Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blackgaze

[WIP] Warhammer 40'000 - Storms of Hordes (Working Title)

Hi DoomWorld Forums,
What if it could be done. What if I could bring you the huge scale of Warhammer 40'000 as a computer game? Well it can be done, it will be done as a DOOM wad. I present to you Warhammer 40'000: Storms of Hordes (working title)

In this first game, you (Doomguy) will take the role of a Space Marine of your choice of chapter (Skins) to assist the Imperial Guard (Friendly Monsters) against a massive invasion of Orks (Monsters) in an Imperium City. This megawad will be 32 maps from ranging from ruin firefights to lines of endless trenches.

I want to create an experience for the player to be a part of the world, and see the size for it really stands for. By creating this wad It will able to hold thousands of monsters with (barely) slowing the game down, as well as being accessable to plays from all over the world. Although this will be receive the benefits of modern-day graphics, we all know that's not the reason we play DOOM, eh?

I will be using resources from the tabletop game, concepts arts and videogames to create this world. More recently, Space Marine was a huge influenced in this. Although every fan of the series has it's own view on the universe, hopefully my vision will satisfy you. The wad will be designed ground up with all new graphics & sprites, all the monsters will be newly DECORATED with a majority of the units from Codexs. Yes, there WILL be Commissars & Techpriests. You will even find some DECORATED citizens of the 40k world.

Now as you may tell, this project is very early, in fact you could say it just started. I know how the rules feel about very early projects but I will be needing help. I could have lots of screenshots of the level designs, or lots of Sprites to show but without help in the areas that I need, it feels pointless as it will be teasing something that won't happen.
One of the advantages to creating this in DOOM is that we wont have to wait years until it comes out, in fact, with the right team we Might get this out next year. I have notes for all the main MONSTERS, the level designs and gameplay features, and I will be working on the Graphical Sprites, DECORATE & Level Design, as well as some minor tweaks and general direction.
I am looking for:

- Texture Designer (graphics)
You will be in charge of creating the look of the world, for walls and tiles. I will be helping you with the resources and clean ups, but I can not do both forms of graphics alone.

- Sound and/or Music Designer
While music is optional for this wad, the sound will be an important feature. The Boltguns need to feel right, and the enemies need to sort as they are. Even ripping from other 40k games is acceptable for this free project, but that's rather last resort.

- *OPTIONAL* Sprite Designer (graphics)
There are a lot of monsters in this game. From Imperial Guardsmen, to Ork Slugga Boys. From Leman Russes to Ork Deffkoptas. While these won't look as pretty as the DOOM monsters, the use of 2D work is a lifesaver compared to 3D textures.
The reason this is optional is I will happily provide these graphics as my main job. You can see a few previews in the screenshots. But anyone is free to assist me and to save time/stress.

You can contact me via email/msn or Steam (preferred chat):

Email/MSN: spiderhead @ hotmail.co.uk
Steam ID: Blackgaze
(or click the link below)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blackgaze/

I already have some DOOM wadders willing to design levels. As I said, this is rather early so the WAD won't be playable until the first two levels are accessable at least. If I released them now there would be no textures and little new sprites and would ruin your experience into the 40k world.

The 32 maps are split into four sections. The first 12 maps are fought in the Ruins of an Imperium City.
The next 8 maps are within the Manufactorum district, expect huge maps and battles here.
The next 6 maps are within the Desert/Barrens, expect Ork blockades and ambushes here.
The last 4 maps are placed in the Ork Stronghold, where the final "boss" awaits.
... Oh wait, there's two left. That would be telling.

Not every Ork and Guardsman unit will be in the game, and those with multiple wargear choices might stick to one for gameplay sakes. But you see most of the big players.

Here's the current weapon listings for the Space Marine player. While I can increase to more weapons, I'm quite happy with the current system.
The slots have at least two sets of weapons. One is for light enemies, the other for heavier

1.1 Chainsword & Bolt Pistol
1.2 Chainsword & Plasma Pistol
1.3 Thunder Hammer

Melee will be useful in this game as it's more effective than shooting (compared to the chainsaw). But you're going to take a lot of damage if you stay in too long.

