Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Prepare For Chaos

I'm not complaining, but I'd like to point out that vertical mouse sensitivity in COD.EXE is completely borked on my system, whereas it works perfectly fine in Boom, MBF, PrBoom. Even if I max out vert. sense, it doesn't move forward/back at all (and I rely heavily on this).

Thought I'd make this known, though I don't expect anyone to fix this, having read the previous comments.

Grrr, why can't I bind key 7 on the number pad to strafe left? It keeps taking me to the options! That's retarded. Man, I was looking forward to playing this too.

Lament said:

Hmm, sounds like a great wad.

Too bad I can't play it. :\ Where's a Linux port?

No plans for a Linux version cause Eternity hasn't got a Linux version, sorry. If that ever changes and I can find someone to compile it for me then I'll happily do it.

Rellik said:

Grrr, why can't I bind key 7 on the number pad to strafe left? It keeps taking me to the options! That's retarded. Man, I was looking forward to playing this too.

7 is home, and that's been a short cut to the menu since the MBF days. Head to the key bindings and change it to something else. Drop me a line at joel@gginc.co.nz if it still doesn't work - you might've found a bug in Eternity.

I'm not complaining, but I'd like to point out that vertical mouse sensitivity in COD.EXE is completely borked on my system, whereas it works perfectly fine in Boom, MBF, PrBoom. Even if I max out vert. sense, it doesn't move forward/back at all (and I rely heavily on this).

Does the plain Eternity port (http://www.doomworld.com/eternity/) do this too? If it is then it's a bug in Eternity. If not then I screwed something up. E-mail me at joel@gginc.co.nz with what you find out and I'll get it sorted.

Linguica said:

Any port based off Boom doesn't have any sound on my machine so I can't really play it. I hope a Windows port of the engine is released soon.

Allegro sucks the big one.

Erik said:

played to map3 so far, really detailed architecture and seems to lack at least some of the P:AR switch crazyness.

I liked P:AR's "switch craziness." It's what makes P:AR better than COD, IMO. Lutz needs to finish it dammit =)

Three quick things:
1) As noted in the text file (you know, that thing ending in ".TXT" that actually answers some of the questions/comments posed in this forum), Joel is the engine guy, and I am glad to see that he has offered to check for the bugs several people have found. Any comments/questions should go to him -- if nothing else, the Windows port of Eternity will be that much better thanks to the bugs you find.

2) Since a lot of you (or at least, those who post messages here) can't seem to play CoD, I am toying with the idea of releasing a ZDoom version -- basically, the levels with all extra CoD content stripped out. I don't know if such a thing would be worth the effort, but it's at least some sort of option. (Don't say the Chaos Crew has poor customer service). Also, a word of warning: both the Millennium and Mordeth projects are based on the Eternity engine, so maybe it's worth trying to fiddle around until you get it to work...

3) I'm rather surprised at how segmented the community has become -- person A only uses port X, while person B needs special mouse controls, etc. I'm not complaining, and I'm certainly not criticizing anyone or any port, but it struck me as weird. The original game we all still worship was a DOS game with really only one control scheme. Anyway -- mini-rant completed.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to play this thing?

I was able to play it great in every aspect except for Allegro or whatever fucking the sound in the ass.

I've just finished setting it up. Everything works fine. 'Course I'm running Win98 and don't have any weird hardware :) Runs OK under Windows, but much better in Dos Mode. All mouse functions work as intended. Vertical sensitivity included. Mlook works well too. Sound and music work like they should, just like in Boom and MBF (which is to say OK but not the best). So, Joel, I don't think you've screwed anything up. Everything that worked properly in Boom still works properly or as well (or badly if that's the case) as it did before.

Regarding the specific Eternity features and COD itself, it's too soon for me to tell for certain as I've only spent about fifteen minutes farting around in the first level, but I like what I've seen so far :)

stphrz said:

I've just finished setting it up. Everything works fine. 'Course I'm running Win98 and don't have any weird hardware :)

Yeah, that's exactly what I have. Maybe that's got something to do with it. I just go to start --> MS-DOS prompt, and it works fine (without sound)

Runs OK under Windows, but much better in Dos Mode.

