Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Juan

Do you modify/edit games other than DOOM?

Personally I still love to tweak the rules of Civ2, and work on my own personal ruleset from time to time. I only recently got into editing Doom, but find it as satisfying as you can quickly knock up new elements in a short space of time.

I've also dabbled with Wolf3D (love the fact that you can just paint a level more or less) and SC3000 (Architect tool).

Right now I'm working on a couple maps for the new Counter-Strike. Pretty much everything I play I've dabbled with modding a bit, even if I never end up finishing anything.

OF COURSE! Naturally. I've made maps for Spear Of Destiny. I'm made maps for Heretic 1, and I'm making maps for Heretic 2.
And I've also got tons of spritesheets for editing platformers and sidescrollers in GameMaker about Sonic the hedgehog and various other characters.
I live for this. It's a vital component of my existence.

I've messed around with the unreal engine via the udk. Made a few diff levels/gameplay mods for gears of war, unreal. Tweaked Battleships forever, written an RPG engine for a custom game(still in progress). Written a few windows utilities, and messed around with one or two iPhone games. (a little off topic I know). just now starting with doom.

I had a brief spell a summer ago where I made tons of Wolf3D and SoD maps, and before that I (poorly) mapped and also did Skin work for Jedi Outcast. And some Heretic, Strife, and HeXen mapping. Some minor modding for Carnivores 2, mostly skin work. I did some mods for Jurassic Park Operation Genesis including a JPL promoted 'Novel Canon Mod'. Made new animals for Zoo Tycoon.

About it I think.

I did a little sprite work for a friend who was working on his finals and need a few random things here and there. I can't model for shit, so most of that's out of the way.

If a game cames with an editor I've messed with it.
The main games I've modded are warcraft 2,3, Quake, Hunter Hunted, Lode Runner, Age of Empire, and Morrowind. but I've only ever released stuff I made for doom.

I'm wondering if anyone messed around with Dungeon Siege Tool Kit or any other Dungeon Siege editor? I always wanted to make custom maps/levels for it but never got around to doing any.

Putting aside the obvious Doom clones, I've made a number of PUDs for WarCraft 2. A lot of them were meant for multiplayer with at least 2 players. There were at least 4 that I was really happy with and felt were on par with the best of the original maps. I haven't seen them for a number of years though.

I dabbled in some Serious Sam 3 and HD modding at one point, but never made anything really complex.

I also tried some Rise of the Triad level making a few weeks ago, but I burned myself out and have never tried to get back into it since.

I actually tried to give Source map making a shot a few years ago. I got to the point where I could make a complete building, but gave up soon afterwards.

Wolfenstein 3D was super fun to mod. As you said, it was pretty much like painting and whatever map you did, it always turned out good looking - in a wolfensteiny way of course!

Actually, I am surprised that so few people here know of the little modding community of Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. A super fun game, with endless possibilities to mod (more than ZDoom has for Doom!) and a playing style that is actually very similiar the doom in terms of speed. I remember making countless maps and mods for that game, but none of them ever were finished.

I've tried these FPS games: Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake 1, Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2 and Doom 3. I've tried these other games: Abuse, Warcraft 2 and Starcraft 1. I've also taken a look at some other games' level editors or data, but not done any changes.

I think Doom is the most fun. Quake gets the second place. Maybe third place for Half-Life 1, 2 and Doom 3.

Back in the day I used to make levels for Serious Sam, Unreal Tournament (2001), and of course Quake.

None of these levels exist anymore but I really hope someone finds my old UT levels.

Made three maps for Quake III, finished just one, lost all three. Also created two levels for N, they should still be around somewhere. Want to work with DN3D, with N again, Doom 3/The Dark Mod, Serious Sam SE and Red Alert 2. Also will make couple of prop models for Xonotic.

Earlier on I made maps for Half-Life. Never finished any of those early maps and none of it was saved.

Also tinkered with Quake and Quake 2 but not much got done with those games. I think the Quake and Half-Life mapping was mostly just learning a lot about designing with brushes.

I worked on some Hexen 2 maps. Some screens were posted here --> http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=958987#post958987. When your editor crashes and eats all your work a couple times it takes the wind out of your sails and makes you want to do something else. Seems Qoole had a weird bug that if you were using the Portal of Praevus entities and forgot to load them the next time you started the editor, then went to save the map file, it would crash and destroy the file (or something like that. It's been years since I used it). It wasn't a help that it wouldn't remember that setting. Meh.