2.1 Boltgun
2.2 Heavy Bolter

While very effective, you're often low on ammo. Really to deal with the strong waves.

3.1 Lasgun/Hot-Shot Lasgun
3.2 Lascannon

Now THIS is your main gun. Normally a Space Marine wouldn't use a lasgun, but with so many guardsman dying around him this is an abundant in ammo! The Lascannon drains a lot of ammo per use.

4.1 Flamer
4.2 Heavy Flamer

Short range but very nasty. Hits a lot in it's range of view.

5.1 Meltagun
5.2 Multi-Melta

Much longer range but drains ammo really quickly. Best to deal with one target at a time.

6.1 Plasma Gun
6.2 Plasma Cannon

The strongest weapon, but can overheat if used too much. fast pace and high damage.

7.1 Frag Grenade
7.2 Krak Grenade

While low on stock, these can help areas in which you're surrounded.
A Melta Bomb might be added to this section.

Thanks for reading, Feel free to comment as I love to hear opinions and what you would like to see. I will do the best I can with this, but I know no local contacts that can help me, and without outside help this project will be heavily delayed. Have some... screenshots? I guess?

DECORATE test of Guardsmen fighting Ork Slugga Boys
Zombie Guys: Guardsman (you can see the lasguns)
Demons: Slugga Boys (they do fire sluggas too)
I can upload a video if you like to see, I've changed the A.I a bit too than just replacing the attack

The Guardsmen from above. Three different shadings. The middle is more likely to be chosen.
This is the idea for the spirit design, quick yet effective. You have to remember there's a LOT to be done.

The Grot (uncomplete) from above. They might die in 1 shot, but you don't want lots of them surrounding you!

How the Grot and Guardsman look ingame + Lighting testing.

Hellbent said:

Black lines in the art make the art look cartoony.

I'm aware of that (the face too), and this could be changed. But most of the time custom graphics people use for wads are rips or edits from other works, and these are done by Professionals, so no one has to hand-scratch a whole series of Imperial Guard, Imperium and Ork units (even some Space Marines too). To do a realistic work would be a nightmare to look right, even for DOOM.
This is the most time cost method I can think of right now without spending many years on this project. I've tested the look ingame and it looks fine, though this is to change depending on the wall & floor textures.

Two types.

Throughout the project, you find many unfinished (or proxy) textures like these, DON'T threat! They won't be the final design.
A lot of the inspired 40k architecture will have to keep the look of the concepts while being fitting for the level design. It helps having textures knowing what the building is meant to be and how I can play off this. For example this first level will start outside a small cathedral and by placing these temp-textures I will know where the windows are, where the gates would be to pass and of course more variety of textures.

Right now I'm further developing the first lot of Monsters (friendly too). I start posting some more shots when the Slugga Boys, Gretchin and Guardsman have more frames, I might play around with a few more (less cartoony) styles to see what's more fitting.
I try and keep the screenshots posted when something big is shown, but I like to at least keep the project alive to those keeping track.

You might even see the first look at the weapons too

I've always wanted to see a Warhammer wad for doom - unfortunately I don't have the skills to volunteer to help out and make this a reality although I will agree that those monster sprites for the guardsmen and gretchins look a bit cartoony although I suppose they would fit if the textures were similar in design.

Glad to see that you have progress even if you are at the beginning of the project.

I'll be interested in in later progress. =)

Foodles said:

I've always wanted to see a Warhammer wad for doom - unfortunately I don't have the skills to volunteer to help out and make this a reality although I will agree that those monster sprites for the guardsmen and gretchins look a bit cartoony although I suppose they would fit if the textures were similar in design.

It helps for me too, though if anyone else is willing to aid me with the Sprites then it could work out better.
I've got a few new visual ideas to play around, but I just can't capture as good as the DOOM monsters, I even tried copying some examples before, and it's just no good. Some form of a model to work from helps those a lot.

