (the sword concept is a bit silly though).

I see the sword is still getting guff. I'm one of the few who likes it.

Use3D said:

Maybe not on a game one hasn't played very much of before? If anything it could leave a bad impression of Wrack. I guess I just don't find it entertaining or very informative is all. Apparently this TotalBiscuit character is popular so I'm a minority; shocking.

Personally I find it more appealing as it's more akin to experiencing the game together. I can understand if you feel differently though.

And I'm not much a fan of TotalBiscuit anymore. But he is (or at least he was) very popular and to see Wrack get a mostly positive review on his channel is very exciting.

Ah, yes... the Desura version! Tomorrow, we'll be releasing on Desura! :D We've even put together a brand-spanking new trailer for it! It's not publicly available, but what the hell - you guys can have a look at it! :D