Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Green Herring

Community Chest 4 (NEW HOTFIX NOW ON IDGAMES/!)

Why not fix it? Nobody has made any demos for this map yet so there shouldn't be any problems, right?

Sorry about that, guys.

Here's my 2008-era mapping practice for ya - I had the white road lines set to block monsters for some ungodly reason, and so that carried over when I copied some of those lines over to the area with the Spider Mastermind.

I'm so stupid I don't even notice my own stupidity. :/

[disregard this fix, TGH has it taken care of]

Jimmy91 said:

[disregard this fix, TGH has it taken care of]

Does this mean there will be an update to cchest4.wad by TGH ? If so I hope he fixes the issues with maps 18, 20 and 24 as well.

There will be an update soon, with the described errors in MAP18, MAP20, and MAP24 fixed. I will wait at least another day for any more critical bugs, before I release it. Stay tuned.

I guess I'm partially to blame for the MAP18 bug since I never caught it in my detailing testing sessions.

But you don't have to blame me too if you don't want to ;)

Keeper of Jericho said:

Don't know if it's been stated yet, but there's a mistake for map 13. The automap reads "Viral Impact" instead of "Viral Implant".

A ZMAPINFO typo.

Been watching Matt534Dog's LPs of Community Chest, and wow, the levels became lengthy and difficult after the first few. Now, I'm beginning to see how Community Chest 4 has huge maps, but watching those videos, they are nicely well done and have outstanding visuals, and plenty of action to keep them from being tedious. Better than big, ugly, and boring maps, as Community Chest 3 has some like that.

It is an updated version of the level, in which bugs that were reported to the author at the time of release (including massive sector bleed) were fixed, and other bugs corrected as well (including lightning inconsistences). It is a polished version of the original. It would indeed be completely silly if there were no differences between the two versions at all, and it got put in the main megawad, but that's not the case here.

The level was put in as an easter egg because I felt bad for Snakes after playing it, as 1) I felt the level was very good, better than the vast majority of the other levels that didn't make it; and 2) the only reason the level didn't make it was because it wasn't finished on time. It would've been an outright shoe-in for the main megawad if it was finished on time. So I contacted Snakes to get his permission to put it in as an easter egg map, and there you have it.

Although, I was waiting for someone outside the WAD's development team to find and report its existence, but I guess you can't have everything. Oh, yes, and you would've found out who the author was if you beat the level, so you didn't have to ask about it.

In any case, I'll be waiting for more error reports, then I'll release the update later today. Don't wait until the last minute to report bugs, do it as soon as you can!

The Green Herring said:

I'll be waiting for more error reports, then I'll release the update later today. Don't wait until the last minute to report bugs, do it as soon as you can!

One last one from me ...

map 21 - misalignment of mid tex KS_STWI5 at lines 3343 and 3346. Noticeable at vertex 3134.

Will you be posting straight to the archives or giving an external link first to check and make sure the remaining bugs are fixed ?

I could not find any errors in map 35.

For a long time I've been content to see "Secrets: 0%" upon level exit, but there's just something intriguing about MAP08. I refuse to exit until I've reached that yellow skull. I've found about a million other secrets since I started going through this map with a fine-toothed comb but I still can't find a way into that little nook. I don't want to ruin it by checking an editor, either. Feel free to spoil it for me, though. How the heck do you get it?

I don't know but I've heard that you can "break" some secrets. Like there is some secret doors that open only once. So I guess you'll have to play this map forever.

No. There used to be a one-time-use-only door trigger in MAP08, but it was replaced by a repeatable one before the final release. There is no way to "break" a secret in the final release that I am aware of.

As for the yellow skull on MAP08, the path to the yellow skull can only be reached in a certain way. Try to find out how; looking around and experimenting helps. If you can't figure out how...

Spoiler

There is an elevator in the cave that activates only when you cross its outdoor entrance. Run as fast as you can from the outdoor side to the elevator, and the door at the top will open (this can be done repeatedly). The small cavern beyond this door leads to the yellow skull.

(I recalled all of this without looking it up; this explanation has been edited after looking it up only to note that the door opens automatically, rather than you having to open it manually from that side.)

In map21, with prboom, the insivible bridge with the candles (in the red key section) lifts up, but not the candles. Is it a bug?

ducon said:

In map21, with prboom, the insivible bridge with the candles (in the red key section) lifts up, but not the candles. Is it a bug?

There is only one semi-invisible platform with candles on it in the map that I know of, and it is not in the red-key section, or lowerable (in fact the only invisible platform that should move is the lift before entering the yellow key section.) Would you mind taking a screenshot of what you mean?

OK, it’s not a bridge that lowers or goes up, it’s only an invisible bridge.

ducon said:

OK, it’s not a bridge that lowers or goes up, it’s only an invisible bridge.

Ah, yes that is one of those instances where I use a taller than 255 mid-texture, which does not render correctly in Boom and Prboom (hence why the bridge appears to be completely invisible). However, this issue is fixed in most newer boom-derived ports though, including the suggested prboom+ and eternity ports among others.

That is what I was trying to imply when I said "among others". I just name-dropped prboom+ and eternity since those two ports were mentioned in the OP (and because prboom+ is the next closest thing to what ducon was originally using.) =P

Well I just finished CC4 and all I can say guys is Bravo. This is now one of my favourite wads. Some of the levels in this megawad are simply stunning.

The time, energy and sheer love of Doom shines through in each and every level. I had so much fun playing it and just want to thank everyone involved.

I played on UV and that final level was an absolute bastard, curse whoever put so many arch viles in!

My only criticism would be the earlier levels seem to be tougher than some of the later ones but all in all its just an amazing wad.

Thank you so much for your time and effort.

Heres to you guys!

I've been having mostly a good time playing this wad, though I got stuck in maps 14 and 17.. in 18 though I was struggling to find the red keycard for like 15 minutes until this:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/66055976/Screenshot_Doom_20120907_165152.png
Apparently you have to see a tiny switch through that window, shoot it to open a locked door in order to reach the keycard. WTF? :/ Granted, there's a red arrow on the floor but it's really hard to notice it.

[snip]

Here is the promised update to Community Chest 4. It will not be uploaded to idgames/ until the end of the day, however, in case further bugs are discovered until then. The WAD has a different filename for now to avoid confusion; when it's uploaded to idgames/, it'll have the same one as before. In any case, enjoy! You can see the list of changes in changes.txt.

EDIT (Sept. 9, 2012 12:42 PM PDT): Link removed because the final version of the update was released.

A couple for map 23 ...

1. Wrong texture on line 3281 - should be BRICKPL1.

2. Missing upper texture on line 3243 - should be SUPPORT3.