Another reason why I added this project early was for this reason. So I wouldn't have lots of work finished and the audience unhappy over the result.

Katamori said:

Glad to see that you have progress even if you are at the beginning of the project.

I'll be interested in in later progress. =)

I've never been excited as much for this project and I will keep pushing until there are no options left. I'm not saying it will get done, but I do all I can to make it work. And hopefully once more work is done, I can show my vision of what I'm trying to do here.

I won't update for a while until some new stuff is worth showing.

Hi, I was going to surprise you with a walking .gif of the new Grot, but I’ve been fighting a colour palette problem, which caused delays (you’ll need opengl settings to play this wad). Anyway you will see another animation test in good time, but you can at least see the new monster design:

I hope you like it, because it’s the best I can do and hopefully you find it acceptable. I mimicked general DOOM monster graphics and I do prefer this from the black line look (less cartoony-ish), and it didn’t take too much time longer. The last few weeks was finishing a few “other” things off and now there be more progress on this wad, so even if don’t update in a few days/week, please note that I AM working on it, just maybe always full-time.

Also I have finished my map entry for “Doom 2 The Way ID did”, which is maps created as if they were part of the DOOM2 map collection. My map “Hexsoil” is The Spirit World (map28) tribute as you challenge four layers of hell.
I think I did a mistake in the project, as most players have picked a current map template and rearranged the level, instead of making a new map using the styles and techniques of DOOM2, so… I don’t know if my map will make it.
My map can be tested here:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?postid=1102388#post1102388

So feel free to try and out and let me know what you think, the good, bad, bugs, balance and obviously the secrets. It’s not final but its pretty much done, just some things are being changed around. I would NOT recommend playing ultra violence+ due to the amount of monsters//lack of ammo.

You need to make the player's weapons cartoon-style to fit in with the new sprites.

The melta weapons are among the shortest-ranged weapons in the game. In game terms their range is not much better than a flamer's. They're anti-armour weapons. Maybe you would be better making them slow to fire with a charging cycle but when they hit, they deliver tremendous damage.

The plasma weapons would be the ranged weapons of choice compared to everything else you've made available. Perhaps make them faster-firing than the meltas but they should do less damage.

As for monsters, are you planning on having Ork Dreadnoughts? You could have Killa Kans who take about 3 melta blasts to kill, and a Deff Dred which is tougher but kicks out a ton of firepower, such as firing missiles and heavy bolter shots at the same time? You could have the missiles do half the damage of a rocket from Doom, but the dispersal pattern is erratic, say to the Dred's front 45-degree arc, to represent the Ork's crap aim? The Dreadnoughts could do immense damage with their close combat attacks.

How about making the Space Marine's armour regenerate? This could represent the sheer toughness of the armour combined with in-built self-repair routines run by its "machine spirit"? After all, these chaps pray to their wargear, they must be praying to something. It would contribute to the survival of the Space Marine during prolonged combat.

I once read that the weaponry of 40K is so deadly there is pretty much nothing to protect you from it but a Space Marine is the toughest, most feared, most utterly badass warrior in 40K, equipped with stuff that has been proven over ten thousand years of constant war. He should be very different to the soldier from Doom.

MajorRawne said:

You need to make the player's weapons cartoon-style to fit in with the new sprites.

The melta weapons are among the shortest-ranged weapons in the game. In game terms their range is not much better than a flamer's. They're anti-armour weapons. Maybe you would be better making them slow to fire with a charging cycle but when they hit, they deliver tremendous damage.

The plasma weapons would be the ranged weapons of choice compared to everything else you'd made available. Perhaps make them faster-firing than the meltas but they should do less damage.

As for monsters, are you planning on having Ork Dreadnoughts? You could have Killa Kans who take about 3 melta blasts to kill, and a Deff Dred which is tougher but kicks out a ton of firepower, such as firing missiles and heavy bolter shots at the same time? You could have the missiles do half the damage of a rocket from Doom, but the dispersal pattern is erratic, say to the Dred's front 45-degree arc, to represent the Ork's crap aim? The Dreadnoughts could do immense damage with their close combat attacks.

