Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Potential sprite replacements

The project Demon Eclipse, known for the huge amount of original content created for it such as monsters, weapons, and textures, was recently cancelled. (Scroll down a bit) The reason I'm posting about this is because Eriance has said this about the project resources:

That said, all resources from DE will now be open to Creative Commons usage (hopefully with substantial edits). Freedoom, personal projects, etc, may use my resources freely. Note that not everything found within the DE wads are made from scratch, or by me. To be safe, ask me and make sure they are indeed something original.

I'd say they're worth looking at, see if some of the content can't be used to replace some of the things in Freedoom. (Biggest thing that comes to mind is the Arch-Vile...) Eriance has also uploaded a lot of his creations to Realm667, so maybe look there too. (It'd help if there was a way to search for the creator of a WAD)

I wish people would stop saying things like "open to creative commons useage". Too vague.

CC is a series of licenses that are not uniform in their restrictions. It covers both a mostly permissive license with attribution requirement all the way to one that only allows you to share unmodified works for non commercial purposes(with attribution requirement!).

Even saying that freedoom can use them may be a misunderstanding of licneing and what we mean by Free so you can't assume CC0(a public domain dedication) or the mostly permissive one.

Best to get a clarification to avoid a shitstorm.

This commentlicensed under CC-BY-SA :P

gnudist said:

Creative Commons

You're correct, but it's best not to get too hung up about it in this particular situation as it seems pretty clear it's all original work and he's open to Freedoom using it. We need to get explicit permission to put it under the BSD license Freedoom uses - it sounds like that shouldn't be a problem.

It would be good if someone could investigate further, find out what's up for grabs and can be reused, and get permission. We should get it confirmed that anything we want to use is completely from-scratch original.

EDIT: Some of the monsters I could find from the Beastiary:

Perhaps we could use the Overlord to replace the current Caco, I think it's pretty lackluster. Maybe I could scale the Vulgar up and edit it for the Baron/HK replacement.

Sodaholic said:

Perhaps we could use the Overlord to replace the current Caco, I think it's pretty lackluster.

Yeah, the overlord looks much nicer than the current jellyfish thing. To me the current one looks out of place even among the already eclectic mix of freedoom art.

The overlord looks kinda too "busy" to be a common monster like the caco. It was designed to be a cacoboss after all.

Gez said:

The overlord looks kinda too "busy" to be a common monster like the caco. It was designed to be a cacoboss after all.

While I agree with this somewhat I still think it looks more like it belongs with the other sprites than the jellyfish cyclops does.

While the current CyberDemon was a great improvement over the placeholder, it does not agree with the drawing style of the other monsters.
I would hope that in choosing some more replacements that some attention be paid to matching the style.

My description of the FreeDoom monster style would be: Dark-ish, 75% saturated colors, no extremes of color or shade, very little reflective surfaces, well planted to the ground, appearing solid, not light not airy, not over-muscled (like id style), reasonable realistic aliens as opposed to fantastic, no drooling.

The current revenant really dark and black, and we really do not need another monster that disappears in dark rooms.

Remember that you may have to resize it to match the doom physical size or we will once again have a similar problem, like revenant head in the ceiling.

Reminder: I did the spider-demon, pain-elemental, revenant (re-sized, recolored), which were custom made for FreeDoom. The spider-demon could stand to have a few highlights (I have all the source GIMP to do that), but otherwise I thought these three were working well. It makes me nervous as to what you might decide to replace.

"There is nothing more dangerous than a committee looking around where you have done work" ME

Sodaholic said:

Perhaps we could use the Overlord to replace the current Caco, I think it's pretty lackluster.

Dude, the Overlord can defeat 3 Cyberdemons; I think it would be demoted too much if it became a standard Cacodemon replacement.

printz said:

Dude, the Overlord can defeat 3 Cyberdemons; I think it would be demoted too much if it became a standard Cacodemon replacement.

So maybe we could shrink it down a little bit and recolor it?

Most of those monster sprites seem like they'd work pretty well in Blasphemer. Especially since almost all of its sprites are smiley-face placeholders. :-)

I've used the Jade Wand to replace the Sapphire Wand in Zauberer. Anyone think anything else could be fit to replace Hexen sprites in Zauberer?

Considering sprite alternatives, I may as well post the work I did on the pistol here:

I left the hand out in the event that someone wanted to use a different hand.
Also, you could just get rid of the green sight dots if they don't fit well.
Also, the second sprite should be used for both PISGA0 and PISGB0, otherwise it would look as if the hammer is moving back to its default position and then cocking itself (this is a problem that the jDRP pistol model suffers). Of course, the way to get around this is to DeHackEd the Refire frame to be PISGA0 instead of PISGB0.

fraggle said:

• Blood Scepter (probably useful for Blasphemer?)
  • Jade Wand (also for Blasphemer?)

• Just saw this, thanks for mentioning I'll discuss with the team later about this as we need to complete the weapon sprite. If they're not used, there's no harm in getting ideas from them.

Anyone considered a replacement for the current pinky? It looks far too goofy IMO, even for a game that doesn't take itself seriously at all.

Honestly I think there are other monsters that are in greater need of improvement.

I have considered a modification of the current pinky but don't have time to do it. Just stretch it wider to match the actual size used by the engine and give the little tentacles some functionality that make them look more dangerous. A little more darkness in the creases would help too. It should look heavier, squat down a little. It should be functionally correct, for a sci-fi theme Doom (not a fantasy creature).