Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ella guro

Doom 2 in name only (tentative title)

scifista42 said:

ella guro: Do I understand it right that the mudwater texture pack is really allowed? I want to know if I can use waterfalls before I start mapping.

yes, it's allowed

Pottus said:

Well, I tried AV MAP20 the other day with doom2.exe in DOSBOX and it seemed to play fine so you can create some very elaborate designs. I think the way this WAD looks it will be better without limit removing.

Edit

Printz: Not to mention when you map in vanilla you need to be very creative yet conservative at the same time. The only real difference I see between limit removing/non-limit removing is limit removing maps tend to have a lot more double sided lines whereas non limit removing maps are designed more specifically to try and get the most out of dooms render engine which leads to better designed maps rather than having linedefs for the sake of having linedefs.

completely agreed on both counts.

scifista42 said:

Really good map, but I checked it in Chocorenderlimits and saw that even such small and simple map has 112 visplanes at one place! What should we all do with our epic maps?

Look out for height/light/texture variation on floors and ceilings -> "Too many changing ssectors (sub-sectors) in view at once, with different floor and/or ceiling properties."/Lee Killough

The source tells...
for (check=visplanes; check<lastvisplane; check++)
{
if (height == check->height
&& picnum == check->picnum
&& lightlevel == check->lightlevel)
{
break;
}
}
At the break we "f/use" an existing visplane and don't have to waste a new one.

Your maps can be "gargantuan" and only use a few visplanes.

ella guro said:

yes, it's allowed

Should a link to it be put on the first page, so that in case it really gets accepted, everyone will know where to find it? (It's just that I find the blood and nukage (Doom 2 defaults) falls garish in comparison to brown slime falls if I want to make a flow of damaging liquid).

I like to do map22, The Catacombs. I began some preliminary design today, but I have other commitments that I must finish before I can devote my full attention to this. Since this project is still in its beginning stages, hopefully that shouldn't be a problem.

Here's a screenshot of one of the first areas. I've only speed-mapped a few rooms so far, so it's all subject to change and/or extra detailing when I start doing serious work on it.

looks good, everybody! feel free to take your time with your maps. i know i'm gonna do some planning before i lay anything down in doombuilder. this project is still in its infancy after all.

i added a link to the mudfalls textures in the first post, so feel free to use those. everyone should also be up to date as far as claims go.

Just a suggestion for Cannonball: you know that trick where you die to slide under stuff? Maybe you could impliment that into your secret exit.

Obsidian said:

Just a suggestion for Cannonball: you know that trick where you die to slide under stuff? Maybe you could impliment that into your secret exit.

No, please DON'T do this!

I have no qualms about certain -- unnecessary -- areas being blocked off to me because I lack the skill to access them. My favourite WADs are multi-tiered in just this way.

Obsidian said:

Why not? It's just a suggestion.

Unfortunately some settings can be modified by the player in MBF, PrBoom+ and Eternity. Such settings affect whether a dead player can trigger an exit, and they need to be set to Doom compatibility for such maps to be solvable.

So you're saying that some engines render the trick somewhat impossible? Okay, that's understandable.

Well, it's no problem in PrBoom+ if the -complevel is Doom2 1.9. For the other two MBF-compatibles, the setting can be enforced by putting an OPTIONS lump in the megawad. So please go ahead with the post-mortem exit.

It was a suggestion for Cannonball, seeing as he's doing Industrial Zone. I'll use it myself sometime in the near future, but not now. :-)

well i have my own plan for the secret exit. i think its pretty unique and possibly rather evil. but i shall leave you guys wondering about whats in store. As for the map its looking rather huge but still ok with vanilla limits at the moment

Obsidian said:

It was a suggestion for Cannonball, seeing as he's doing Industrial Zone.

Sorry dude, I didn't mean it as a huge no-no... by all means, it would be interesting if done right. Plus you'd enter the Wolf level on more level terms without weapons. Pros and cons in everything I guess...

I have some progress shots from my Downtown map:

In "first draft" stage, it is totally 100% Vanilla compatible (at the moment ;), tested with Chocolate and checked with Visiplane Explorer through DB2.

Here are some more screens

Feedback and suggestions welcomed. Also, someone with a nice sense of detail if you are so inclined to help out on this one.

This project intrigues me, for sure. I can't devote too much of my time to it as I have other pressing projects to tend to, but seeing as it'd be a relatively small level I'd love to have a crack at Map03: The Gantlet!

alterworldruler said:

Preliminary shots of map17's start. (It will lead into a city full of surprise, tenements, aka overcrowded aparment buildings)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/Kaiseroo/chocolate-doom2012-08-2013-58-27-13.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/Kaiseroo/chocolate-doom2012-08-2013-59-19-38.jpg

Wow, that sewer is amazing! I could play a whole MAP around this theme.

schwerpunk said:

Wow, that sewer is amazing! I could play a whole MAP around this theme.

Maybe I could add more sewers like that in some locations, we'll see. I am not aiming for this map to fully look like the IWAD maps, i'm just trying for it to be a mix of classic and modern.

alterworldruler: Or you can claim MAP05: The Waste Tunnels. But then we will have to choose between yours and an_mutt's map. Just a suggestion...

All screens on this page looks nice. Looking forward to play :)