Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Make level that won't work in Freedoom?

Is there any way to make a level wad that only works with Doom 1, but causes Freedoom errors? I'm thinking about making a level based on an Id map, but the Doom EULA would only allow me to play it in Doom (it's based on work copyrighted by Id), not in Freedoom (I would give free access to something Id had created, i.e. the base of the map).

There were some maps that wouldn't play, due to bogus PNAMES/TEXTURE lumps. But the workaround is to load a second PWAD like cct.wad,

Anyway, if some Doom map doesn't work with Freedoom, it's a bug to fix...

Do they still allow uploading modified IWAD maps to /idgames though?

There's no way I can think of, unless you want to disable certain source ports (e.g. make it BOOM incompatible with a broken DEHACKED lump).

Besides, it's the responsibility of players to honor their EULAs.

andrewj said:

Besides, it's the responsibility of players to honor their EULAs.

Being humans and curious, they will not do that.

printz said:

I find your lack of faith in people disturbing.....

andrewj said:

I find your lack of faith in people disturbing.....

I find your assumption that most people read EULAs amusing.

Hell, you could put a clause that the user must give up their firstborn to you as a sex slave and they'd still click OK.

andrewj said:

Fwiw, that was a Star Wars reference / joke.

Yeah, I couldn't read that in my head without the vader voice. Sort of like reading "good news everyone, I've invented a device that makes you read this post in your head, in my voice"

printz said:

It's not your responsibility to enforce it.

If there is a loophole that would let you do something like this, it's probably a bug in Freedoom that should be fixed anyway.

Confused. And I do not want to drag out a EULA to try to figure out what the original question should have been.

1. Make it play only with Doom1 DOS engine.
Due to emulations, pretty much impossible.

Put in some Boom linedefs that transport or kill the player.
This eliminates all Boom compatibles.

2. Make it play only with Doom1 IWAD.
Difficult.

Bad DEH lumps will not do it because that attacks the port, not the IWAD used.

DEH that attack every known Doom2 (+ FreeDoom, TNT, Plutonia) object name not in Doom1, will not do it because they won't be referenced and thus have no effect.

Put in a reference to a Doom2 object but with outrageous parameters, in an attempt to crash any usage of it. Doom1 won't have the object, so the parameters do not get used. Will probably only get warning messages.

Use a Boom colormap freely. It won't be present in Doom1 IWAD.

Quasar said:

This is an awful lot like DRM if you think about it *gives a grimace of disapproval*

I'm talking about protecting Freedoom from violating the Doom EULA!

printz said:

Er, the freedoom project holds no resposiblity for the DOOM end user license agreement other than not using DOOM art itself.

As for you, it would clearly be unreasonable if id tried to phold you responseable for third party copatablilty projects not under your control.

Hell, even if you did introduce boom incompatablites so it wouldn't someone else could decide to make a vanilla iWAD with pwad compatablity just for the nerd factor thus rendering your attempt to make users follow the EULA pointless.

Also, trying to design things to work against the user's wishes is bad. Stop it.

printz said:

It's a nice thought, but quite honestly, if Id are going to send their lawyers after Freedoom, your efforts aren't likely to help much.

fraggle said:

It's a nice thought, but quite honestly, if Id are going to send their lawyers after Freedoom, your efforts aren't likely to help much.

Yeah, the law doesn't aknowledge assists when it comes to following it. :P

If someone tries to commit murder they don't get off scott free just because you stopped them from doing it.

And there's another thing: lightly modified Doom maps are allowed for Doom, for the simple reason that you need to have Doom in the first place to play them.

But with Freedoom, everyone is able to play those lightly modified maps. I fear that an excess of these will cause the copyright holders to change their stance and disallow any derivative levels, as they have no more control over the IWAD dependency.

There have been tools, like this one:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=3898

You can effectively play any Doom / Doom II / Heretic map, if you only have one of the IWADs. The tool doesn't care/know if it's a modified IWAD map...

There are also lots of PWADs that used resources from other IWADs (like embedded Heretic textures/music in Doom map, for example) and nobody made any fuss about it. And that's a lot more visible than Freedoom. I mean, it seems like hardly anybody even knows about Freedoom, and even fewer use it to any extent. It would be a total waste of time for someone to attack it, and in fact they would just end up giving it more publicity and probably help the project along that way.