Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khorus

Strife: Absolute Order - 20/11/2012 download from /idgames!

Strife: Absolute Order is a hub based mapset for, well, Strife! The maps require a port compatible with ZDoom.

Downloads

You can download the wad from /idgames.

Enjoy!

Screens!

If you're interested in more Strife to play, you can check out my last Strife project from 2010 here.

Ooh, more Khorus-Strife! I approve. ;)

A suggestion, though: I may have brought this up before, but I found some parts of AWS:Dam to be a bit too frustrating because of Strife's low default weapon accuracy. Would you consider either placing some accuracy upgrades or even just setting a higher starting accuracy? That'd work wonders, I think.

Tormentor667 said:

Yes... that could be interesting ;)

I hope so. :)

Xaser said:

Ooh, more Khorus-Strife! I approve. ;)

A suggestion, though: I may have brought this up before, but I found some parts of AWS:Dam to be a bit too frustrating because of Strife's low default weapon accuracy. Would you consider either placing some accuracy upgrades or even just setting a higher starting accuracy? That'd work wonders, I think.

:D

Yes, while a low accuracy stat can be negated quite a bit with situational weapon usage (mmm nades and assault gun), I really hope to get the accuracy improvements in. There is a line action that lowers a floor, but it needs to be seamless and not have that damn "you has completed training" message. Sehacked I wonder?

esselfortium said:

This looks great! I really love the first screenshot especially.

Thanks essel. :)

BlazingPhoenix said:

I love you.

Platonic love for Strife is good love. <3

Khorus said:

The maps will require a port that removes limits and supports mp3 music.

Khorus said:

Sehacked I wonder?

A Strife port that

• Removes limits and can play MP3
  • Supports SeHackEd
  • Actually exists
I think it's a "choose any two" situation here...

Gez said:

A Strife port that

• Removes limits and can play MP3
  • Supports SeHackEd
  • Actually exists
I think it's a "choose any two" situation here...

That problem can always be solved by supplying a DECORATE simulacrum that attempts to do exactly like the SEH file ("attempts" because there might yet be undiscovered things Sehacked can natively do and ZDoom doesn't support).

Where's Gokuma right now when people are moving on to Strife?

For changing messages, you'd use LANGUAGE, not DECORATE...

And SeHackEd's source code is available, so anything it can do is not "undiscovered".

After finishing another Ganymede and Doom 2 map, it's time for me to focus again on my next Strife wad!

With the possibility of a Strife Plus, I've decided to not use an mp3 soundtrack and instead shuffle original midis around. However, it's likely I'll have a seperate download for the music for those playing with ports supporting it. We'll see! Should a Strife plus be released I'll probably release an update to my old strife project to let it function with it.

Anyway, I've updated the old screens as well as added two new ones. There is progress!

Screens!

Also, I hope to see some other people working on some Strife maps, I want more to play dammit! ;)

I shit you not - it's thefirst time I see a Strife pWad. And it looks gorgeous, while still having that classic atmosphere.

Three thumbs up.

ellmo said:

I shit you not - it's thefirst time I see a Strife pWad.

Aside from Khorus's previous map, there are two by Kaiser. I think that's it though. And if I remember right, this would be the first with more than one map.

Thank you all! I hope it won't disappoint.

Here's another screen:

Quasar, how's the Strife Plus coming along? >:P

So I've been working on this project for a year and a half, maybe longer, and all that's to show for it so far is 5 screenshots.

Well to show that I actually have some content created, I've decided to release a demo. This contains the first "dungeon" map the player will encounter and it's soundtrack. Being the first dungeon, it's not too long or difficult but I want to show that there is work done here.

You can download the demo here. It requires a port that is limit removing and supports .ogg music. I've only tried GZDoom on this particular build of the map so that's the safe bet. Have fun. :)

Nice.

Definitely easier than awsdam. I was expecting to get my ass handed to me many times but I did it on the first run with no deaths.

Again you have a great feel for the strengths and weaknesses of the Strife enemies. They are well placed with damage-inevitable encouters balanced well with health drops.

Nice shooting gallery at the end. I've never gibbed a townsperson with the electric crossbow before :P

I exited the level with 6 health and 93 armor. By comparison, Raiding the Dam killed me the firs three times and I ended up using saves to complete it. Of course, it's a much smaller level.

I forgot how annoying Strife gets when you're low on health and it has to make you slower.

