Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
princetontiger

Autosave. Do you use it?

That is the worst reasoning ever, ever. But I agree that saving robs a WAD of a great deal of tension.

I'll save if I'm testing a specific area, and want to run through it a couple of times. Or an egregiously long, and challenging, level. Other than that, only when I'm quitting the game.

printz said:

I can't save and load in real life, and believe me how many times I've thought of this. Thus, I'm not going to pretend otherwise, so I'm not going to save in Doom.

I can't run fast enough to dodge rockets in real life, so I play Doom without running or strafing and with projectile speeds trebled.

Also, I'm pretty sure I can't survive getting shot with a shotgun, so I play Doom with player health reduced to 10.

Furthermore, I've never actually wielded a firearm (let alone a futuristic energy weapon), so I play Doom with only the fist and chainsaw since my aim would be too poor with a gun.

And finally, demons and possessed zombies don't exist in real life, so I only play with nomonsters.

This makes Doom a lot more fun, as you can guess, because now it's more like real life and less like a game!

I believe maps should be played on one go without dying but there are some wads out there that will kick your butts couple of times so i prefer saving my progress manually, usually when i'm on good health or after a rough scenario.

Gez said:

I can't run fast enough to dodge rockets in real life, so I play Doom without running or strafing and with projectile speeds trebled.

Whoa, hold it. You're missing the point! I didn't say I want to make Doom realistic. And all those things: running fast, surviving shots, wielding lots of firearms are possible in reality with the correct equipment (machinery and stuff). Rewinding time is not. I may pretend that I'm super-fast and powerful, but I can't pretend that if I do a serious mistake I can go back and try again. Real things are causal.

There was a Jetsons episode which dealt with this topic.

Actually if you hold a Dagger of Time you can rewind time. Unfortunately there's no proof that such thing exist, but neither do demons. ;)

Gez, funnily enough, there are specific speedrunning categories for those examples you listed :)

Stroller = no running (I think you can strafe, though)

Also, I'm pretty sure I can't survive getting shot with a shotgun, so I play Doom with player health reduced to 10.

Reality = taking no damage

Furthermore, I've never actually wielded a firearm (let alone a futuristic energy weapon), so I play Doom with only the fist and chainsaw since my aim would be too poor with a gun.

Tyson = only using fists / chainsaw (but pistol is also allowed)

And finally, demons and possessed zombies don't exist in real life, so I only play with nomonsters.

-nomonsters = beat the level as fast as you can without monsters

I save manually (not autosave) if I've never played it before but I do it in one life if I'm doing a speed run etc

Do I use autosave when I die? Yes, because I like to keep my weapons and don't feel confident enough to pistol start yet. As for saving within a level, I try not to and so far am able to complete episodes 1-3 without saving inside a level, but most of episode 4 is a different story.

This is actually a step up from my days of playing Doom95, when I abused the save feature to the point of activating monsters, shooting them, saving a game, loading it immediately afterwards to deactivate them and then restarting that cycle. :p

Hellbent said:

No, not really, actually. Isn't it hard to play without saving?

Oh.. not sure if you saw my later replies, but in short: Coop. No. :)

Nah I just save whenever I feel like it, usually if I know or think there is gonna be a tough part coming up. So put simply i don't use autosave