Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
X-DOOM

6 years later, recovering some lost data from ZD3K

Its been awhile i have not shown myself, i am happy to see alot of old friends are still alive here.
I have some good news, status and what happened for all these years. I have posted the same on my own personal site today. I am happy to see how big ZDoom is coming now, Randy you made an awesome and marvelous work.
Before going throught, yes i have worked on my english since these years :)

So here is what happened.

[size=150]6 years later, recovering some lost data from my old game based on Doom2.[/size]

Several years ago I created a Doom2 game with the ZDoom engine. The game was almost ready (say 90% complete) I had the great misfortune to infect my computer with some nasty virus from the college. Unfortunately the data has been erased and lost. I had a backup on CD-ROM but which dated from a very long time. I tried to start developing the game after a few weeks but the motivation was not there.

With my current job and knowledge, since a good week I finally picked a good bulk of data that have been lost 7 years before. Most files are there, some files are corrupted, but I'll deal with it. Images (sprites and texture) are all intact, maps and scripts are partial and corrupt.

With the latest version of ZDoom 2.6.1 I no longer really worry for my ZXDoom engine which was made from ZDoom source code. Current ZDoom have all I created or simulated on a much earlier version of 1.98. With the DECORATE lump it is fantastic and with the 3D floor it's amazing... my 3D floor attempt did not work very well and the game crashed after a while time. The only feature missing in ZDoom is the one I created for the animated character in the game Thing_SetState(tid, State). The creator of ZDoom, Randy Heit, has created a similar function that does not seem to do what I need, I need to recreate it again with ZDoom 2.6.1... unless Randy want to implement it on his futur engine.

I think to recreate the game map will be easier now, as I used WadAuthor map editor, now I use Doom Builder 2 it gives me to see quickly everything I create in real time instead of always running the game and check if everything is aligned properly, etc. ...

So my game was put on hold for about 7 years, it will be able to see daylight.

I will have to make a folder link on my site for the game development.

So heres a look at my desk.

Click the image to enlarge it, warning its a 1920x1080 resolution.

A look to what is left in the maps folder after the recorery... its ugly as hell, missing 85 maps and 72 acs scripts, and few corrupted files of 1-10 kb.

Click the image to enlarge it, warning its a 1920x1080 resolution.

I will have some work to do.

glenzinho said:

What is your native language my friend?

I was born and live in Quebec, Canada, so my native language is french, but i can easily speak in english fine :)

Tango said:

looks neat. sounds like you had quite a lot of stuff done though 9_9

I had the game done and about to be ready, then i got these nasty virus. I suspected and still suspecting someone who was jaleous of my programming project at the college, but it is all past and done so i turned the page.

Now with all the amazing things that have happened with the latest ZDoom, i do not have to re-code everything in the engine at all, Randy have built it with most things i did on my way... and he did even more.

As a longtime veteran of this forum, I remember this project. Am glad to see that it is being worked on again. Would probably be a good candidate for a mordeth reward if released.