Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

Things that you thought about Doom that weren't.

Things I thought about DOOM that weren't true...these are mainly due to incorrect information in a DOOM manual which I read before playing the games:
- Spider Mastermind is in DOOM 2 only and Cyberdemon is in DOOM 2 only (this made the boss levels in DOOM 1 rather unexpected).
- Chainsaw is in DOOM 2 only (again, I was surprised at first when I found a chainsaw in DOOM 1).
- Berserk pack only lasts for a limited time like the Radiation-shielding suit (the berserk pack lasts until leaving the level).

a friend from long time back thought that you couldn't kill demons with the pistol. I think he had this experience solely on playing episode 1 of Doom.

OFFTOPIC, but I wonder if those red symbols are Aramaic. It's hard to pinpoint them, due to primitive sector art. It doesn't seem Enochian, as I didn't find the square there.

Please, I beg of you, thumbnail that image. I have to scroll right to view the entire damn thing and Csonicgo didn't even post it.

Oh, and uh... I don't know. It never occurred to me that Doom wasn't 3D until after I'd played the IWADs, so there's that.

TheMionicDonut said:

That they are called medkits.

I still think that... along with "jibs" being gibs (what are we sailors?)

Eris Falling said:

When I first played PC Doom, I thought Spectres were Nightmare Spectres

DUMBO! 8-)

Me too.

It took me a long time to realize that the game ran on a 256 color pallete and not true color. This is way before I got into doing any graphic editing and it's so obviously apparent that greens and browns turn into grays but that went completely unnoticed by me for years.

Also in that regard, I thought tan crates were red and gray crates were blue.

I thought there are two breeds of Demons: pink and brown. The illusion was of course caused by pink turning into brown in mid-darkness.

- I thought that there are cacodemons in the final dark room of e1m8.
- I though that invulnerablity doesn't work whil having a raging face (no glowing eyes + i got telefragged on map30)
- somebody defined the effect of invisiblity sphere to me "you're invincible as long as you're not killing enemies nor picking up powerups." (what the heck?)
- i thought that Archvile can be killed only with bfg.
- i thought that you must kill all demons to pass map30.

Scypek2 said:

- somebody defined the effect of invisiblity sphere to me "you're invincible as long as you're not killing enemies nor picking up powerups." (what the heck?)

This probably came from the fact the status bar face showed not-invulnerable faces when picking up stuff and extended sessions of shooting stuff.

i believed in the swingshot. now i think it's half placebo and half doom's horizontal autoaim.

Clonehunter said:

I always thought that berserk packs wore off like suits, and didn't last the whole level.

This. If I'm perfectly honest, I didn't know it gave your fist extra power, so it just seemed like it made me switch to fist when I didn't want it to. I used to avoid picking them up due to this. X-D

dew said:

i believed in the swingshot.

Me too, I even told all my friends about it.

i used to think some levels were designed to be impossible. particularly e3m7, because i for some reason couldn't figure out which switch raised the platform.

Darting in with a punch does more damage than just standing and flailing (I still do it though for mobility)

Cyberdemons take damage from barrel explosions (but I've seen so many barrel chains involving Cyberdemons that I don't feel so bad)

Also the swing shot thing

The Doom II manual description for the revenant confused me into thinking that they could somehow revive monsters like an arch-vile.

printz said:

I thought there are two breeds of Demons: pink and brown. The illusion was of course caused by pink turning into brown in mid-darkness.

I'm not sure why this rings such a bell, but I have a feeling I fell victim to something eerily similar to this. I don't think it was in Doom, however.

What the heck is this swing shot??

I believed for a long time that if an inactive monster got activated by being shot by a different monster (infighting), and then the monster killed the perpetrator without ever seeing the player, the monster would go back to being inactive.

NaturalTvventy said:

What the heck is this swing shot??

It's the false assumption that if you swing your SSG towards an opponent, your pellets will tend to clump together.

EarthQuake said:

The Doom II manual description for the revenant confused me into thinking that they could somehow revive monsters like an arch-vile.

I believed this myself for a very long time.

EarthQuake said:

I looked for evidence of the revenants brushing off revived demons and sending them on their way, but never did find any and eventually gave up on the idea.

As a kid i allways thought e1m1s starting door had a secret area behind it but when i got it for pc and learnd cheats (idspispopd) and went behind it to only find HOM

I thought that projectiles would cause less damage if you were running, particularly away from them.

I really believed this nonsense when I was a kid.

scifista42 said: (in the Stupid, totally unfounded Doom rumors thread)
When I was young, I believed that red firesticks in Doom II can sometimes create a lost soul. I was going through a corridor with firesticks and then a lost soul appeared and I thought it went from the firestick. Since that time, I've been even more scared when playing Doom because I expected attack from every firestick. I had believed it for years.