How about making the Space Marine's armour regenerate? This could represent the sheer toughness of the armour combined with in-built self-repair routines run by its "machine spirit"? After all, these chaps pray to their wargear, they must be praying to something. It would contribute to the survival of the Space Marine during prolonged combat.

I once read that the weaponry of 40K is so deadly there is pretty much nothing to protect you from it but a Space Marine is the toughest, most feared, most utterly badass warrior in 40K, equipped with stuff that has been proven over ten thousand years of constant war. He should be very different to the soldier from Doom.

"You need to make the player's weapons cartoon-style"
player's weapons cartoon-style
cartoon-style

God dammit, I tried to avoid that!
But seriously, there is no weapon yet. I might start with a Chainsword/Bolt Pistol soon.

What you've mentioned has already been in consideration. There are loopholes what you can do, but DOOM's limited and I will do the best I can with it.

Killa Kans and Deff Dreads are in, in fact I've got a great introduction idea for the Deff Dread, who is the Cyberdemon-difficulty of the wad. I will be playing around with damage types for these situations.

I am one who very much dislikes regenerating health, but even with low damage and bad aim... the scale will be too much to bare.
Your health amount will be much grander and there might be a little amount of health regen, but only to a point.
I was only using a Space Marine as doomguy for the player's perspective, he wont be using the same stats (etc).

I didn't mean cartoon style as an insult, I just couldn't think of another quick way to describe what I meant.

I don't like regenerating health either, I was purely thinking of the armour. Is it possible to permanently give the player 100% armour so it never reduces from that value? This would mean you remove all armour upgrades from the game which frankly I wouldn't miss.

MajorRawne said:

I didn't mean cartoon style as an insult, I just couldn't think of another quick way to describe what I meant.

I don't like regenerating health either, I was purely thinking of the armour. Is it possible to permanently give the player 100% armour so it never reduces from that value? This would mean you remove all armour upgrades from the game which frankly I wouldn't miss.

haha, I was just joking. It's merely the use of colours for the orks, it's not easy to do without going ultra realism... which isn't easy in this state.

Armour might be a play on AP weapons. For example Grots will never remove your armour, but Kustom mega Blastas will.

TheEndOfUs said:

The new monster sprites look cool

They are going to stay, though I hope the rest (and other directions) look just as fine too.

I be working a bit more on them this week, but don't expect another update for a while, I need more visual evidence.

I mentioned before that you can choose your Space Marine chapter via skins, but for the single player map series... why should be the main chapter? I'm leaning towards Imperial Fists for a fondness of them.

Ultramarines is a certain no (though they still have a skin).

I can imagine those sprites combined with your colorful textures looking awesome in-game! So far I like them even more than the stock doom sprites, which look somewhat "muddy" and not as "clean" as yours.
Keep it up, I am going to keep an eye on this.

The last few weeks I've been moving things around my house and its delayed process on this wad.

But the worst news is that it might eventually halt.
I was willing to spend months upon months (maybe even year+) to create this wad, I knew how I wanted it and what I had to do. But unlike other wads, they generally have the resources already and mostly require script and level editing to complete.

I was hoping I could start ahead on the graphics I would provide and hopefully people who might help the project might be interested once they see more. But I can't take this chance as the whole project will fall apart if I don't get help later.
I can work alone, but this is too project is too wide in areas that I cannot master them all.

I'm not saying this project is cancelled yet, but I need one more push for assistance. Since it's graphics I need assistance with, I might have to look out the forums on art sites, you know... the source. (any recommended sites will be grateful to revive the project)

Please, if anyone might have a trial, let me know.

-update-

I slept on the thought, and this project might be remade into something else using the 40k theme. I think this project was too close to "Space Marine" and there are other options out there.
Current thoughts are a Doom Warz inspired game using all the races of 40k, or a perspective from a Guardsman/Commissar.

Let me know if you have any suggestions where to take this.