Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Bethesda Posts BFG Edition Official FAQ

Bethesda has updated their Doom forum with the latest details about the upcoming Doom 3: BFG Edition for PC and consoles. If you've been keeping up, perhaps the only new (disappointing) info here is that the PC version of the game STILL has no cooperative mode, online or offline. As this is the official FAQ for the game, ostensibly you'll be able to check back on this page for any news.

No PC co-op? Again? You've GOT to be fucking kidding me...

Great...now we have to rely on Opencoop and LMS again. Those haven't been touched by their original teams in years.

Even better: Doom and Doom 2 PC don't support multiplayer at all. That's beyond ridiculous - that's cynical, given that these games helped ushering in the era of multiplayer gaming...

Well, the originals are understandable. There are better options out there (e.g. Odamex) already.

So in short, instead of getting original games with more features we get the same games again? I'll pass on this one since i already own Classic Dooms and Doom 3 for me wasn't good to begin with. I mean seriously no Co-op in Doom 3? And still the same limited to 8 players multiplayer? They really got lazy with this package.

I don't think Coop would be much fun in Doom 3 anyway. Too many passages where only one person fits. On the other hand, mods are mods and may have attached Coop mode.

Bucket said:

Well, the originals are understandable. There are better options out there (e.g. Odamex) already.

It's the lie that matters. Doom 1 and 2 have multiplayer somehow, but that message makes people think otherwise.

As they are distributed, the Doom games have multiplayer through DWANGO, IPX, and other outdated methods that no longer exist. If they aren't going to support multiplayer for the old exes, then it's more responsible of them to say there's no such things. People can always turn up to Zandaemex afterwards, but Bethesda and Id have no responsibility towards third-party exes.

I note that the FAQ doesn't cover the speculation some have about whether NRFTL is included. I suppose it means it isn't.

I've never played Doom 3, so I might as well get this. At least they went through the trouble of making a brand-new episode. I already own Ultimate Doom and Doom II, so Doom 3 will be the main attraction for me.

Still, it would've been nice if they had spent a little extra time with this and added a few more things. From the looks of it, it doesn't include any of the Doom II official add-ons, like Final Doom or Master Levels, and the fact that they have tried to hide Classic Doom's importance to multiplayer is just pathetic.

Come on, Bethesda! You can do better than that!

See, coop wouldn't be possible because it would mess up the "gameplay". Anyone who knows Doom3 will remember that many of the encounters involve enemies appearing in front of you at the same time as other ones appear behind you (repeat ad nauseum). If there were two of you in one of those indistinct corridors, one of you would be bound to be standing where the enemies were spawning in behind you. So coop can't happen. :P

No surprises here for me, I would think any more unnecessary effort on their part aside from the new levels wouldn't be worth it for them. I mean they could have just packaged this all together without new stuff and people would still buy it.

I have no interest in giving my money to ID anymore, and certainly never going to go to Bethesda ever again.

I don't even understand why they must keep PC co-op out of the question; surely if it's on the consoles then it's trivial to have the same levels and multiplayer on the PC?

chungy said:

I don't even understand why they must keep PC co-op out of the question; surely if it's on the consoles then it's trivial to have the same levels and multiplayer on the PC?

No its not, PC is an after thought these days, get with the times.

Doom 3 was never designed with co-op in mind, it was designed as a single player experience. Trying to retrofit something like that into a game it wasn't designed for isn't generally a good idea. You want co-op, go play COD and quit bitching.

kristus said:

Apparently COD introduced COOP to games now.

That's not what I said, I said that Doom 3 was not designed for co-op, it was designed specifically with single player in mind. It generally chalks up to a pretty clunky game experience when you try to retrofit something into a game that it wasn't tailored for.

TheDarkArchon said:

The "Go back to COD" argument? Classy. Next thing, you'll be telling us that co-op is for scrubs.

No, what I was saying was that there are plenty of other viable alternatives out there if co-op is your thing. I actually have nothing against co-op(or COD for that matter), I just don't think it would work well in a game like Doom 3.

chungy said:

It looks like there won't be a co-op mode at all.

The co-op gameplay for DOOM 3 was only included with the original Xbox release of DOOM 3. As BFG Edition is based upon the original PC release, there is no online/offline cooperative play.

So in short they really got lazy, i mean fine Co-op doesn't suit Doom 3 (though if the Xbox version had it why they couldn't just implement it in the BFG Edition...) but seriously, in today generation of gaming 8 player multiplayer deathmatch is just laughable, lemme guess, Doom 1 and 2 will again be included with dosbox on PC doesn't it (or with Doom95, that would explain why there is no multiplayer support).

And yes why i do realise we have alternatives (source ports etc. on PC), it doesn't excuse them to get lazy but still take full price for those games. I wonder if this "BFG Edition" will include Master Levels for Doom 2, Final Doom or No Rest for the Living.

Coolster said:

I wonder if this "BFG Edition" will include Master Levels for Doom 2, Final Doom or No Rest for the Living.

No, no, and I wouldn't count on it.

If you had followed the link in the OP, you would have seen this as the first paragraph:

BFG Edition includes DOOM, DOOM 2, DOOM 3, Resurrection of Evil, and The Lost Mission are all accessible from the main menu/launcher.
DOOM 3 BFG Edition does not contain the DOOM Master Levels or Final DOOM

It doesn't say anything about NRFTL, but my bet would be on "no".

Coolster said:

lemme guess, Doom 1 and 2 will again be included with dosbox on PC doesn't it (or with Doom95, that would explain why there is no multiplayer support).

What the hell are you talking about?

1. Genuine original Doom IS the one for DOS. All the ports are by third parties with their subjective fixes. Be thankful they even put DOSBox there.

2. Doom95 can be used for multiplayer. And if it cannot now, it was definitely possible to play it over non-IPX network, while I couldn't do that with Doom.

Well, I dunno. I think it would be nice to see an up-to-date official port after all these years. With working mouse support and an adequate save system.

For all of you "they got lazy" people. You guys do realize that the game will include a whole new episode for Doom 3, right?

That is not lazy, even if there may not be any co-op.

hardcore_gamer said:

For all of you "they got lazy" people. You guys do realize that the game will include a whole new episode for Doom 3, right?

I'm surprised at how many people seem to be overlooking that. It takes a lot more work to make a new set of levels than it does to implement co-op mode in an already-completed set of levels, or to simply re-attach a deathmatch mode to an old release (Doom 1 and 2).

hardcore_gamer said:

Ultimate Doom was a lazy release to me so yes this is lazy. The difference for me is I'm not saying they "got" lazy. They always were.