I tried editing for Blade of Darkness but the editor was like riding an alien bicycle. I never did get the basic room I made to load in the game.

I was working on a map for Quake 3 but I dunno wtf I did with that.

I played around with making a module for Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures. Got bored with that tho.

I made a few Heretic II blade match levels that were designed with Tmod in mind because we all used Tmod's respawn marks when I played. Otherwise you have to walk a bit to get back to the arena. Also made a DM map that was a remake of my Doom 2, Templecore map (couple screens below).

::

I made a house mod for Morrowind and also a dungeon I never finished. Also made a couple dungeons for Oblivion. The one fort I was working on just before Skyrim's release is almost done. Also made a large cave / nord ruin for Skyrim that I got bummed out on, so I stopped working on it.

After trying all these other things, Doom is still the most enjoyable game to map for and I think a lot of credit for that enjoyment goes to CodeImp coming out with Doom Builder. I can't see me still using DoomCad after all this time. haha.

Dabbled with loads of games, but due to my short attention span it never lasts long enough to make anything decent. Done loads of crappy maps for Warcraft II, Age of Empires II, Heroes of Might and Magic II, Stunts, GeneRally, etc. But nothing ever really worth releasing. Closest I've come to releasing a project was a ROM hack for Super Mario World, but even that wasn't so great and was never finished.

MSPaintR0cks said:

Wolfenstein 3D was super fun to mod. As you said, it was pretty much like painting and whatever map you did, it always turned out good looking - in a wolfensteiny way of course!

Actually, I am surprised that so few people here know of the little modding community of Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. A super fun game, with endless possibilities to mod (more than ZDoom has for Doom!) and a playing style that is actually very similiar the doom in terms of speed. I remember making countless maps and mods for that game, but none of them ever were finished.

JK2Hub is a pretty good place, I have to say I found that to be a difficult one to attempt for whatever reason.

(Then there's Massassi....)

DF though is a fun one, or it can be.

Every once in awhile I crack open Eclipse and write plugins for Minecraft. It's all for the server wrapper called Bukkit, though, so they're things like anti-creeper protections, mob statistics and spawn blocking, a way to have potions with buffs before potions were in stock Minecraft, and a thing I call DupeBox with allows you to save out regions of the world to paste at a different point in space and time.

On that last one, you pretty much use the chat as a little command-line tool. You start selecting, left click the low corner and right-click the high one, save it, and then you can paste it later. When you do paste it, it pops up a little chest asking for the materials (no free castles!). Quite a handy thing to have when Mojang updates the world generator yet again and you want to move to a new world to get the new features.

I made a few Duke3D levels with sharks swimming in the air and strippers everywhere when I was about 13 years old.

I once made a Starcraft scenario for single player, based on "(6)Winter Conquest.scx". It was a free-for-all with an extra 7th player computer, who kept spawning hostile units at some locations, based on switches randomized and toggled in intricate ways based on each of first 6 players statuses. Each unit of that computer class made specific noises on spawn. When air units appeared, I would hear alarm (air raid) sounds. When marines appeared, I would hear "You want a peace of me, boy?". All this, with the randomness and sudden occurrence would create an enjoyable and frightening wailing symphony.

I've made over 150 wolfenstein 3d levels. Unfortunately, only the crappiest 60 survived, without all cool new sprites and stuff. That's the only major thing, I suppose. And about the very minor ones: Karoshi, Happyland Adventures (does anyone even know that game?), Rainbow Island (also silly little game, but too delightfully easy to hack to resist) and everything that had editing options.
And maybe it's a bit off-topic here, but I love RPG tsukuru. Absolutely the best program for making games I know.

I think virtually any game that I have cared about enough to play it a few times I have also done something to tweak/modify it somehow. This could be something as simply as swapping a few graphics or editing how an enemy behaves to making a full level set. Doom is the only one that has kept me coming back year after year after year though.

The game I've spent the most time making maps for is Doom 3.

I've pissed around with an abundance of other games/level editors over the years, but I never produced anything worth sharing with the rest of the world.

I've started playing around with mods for Halo 1 on the PC. It's pretty fun , though I haven't done anything really impressive yet.The most I've been able to do so far is make a shotgun spit out plasma grenades and staple a set of wings to the ass of a warthog.