Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ixfd64

Tricks of the Doom (Programming) Gurus and 3D Game Alchemy

I'm sure every Doomer know of these two books. I'm aware that they're quite old and mostly out of date, but I'm thinking about buying a copy of each for collection purposes. As such, I have two questions:

1. I've noticed that some copies of Tricks of the Doom Gurus are actually titled Tricks of the Doom Programming Gurus. Is there any difference between the two versions?

2. 3D Game Alchemy is said to be the second edition of Tricks of the Doom Gurus and supposedly contains a lot of updated content, particularly the Hexen-related stuff. However, 3D Game Alchemy is actually shorter by about 100 pages. Is it really a second edition, or is it more of a second volume?

Thanks.

1. So far as I know - Tricks of the Doom Programming Gurus is the print version, while Tricks of the Doom Gurus is an 'electronic' version that was published on the Instant Doom Levels CD.

2. 3D Game Alchemy is an update. The mapping tutorials have been expanded (looks to be mostly for Hexen) and to offset that they removed a couple of hundred pages describing how to use various DOS-based editors and utilities.

To confuse the issue a little when you go searching for copies, my copy of Tricks of the Doom Programming Gurus arrived in a box bearing the title Doom Companion and I've seen re-boxed copies of 3D Game Alchemy offered on eBay as Level Master V.

They're still useful for vanilla Doom editing. I only recently got a copy of TotDPG and learned some stuff that I hadn't seen mentioned before. The online information is scattered across wiki, forums, various websites, /idgames text files, .etc. whereas the book has most of that info condensed and organized into chapters. The tutorials are pretty good too, even if you don't use the same editor as the author.

If you want to know more about the more fundamental 'behind scene' workings of a game,
rather than just making maps for DOOM, then you should also take a look at

I have both books and recommend buying them both. The first edition is more comprehensive while the second rectifies a number of the errors in the original (from incorrect linedef special descriptions to the speculation that two Arch-Viles could resurrect each other).

Sorry if this thread is a little old now, but I have a couple more questions:

1. I'm thinking about placing an order for both books in a few days. But from what I've noticed, old computer books sold online are often missing their CDs. The problem is, many item descriptions don't indicate if the CD is present. Online marketplaces like eBay and Amazon have policies requiring the seller to indicate missing components, but some people on the eBay forum are still saying that I should be careful. But then again, I rarely see feedback complaining of missing CDs. So for those of you have frequently buy books online, how often have you received one with a missing CD, if ever?

2. I've also heard that both books were sold both with and without a box. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

1. When in doubt - ask the seller. Sometimes there's no reply, in which case I draw my own conclusions and spend my money elsewhere.

2. Can't say for sure but they probably were, given the books and boxes have different barcodes and ISBN numbers. I'd grab a boxed copy if the price is reasonable, they have corrugated cardboard liners which do a good job of protecting the contents.

Yeah, I've asked the sellers, but I've never gotten a reply. The CDs aren't that important, though, so I might decide to take a gamble. If worst comes to worst, then I'll just know to avoid that seller in the future.

Tricks of the Doom Programming Guru's comes with a book, the set is actually called Doom Companion and also published by SAMS. My copy is boxed. My copy of 3D Game Alchemy is also boxed w/book.

I just ordered the two books (as well as the Duke Nukem 3D Level Design Handbook). *fingers crossed*

I still have the "Tricks of the Doom Gurus" book lying around in this house (in room likely, and intact CD) somewhere and I've read through most of the book a number of times because I just enjoyed it when I was still new to level editing.

Good news and bad news. My copy of 3D Game Alchemy came without the CD. But when I contacted the seller regarding this issue, they issued me a full refund for both this book and the Duke Nukem 3D one, as well as let me keep both books. So I basically got them for free.

In any case, I'm now the proud owner of two classic Doom books. ;-)