Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
betabox

Maximum Doom, and the shovelware experience

Well it's safe to say that I've played through all the WADS in Maximum Doom. Do I feel so great about it? I don't know. And it only took me over 12 years to accomplish.

[Boring shit]Actually, I started playing these levels somewhere around '98. Like anybody else who's probably tried, gave up; for me, in particular around the G WAD's. Then early this summer, I hit a jackpot of Doom stuff at a game store, including Demon Gate Mega Collection and another copy of Master Levels. Then I also got a kickass city job which pretty much allowed me to Doom like no tomorrow. So yeah, I spent pretty much a 4-month-and-a-week summer working and playing through Maximum Doom.[/Boring shit]

So what exactly did I do? I reached the exit of all maps where possible. If it was coop or DM, I did just that and reached the exit. All non-map WAD's I just gave a quick test-run. I was surprised to find one or two of my old junk pieces in the collection. The overall experience was ok. There were a lot of shit maps and doubles, naturally.

Did anybody else manage to get themselves through this id-branded shovelware?

buttspit said:

Did anybody else manage to get themselves through this id-branded shovelware?

Don't know if he played them all, but Funduke must have gone through the lot in order to compile this list. I got about as far as RALPHII.WAD before giving up.

Yeah, I actually consulted that MDR quite frequently throughout the process, getting an idea of what I was dealing with when it came to many of the WAD's. I'm led to believe that he's tried all the WAD's in the collection, though not necessarily beaten all or went far in some as I noticed inaccurate bits here and there.

So if nobody else dun it, I guess I hold this half-assed title, heh.

Don't stop there, become a wad playing legend! Demon Gate Mega Collection has nearly 3300 wads and if you can lay your hands on the 2 disk Death Match compilation, it has some 5100 wads waiting to be waded through. :)

There's also other shovelwares for Duke Nukem, go for it and earn yourself the Great Shovelware Player Award. =P

GreyGhost said:
Don't stop there, become a wad playing legend! Demon Gate Mega Collection has nearly 3300 wads...

Mission 2!

LkMax said:

There's also other shovelwares for Duke Nukem, go for it and earn yourself the Great Shovelware Player Award. =P

I have a shovelware list made, in fact. I'm actually interested in getting into DN3D levels. However, from previous experiences with this game's addons, I'm a bit reluctant. It was pretty discouraging to play many of the TC's as each one sort of has its own method for how to run it. I mean, there isn't one straightforward way that can be used to run several of the addons.

Wow, seeing this makes me want to play D!ZONE all the way through.

On second thought, I could just play my maps and get the same shitty effect.

Congratulations on Maximum Doom.

That would be pretty cool, Gez :)

First thing I'd need to do in all of this is to remove all the ones I've already done.

buttspit said:

Yeah, I actually consulted that MDR quite frequently throughout the process, getting an idea of what I was dealing with when it came to many of the WAD's. I'm led to believe that he's tried all the WAD's in the collection, though not necessarily beaten all or went far in some as I noticed inaccurate bits here and there.

No. I didn't play the main part of the levels to the end. I just wanted to make a reference to the original authors and files. I would be pleased, if you mail me infos about inaccuracies in the reference. It might be good to update it.
Greetings
Funduke

That reminds me - someone was asking about the Doom Heaven CD that I have. Figuring out how to host a torrent was unsuccessful. If anyone knows a good place to upload a CD-sized file, I'll send it along.

I appreciate it, what I perceive as compliments :)

My biggest regret is that I didn't keep a log of sorts, for this experience. I really wish I'd indicated which maps are seemingly broken, which are doubles, funduke's inaccuracies, not found in /idgames (though this last one is going to be much easier credit to the MDR), etc.

I do recall that for a few map compilation WADs, funduke's reference labels them as whatever the source material should be; however, some of those compilation maps are quite different structurally to say the least from the source material. My memory is pretty vague about this, but one example is the deathstar wad (I need to double check the name). The standalone version seems broken (missing key or something); however, a version included in one of the map packs not only has the required keys, but the layout was different and the order of getting the keys was different too, IIRC. But the reference merely points to the standalone, broken version.

BTW, funduke, if you can check your latest PM, I've made a followup question.

Mike.Reiner said:

Maximum Doom - Maximum Shit.

You sir are crazy.

Shovelware disks are fun! I like to think of them as garage sales on plastic, with piles of old stuff in which a few treasures might be hiding.

At this point, shovelware might be the only chance to salvage WADs lost to the BBS era. Besides, you can find lots of things missing from the archives, for example.

Anyway, before even beginning the Demon Gate Mega Collection experience, I need to remove all doubles. And that's really turning out to be a pain in the ass.

buttspit said:

I need to remove all doubles. And that's really turning out to be a pain in the ass.

That can be tedious. If it helps any, here's the wad lists for those disks in CSV format. Import and merge them in your spreadsheet of choice, sort by filename and size, best of luck.

Is Doom still fun after playing this stuff for all those years? :/
I would probably get totally sick of demons and imps and Cacos and D_RUNNIN and all the other things.

Doom never gets old... It's a true classic.

Btw, another possible upload site is cd.textfiles.com, but you might need to contact the site admin to find out what their incoming FTP server is. Some Doom shovelware stuff is on there already, and the nice thing about it is they break down the CDs into individual files, so you can download only the pieces you want. Well it'd be cool to have all the shovelware stuff on both sites, eventually...

My goal is to play through all the maximum doom garbage

I made a thread about this a month ago. I'm about 1/10 through...

I'm using the gameception app on my ipad. It's easy to load the wads up

I originally played alphabetically before the hiatus. When I returned, I finished off the G WADs and then decided to play the WAD's in order from smallest to biggest WAD. It actually works and really motivates you to continue since you completed so many in so little time. Plus it was great to often come across doubles, which only sped up the process.

Anyway, regarding Demon Gate Mega Collection, after removing all apparent doubles, there are still over 2000 WAD's. How disappointing and it's still even more WAD's than Maximum Doom (and probably more levels); this time, no reference to help me out :P I seriously hope Death Match 7000 will have a greater fraction of doubles than this...

buttspit said:

I seriously hope Death Match 7000 will have a greater fraction of doubles than this...

There's a lot of Doom/Doom2 conversions on CD2 and a fair few duplicates with "2" tacked onto the name. The combined listing in this file might help when you get that far.

Congratulations on plowing through the Maximum DOOM mess, buttspit. That would have been "a great job" if you had recorded your quest. ;)

re: Death Match 7000 - there are a lot of corrupted WADs on this one:

I would strongly recommend not using this compilation unless a particular WAD is not available elsewhere.

Yeah, I guess :P

And thanks for the information about the corrupted WAD's. However, I do want to go through it (I haven't gone through Demon Gate Mega Collection though); not because I believe I'll find something cool in there... maybe because I like putting myself through shit like this.