Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Where are the Planetdoom forums?

They've shut down all forums a couple of months ago. IGN has been gradually destroying the Planet* sites and with them a good part of gaming history; first by shutting down hosting, then closing the forums, and finally killing Fileplanet. However, Spirit from Quaddicted and a few others are in the process of archiving all of it. A basic mirror of the PlanetDoom forums can be found here, for example.

neg!ke said:

They've shut down all forums a couple of months ago. IGN has been gradually destroying the Planet* sites and with them a good part of gaming history; first by shutting down hosting, then closing the forums, and finally killing Fileplanet.

That's horrible. I hope I can salvage enough data from Spirit's site. Fan fictions are works which shouldn't die. I couldn't find what I was looking for yet; are the forum threads ordered arbitrarily in those folders? They're named with codes. I mean that they're not ordered chronologically?

Man this is sad news for me, I like to sometimes browse the planet quake site for the new Quake III Arena stuff which was still being submitted during the past few years. :(

I don't know how it's structured, looks like a straight ftp rip. There's no main forum index, but the ones in the subforums still work. Just click your way through the folders until you reach a thread, then use the link above to display the list. Since there's no search function, you'll probably have to go through each subforum and thread manually to search for worthwhile posts.

Really? Damn. Planet Quake, especially, has some history.

Seeing this makes me a little scared that UGO may try something, eventually.

Avoozl said:

Man this is sad news for me, I like to sometimes browse the planet quake site for the new Quake III Arena stuff which was still being submitted during the past few years. :(

http://q3a.ath.cx/

Planet Quake is absolutely pathetic in it's current state. It needs to be given the proper death it deserved a few years ago.

Yes, it would be a shame if the DW forums were lost, lots of good information all over the place. The Planet forums, on the other hand, weren't really that important or useful anymore, at least judging from the PQ forums. Certainly in the beginning, but for the last 6-10 years they were pretty worthless for the most part.

The loss of the hosted sites is saddest thing about it. They did notify the hosted people a few weeks prior to the shut-down, but of course most sites had been abandoned for years, so hardly anyone knew or cared. Most of the PQ sites have been saved and mirrored elsewhere, but no idea how it impacted other communities and how or if they handled it. PlanetHalflife comes to mind.

I'm pretty sure it won't be long until IGN decides to shut down the remainders of the Planet network altogether.

RIP opc. You could literally read the threads backward and pinpoint the exact date someone figured out a new trick in Quake3. Watch the discussion of people slowly figuring out how to strafe jump. Shortly after someone realizes they could make a map with pads to practice strafing, opc1.pk3 was released. Modern fundamental Quake3 gameplay was discovered there and discussed heavily. The "impossible" bridge to rail jump was first proven there with a demo, now Quakelive has an in-game tutorial for that jump.

OPC which hosts the forums went under new management, decided that q3a trick jumping wasn't profitable and so entire history of q3a trickjumping was lost. No warning either, noone had a chance to backup. Data was even on server for a awhile and opc didnt care.

printz said:

That's horrible. I hope I can salvage enough data from Spirit's site. Fan fictions are works which shouldn't die. I couldn't find what I was looking for yet; are the forum threads ordered arbitrarily in those folders? They're named with codes. I mean that they're not ordered chronologically?

Hi there!

I simply mirrored the forums with wget so the structure is the same as it was originally except for ".html" at the end. Eg http://gamespy-archives.quaddicted.com/forums/planetdoom/forums.gamespy.com/fan_fiction/b49537/p1.html is page 1 of the fan fiction forum. http://gamespy-archives.quaddicted.com/forums/planetdoom/forums.gamespy.com/fan_fiction/b49537/7593027/p13/index.html is page 13 of some random thread with the id 7593027. Apart from that I have no idea how it all works but I should have gotten almost everything archived.

You can find 7z files in http://gamespy-archives.quaddicted.com/111archives/7z/ , those are easier to search through if you are looking for specific strings. Google is busy indexing my mirror but it will be quite a while until it is done. I would love to have a better interface but I have no time.

I am also currently working on archiving all ~10TB of Fileplanet. :)