Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

The Ultimate DOOM: No End In Sight - Released

Im liking E2 a bit more. I think because I had already played Receiving Station and Proving Grounds, it was kinda off to a slow start. I don't really like Proving Grounds all that much either. E2M3, M4, and M5 totally make up for it though. I'm on M6 now, it feels way different being so dark and dry of ammo and health pickups.

Where's the status bar shown in the screenshots? Also this wad could use some CWILv and episode name graphics.

40oz said:

Im liking E2 a bit more. I think because I had already played Receiving Station and Proving Grounds, it was kinda off to a slow start. I don't really like Proving Grounds all that much either. E2M3, M4, and M5 totally make up for it though. I'm on M6 now, it feels way different being so dark and dry of ammo and health pickups.

Where's the status bar shown in the screenshots? Also this wad could use some CWILv and episode name graphics.

I left all the bells and whistles out of the beta, for no particular reason.

Some of the levels are in grave danger of VPO, and some of them do VPO.

I'll have the levels shortly however.

Liking It so far :) Also that status bar looks nice too :D

I don't know if there's ever been a poll for Megawad With Best Secrets but if there were I'd vote for this one. I've played through the first 2 episodes a few times now and I still can't get 100% for secrets on some of the levels. Edited to remove red key spoiler.

aldiboronti said:

I don't know if there's ever been a poll for Megawad With Best Secrets but if there were I'd vote for this one. I've played through the first 2 episodes a few times now and I still can't get 100% for secrets on some of the levels. BTW is it ***ANTI-SPOILERZ***?

Thanks! I worry about some of my secrets, because I don't shy away from the one-shot-only type here and there. The original game had it's fair share of 'em, but I think they're generally out of style. Which levels are you still not at 100% yet?

Well currently you can nab the red key by simply running full steam ahead into the ledge with outstretched arms and nab it. But this is a mistake and has been fixed. Now do ya think you could edit your post with an antispoiler?

Edited the spoiler out. Just cracked the final secret in e1m5, the problem in raising parts of the walkway. Wow, that was tricky!

Some of the secrets I haven't yet found (there are more but these are the levels I remember offhand): a secret in e1m1, I can only find 3 in that level. And the big one packed with secrets, e2m7. 13 of them of which, after playing it three times, I have a measly 8. But I shall persevere. I love that map by the way, one of my favorites so far!

aldiboronti said:

Edited the spoiler out. Just cracked the final secret in e1m5, the problem in raising parts of the walkway. Wow, that was tricky!

Some of the secrets I haven't yet found (there are more but these are the levels I remember offhand): a secret in e1m1, I can only find 3 in that level. And the big one packed with secrets, e2m7. 13 of them of which, after playing it three times, I have a measly 8. But I shall persevere. I love that map by the way, one of my favorites so far!

Ah, glad you like that one! I think it needs some serious monster/health/ammo tweaks. Since it's such a big map I'm sure it'll be hard to find all the secrets. A hint: there's a chain of secrets with the first link being triggered by the secret in the dead center of the map.

interest bump GO

How much more has been done on this? I'm really REALLY looking forward to playing it.

Thanks for the interest!

The three of us are all working on our final levels of the project, but given the rate that certain members of the team work it may still be a good long while before it's ready for full release (can't rush genius!).

I am, however, working on completing e3m6, the last incomplete level of e3. Once it's done I plan on releasing a second beta that contains tweaks to the first two episodes and e3 in it's completeness. Maybe a few weeks to a month for that. The interest bump might help speed that along :)

Got some tutti fruti on those low bridges over the nukage in E1M2. I mean, right near the start, after turning left and going a short ways. Some of the landings (dead-end of nukage tunnel) also has same TF.

hex11 said:

Got some tutti fruti on those low bridges over the nukage in E1M2. I mean, right near the start, after turning left and going a short ways. Some of the landings (dead-end of nukage tunnel) also has same TF.

Fixed! Thanks.

I'm torn between helping with testing or waiting for a full package. One one hand I like the looks of this enough to want to help, but on the other I'm big on first impressions in a WAD.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

E1M4 has small HOM visible facing East (ang = 0xff000000) at position x,y = (0x0a35583b, 0xfb86eda4). Hope I got those correct, had to use IDMYPOS instead of taking screenshot (F1 just brought up help menu, forgot to use -devparm option).

Btw is that custom status bar in the OP screenshots supposed to be in this beta? I just get regular SB with chocolate-doom. I'm also using Freedoom IWAD but that probably doesn't matter...

Hmm, I think what NT means by his post is "Xaser is a lazy git who needs to finish his map." :P

It should definitely be out some time this year, though, if I'm allowed to speculate. :P

more like No Release In Sight. here's a quick bugreport for all maps: add 3 more berserks and 5 more radsuits.

i kid, i kid. 5 radsuits are nowhere near enough!

hex11 said:

E1M4 has small HOM visible facing East (ang = 0xff000000) at position x,y = (0x0a35583b, 0xfb86eda4). Hope I got those correct, had to use IDMYPOS instead of taking screenshot (F1 just brought up help menu, forgot to use -devparm option).

Btw is that custom status bar in the OP screenshots supposed to be in this beta? I just get regular SB with chocolate-doom. I'm also using Freedoom IWAD but that probably doesn't matter...

Welpers I don't know how to find that location, but I'm certainly interested in fixing HOMs. Let me know if you can take a screen.