Hmm, I haven't tried booting to DOS mode yet, I'll have to try that.

If you are going to drop to Dos Mode, make sure you have the proper statements set in your autoexec.bat and dosstart.bat. You will need to have the dosstart.bat load a Dos mouse driver as well (if you use the mouse).

My autoexec.bat

SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIOAPP {You will need to      }
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6  {change these according}
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E                  {to your specific setup}
My dosstart.bat
C:\WINDOWS\CTPNP                         {Loads the same settings used by Windows for my soundcard in Dos}
\BIN\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000               {CD Rom driver (not needed in this case)}
\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE                         {Dos Mouse driver}
BTW the dosstart.bat should be placed in your Windows folder.

If it doesn't work right away, (ie allegro not detecting your soundcard, try messing around with some of the soundcard settings in the options menu)

Glad to see some people are actually playing and enjoying this thing. I can not emphasis enough that the first thing to do is to reboot in DOS mode if at all possible. James Haley has offered to compile a Windows version of the engine when WinEternity is ready, so that should keep (almost) everyone happy.

JoelMurdoch said:

Glad to see some people are actually playing and enjoying this thing. I can not emphasis enough that the first thing to do is to reboot in DOS mode if at all possible. James Haley has offered to compile a Windows version of the engine when WinEternity is ready, so that should keep (almost) everyone happy.

Not only that, but the hires modes actually work on my machine!!, unlike MBF :P They are fast too :) :) :)

One more thing, if you are going to run it in Dos Mode make sure you have a copy of cwsdpmi.exe in the same directory as COD.exe. If you have Boom, you should already have it.

Aardappel said:

ok, flame me if you want, but is it possible to play this using a more bearable port, like jdoom or legacy, or failing that, zdoom?

what features are in this engine that are not in any of the above? or is cod.exe just a "dongle" devised by the "real doomers don't need mlook" jihad?

Hey, some of us like no mlook.Use Legacy if you wish.I also like mlook so don't feel I'm against it.

This is my first post.Whoo hoo....

stphrz said:

Not only that, but the hires modes actually work on my machine!!, unlike MBF :P They are fast too :) :) :)

In MBF you can make the speed slower.It runs at Hires VERY fast on my old pentium.My faster computer is XP so you know I treasure my pentium. :)

Edit: Whoops, I didn't know the underscore (_) seperator was automatic. :P

Yes, I'm playing this. and it's alot of fun. :)

I dunno what people are getting at complaining about you using a revised port. It would be the same if you used ETERNITY as it is. the wad might have worked with Legacy. but there's small chance of that, cause Eternity have lots of features Legacy don't etc. are this flamewar gonna fire up next time someone release a zdoom/EDGE/Legacy/whatever wad? Well, I remember people complainging to Marc when he released Qdoom, about EDGE. But WTH. get over it. The people who are working year after year to finish a project. Do it cause they want to, and they like whatever port they use. There's no point in people complaining. It just makes people more reluctant to making new projects. cause all you ever get is a bunch of people complaining about how much it suck that you used whatever port/game you like.

BTW. Eternity rules.

Ebola.
Unholy Software Leader.
Team Eternity Graphics Dude. (atleast when Quasar alow me to do some work)

Yeah, Boom/MBF, you know, where the game actually plays like it should?

Are you kidding? The 180 degree flip key ruins the gameplay far more than jumping and mouselook.

Heh, sorry again for flaking on you Joel. I'm having a very shitty week. :) Looks pretty bitchin' so far.

Will this wad work with the Millenium engine? Just curious...

I was able to play it too, though I think my I810 graphics (yes intel graphics cards suck, but i have no money =( ) was not able to run high edge mode. I must admit I have seen the nicest levels and graphics in a long time of a PC/TC/Megawad. After level 3 the levels look real nice.