By the way, you shouldn't hesitate to put in some E/ZMAPINFO lump to specify level names.

Thanks guys! :)

Super Jamie said:

Again you have a great feel for the strengths and weaknesses of the Strife enemies. They are well placed with damage-inevitable encouters balanced well with health drops.

Nice shooting gallery at the end. I've never gibbed a townsperson with the electric crossbow before :P

Thanks! Hope that reaver wasn't too brutal. :p Those guys are awesome.

Hehe, nothing says timekiller like slaughtering peasants. It's why this project is taking so long! ;)

Gez said:

I exited the level with 6 health and 93 armor. By comparison, Raiding the Dam killed me the firs three times and I ended up using saves to complete it. Of course, it's a much smaller level.

I forgot how annoying Strife gets when you're low on health and it has to make you slower.

By the way, you shouldn't hesitate to put in some E/ZMAPINFO lump to specify level names.

Ahh, still got it!

Yeah the movement speed lowering is something I'm not a big fan of. Fortunately it shouldn't happen too often when you have access to the town as you'll be purchasing health/armour if you find yourself needing that most.

I'll definitely be doing a MAPINFO. :D

Oh neat! Still can't finish it (can't locate enough ammo), but I've been doing a Strife-tweak minimod and this'll give me something to test it with. ;)

Big question: Will the mod have some accuracy upgrades somewhere? AWS:Dam's biggest source of difficulty was that it was impossible to hit anything with certain weapons (missile launcher specifically), leading to severe low ammo issues.

Hello again! I've been steadily working on this, particularly over the last few weeks and made good progress. Maps and music are getting finished and the WAD is starting to feel like a cohesive little world. :)

I have been working a full-time job the past few months (CAD drafting in mechanical engineering), so I have had much less creative time. I plan to be there for another few months at most, so I'll be able to work like a crazy bastard again soon enough.

Anyway, let's get to the update:

Xaser said:

Big question: Will the mod have some accuracy upgrades somewhere? AWS:Dam's biggest source of difficulty was that it was impossible to hit anything with certain weapons (missile launcher specifically), leading to severe low ammo issues.

I can now answer with a definite yes, there will be pickups that increase accuracy and stamina. This means the wad is now ZDoom dependent, but it works in Vavoom and should work in Eternity should that ever see a version with Strife support. The switch to ZDoom has certainly made working on the game a lot easier too. :)

I figure it's worth mentioning that co-op is going to be balanced for 2 players. There will probably be player starts for 4 but seeing as I'll only be able to test 2 player that's what I'm going to balance for there.

And finally here's a happy little screenshot: 6 :D

Questions, comments etc. are most welcome.

I'm betting it's a contract job. 80 bucks an hour, then a foot in the ass once your project is complete.

No engineering companies hire in-house drafters these days.

Khorus said:

I can now answer with a definite yes, there will be pickups that increase accuracy and stamina. This means the wad is now ZDoom dependent

Why? Doesn't vanilla Strafe have that optional death-course where you're automatically rewarded with level-ups?

printz said:

Why? Doesn't vanilla Strafe have that optional death-course where you're automatically rewarded with level-ups?

Pretty much what Vaporizer said, that line type is just not flexible enough.

Regarding my work, working full-time in an office is exactly what I didn't want to wind up doing. So I'm just going to get a good amount of money and experience out of it and move on as I'm not happy there at all. The rest of my family keep saying they're so happy that I'm there making me partly driven by guilt. Oh well.

$24 per hour btw Jamie as it is a permanent position. :( And I'm still relatively inexperienced.

Anyway, Strife! I'll be putting a music track up in the next update so look forward to that shit.

Update! I now have 1 finished hub totally created, balanced, music in etc. This is 1 central map with 3 offshoot "gameplay" maps. I plan on having 3 more hubs.

To celebrate this milestone, here's a music piece from the soundtrack. It's called "Mobildethvan (Rearranging Esselfortium)" and, as the title shows, is a rearrangement of one of Essel's pieces from his 2007 album "A Terrible Flood". I hope you enjoy it, feel free to leave any feedback. :)

As a side note, I have a facebook page set up for my music project, Z-taxia. So you can check that out if you're interested. :)

printz said:

So this wad will have esselmusic? then YES! YES!!

This remix I did of his work is the only sign of him on the soundtrack, the rest of it is entirely me. Sorry to disappoint you. :P