Xaser said:

Hmm, I think what NT means by his post is "Xaser is a lazy git who needs to finish his map." :P

It should definitely be out some time this year, though, if I'm allowed to speculate. :P

With you cranking out top notch work on ever single DOOM project currently in existence, you are the last guy I'd call a lazy git, most assuredly.

Late 2012/Early 2013 for a full release date I'm thinking.

dew said:

more like No Release In Sight. here's a quick bugreport for all maps: add 3 more berserks and 5 more radsuits.

i kid, i kid. 5 radsuits are nowhere near enough!

Jeez Louis Expealidoucous you people!!

I think the equivalent editor coordinates might be x,y = (2613, -2950). Well that's what you get if you chop off the two least significant bytes and convert hex->dec on the rest (with the exception of a leading 0xf0000000 used to indicate a negative number, but in the case of positive numbers IDMYPOS just returns a 7-digit hex string).

This could be wrong, I'm not sure. Didn't check the source code, just used the examples in here to find the pattern:
http://cd.textfiles.com/sv/svgames9501/CDR17/D2SECRET.ZIP

Edit: this should help a bit - the black vertical bar is the HOM...

TF on E1M5:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg84/scaled.php?server=84&filename=doom00.png&res=landing

There was also something weird going on along the East-West walkway in front of the red door. Some red pixels on the floor (probably from monster guts) sort of "followed" me around on my way towards the red door. This happened on both walkways, while approaching the center room from either side.

hex11 said:

TF on E1M5:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg84/scaled.php?server=84&filename=doom00.png&res=landing

There was also something weird going on along the East-West walkway in front of the red door. Some red pixels on the floor (probably from monster guts) sort of "followed" me around on my way towards the red door. This happened on both walkways, while approaching the center room from either side.

Thanks for the info! Most appreciated.

E1M7: some TF on the second step to the NW of the blur sphere that's on a wedge-shaped ledge in the southernmost part of the map. If you jump off that ledge (while facing West) and head North a few steps, it's below that first open doorway.

(yeah I forgot -devparm again...)

Edit: something I missed earlier - in this spot I'm near the start, and directly facing the combat armor way down below:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg823/scaled.php?server=823&filename=doom00.png&res=landing
If you stick your nose right into the midtexture and scan all around the big room, you'll eventually notice some HOM effects, like in this screenshot. It's also possible to VPO at this location. I don't know how you'd fix that, other than just blocking off the window entirely (no midtexture), since the area down below is big and intricate.

Never did figure out how to get that armor btw. I found the switch that lowers the pillar, but the armor is still on that 64-tall block in the middle of the room. Maybe I missed something... And that reminds me, near the YK door, there are 3 "secret" nukage pits, and a control room with switches that give access to them. The first one has a box of shell, and it's easy to grab. The second one (backpack) is farther away and it kept closing just before I got there (only tried a couple times though). But the third one (soulsphere) is even farther, and I'm pretty sure it's not possible without doing SR or maybe even SR50 all the way? (probably not something I can manage under 100 tries) But at least those are bonus items rather than something like exit key... (yeah I suck at Doom and should go back to playing Tetris)

hex11 said:

E1M7: some TF on the second step to the NW of the blur sphere that's on a wedge-shaped ledge in the southernmost part of the map. If you jump off that ledge (while facing West) and head North a few steps, it's below that first open doorway.

(yeah I forgot -devparm again...)

Edit: something I missed earlier - in this spot I'm near the start, and directly facing the combat armor way down below:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg823/scaled.php?server=823&filename=doom00.png&res=landing
If you stick your nose right into the midtexture and scan all around the big room, you'll eventually notice some HOM effects, like in this screenshot. It's also possible to VPO at this location. I don't know how you'd fix that, other than just blocking off the window entirely (no midtexture), since the area down below is big and intricate.

Never did figure out how to get that armor btw. I found the switch that lowers the pillar, but the armor is still on that 64-tall block in the middle of the room. Maybe I missed something... And that reminds me, near the YK door, there are 3 "secret" nukage pits, and a control room with switches that give access to them. The first one has a box of shell, and it's easy to grab. The second one (backpack) is farther away and it kept closing just before I got there (only tried a couple times though). But the third one (soulsphere) is even farther, and I'm pretty sure it's not possible without doing SR or maybe even SR50 all the way? (probably not something I can manage under 100 tries) But at least those are bonus items rather than something like exit key... (yeah I suck at Doom and should go back to playing Tetris)

Thanks for all the feedback as always. Issues will be addressed, I am sure.

There's more to that soulsphere secret than just runnin' it :)

hex11 said:

E2M2 got some TF on steps...

Facing North, BK is at 6 'o clock:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bl70df

NW of map, facing East:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8w06mv

North side of map in nukage tunnel, facing West (also the other side of this walkway has TF):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/idfs3q

Down some steps, facing West (I think?):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/s6tc3w

Boy howdy do I ever fail at steps. All fixed!

NEIS is going to need some new resources. If there are any artists out there that want to contribute, drop me a line and show me what you got. I'm thinking about....

New skies for the first three episodes, and maybe the fourth. Should be horizontally and vertically wrapping. Similar to the original skies in theme would be a big bonus.

New in-between-level pics.

New end pics.

New music? Originally we'd planned on using the original stuff, but I'm starting to find a lot of good stuff out there. I haven't discussed this with the team yet.

Also, be expecting Beta 2.0 with a full, but rough, e3 very soon! (Right Xaser?:)

NT, I hear, (about 2 posts up) that you were looking for some skies. Are you still? I have a few you might like to look at.

Also great work on this. :)