Rellik said:

Heh, sorry again for flaking on you Joel. I'm having a very shitty week. :) Looks pretty bitchin' so far.

Will this wad work with the Millenium engine? Just curious...

It'll work but it won't be completeable. Both are Eternity based but use different custom things.

kristus said:

BTW. Lutz, awesome maps. Noone can make them like you can. ;)

Agreed. And this comes from the guy who saw the first preview of his Millennium level ;)

I am toying with the idea of releasing a ZDoom version

ZDOOM plays it now, except some of your "things" are new. The sound borking issue is a BIG one for SBLIVE users (Allegro's fault). Actually looks better to me at 1024x768 in ZDOOM - better lighting too.

If you make a ZDOOM version, levels can be greatly enhanced by using slopes - rather than stepped approximations. Plus the graphics can be hi-res, very flexible sound substitution and you can actually script stuff fairly easily (just a short list of many).

Barring any additions, it's duck soup to port it to ZDOOM.

I don't know if such a thing would be worth the effort, but it's at least some sort of option. (Don't say the Chaos Crew has poor customer service).

I think it's excellent service and shows you are listening. Hell yeah it's worth the effort. If you really look, you'll see what ZDOOM can do. I think the biggest problem here will be one of defending your decision to use ZDOOM when you examine the possibilities:)

Also, a word of warning: both the Millennium and Mordeth projects are based on the Eternity engine, so maybe it's worth trying to fiddle around until you get it to work...

Well, that's for them to worry about. I hope they have the same attitude you do. LEARNING something new is difficult, but often is well worth the effort.

Porting to Windows is NOT that easy without having a compiler. The quickest way to do this is to use SOME OTHER WINDOW PORT as a base and put your mods in there.

You can get Visual Studio Prof for around $250 on EBAY. I have extra original enterprise copies in Spanish, Italian and some others from an MSDN subscription, just NOT English. Going to put them on EBAY myself.

Ho-oly shit..! Awesome wad. Dark, incredibly lit cave complexes full of demons adn hostile-looking 3D machinery. I couldn't believe it when in some parts I saw the starry sky and all the wrecked buildings plus the 3d bridges/ceilings. Then I got to map12... So far, I'm on map06 and it just keeps getting better. :) "Hydrosfear" alone took me 3 hours to beat.

Sweeeet!

Unfortunately WinME + Dos-based port = one pissed off player.

Virgil said:

Ho-oly shit..! Awesome wad. Dark, incredibly lit cave complexes full of demons adn hostile-looking 3D machinery. I couldn't believe it when in some parts I saw the starry sky and all the wrecked buildings plus the 3d bridges/ceilings. Then I got to map12... So far, I'm on map06 and it just keeps getting better. :) "Hydrosfear" alone took me 3 hours to beat.

...It's good to get some positive feedback -- or rather, any comments on the levels at all. Map06 is probably the "tightest" map I have ever made, meaning it's has consistent themeing and isn't so crazy with the detail, yet it's still good to look at. Also, map12 was going to be a SmashDM level before that project disappeared; I think it actually converted well to a single-player level, abiet one with slightly different gameplay than normal.

Anyway, thanks -- at this point, we'll take anything that isn't complaints or bug issues with the engine.

Well I'm on XP but I managed to check out a couple of levels with ZDOOM.

Wow.

What I really like of these locations is that thumbnails of it look like something out of the Unreal engine. I guess that tells a lot of the lighting.

Yeah, those maps are awesome! As i said earlyer, I'm using Windows Millennium Edition, and it has few issues with dos programs. The only problem is with dos games is that soundFX go slower and then disappear completely after 15 - 30 minutes of playing, after that i need to reboot to get them work again (playing Strife is real pain in the ass). Any way that's not really big problem and i am enjoying playing that. Good work!

Windows version of the engine would be nice, ZDoom version also, but i could live without it.