Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Tango TV [BLOODSHEDDER IS THE MAN]

Right. I think for an interviewee the job is easier and more gratifying, because they merely have to be the receiver of questions, and they get to show off with the answers.

Alright to get the questions rolling:
What are your thoughts on modern game design? (last 3 years, only relevant to games author has played/seen played)
Do you think your favorite game(s) influences your level design?
What music do you listen to while mapping (if any), and does it influence or is influenced by the map you're making, as in; if you're making a techbase, is its theme dictated by the style of music you're listening to?
What TV/internet/youtube shows do you watch?
What is your career/major/life goals? Does it have an influence on your mapping style?
Favorite/least favorite piece of tech, such as an old computer or pos work appliance?
Any T-shirt designs you want to make?
Food. Anything about it.
How did you get into doom?
Favorite iwad and pwad map(s)?
If John Romero was still on the team for doom 3, how would it be different, or be the same?
Do you think John Carmack is a robot?
Been to any cons, like quakecon? How was your experience?
What're your hobbies?

I think that's more than enough. I'm down for an author spot, if someone else does the recording. Not sure you want me, I haven't mapped for a couple months heheh.

Asking about favorite games other than Doom is an obvious thing. Also be smart to tailor questions to the specific individual, so if you're talking to Xaser you want to ask questions about levels Xaser made, or projects Xaser was on.

Things like:
what is your favorite level that you've made, and why?
what was the best project you worked on, and why?
project x that you worked on is well known for feature y. What are your thoughts about that feature and how it was implemented?

etc

I thought about that, but there're relatively few things I know xaser to have been on. If possible people should give a list of projects completed so we have some idea of what to ask. For example I can't very well ask how the f Lupinxkassman made those pillars part from the switches on map 21 of cc4 if I didn't know he made that map (probably through some 'floor accel things as ceiling changes' lines. Boom format has a few cool things like that you don't see much of).

I assume that anyone who is willing to be interviewed is also going to be willing to provide a list of the projects they've worked on, and/or will be on the doom wiki (which indicates that Xaser did something called Zen Dynamics, for instance).

"Two to Tango" :D

EDIT: Anyway, i really think that there should be a interviewer or moderator involved in all cases. For a few reasons. One to keep the discussions relevant and interesting. To inject the discussions with topics in cases of silence or the two people just sitting making noises to avoid the silence while not knowing exactly what to say.

But also for recording purposes. So we can actually get some decent recordings of these discussions. If one of the people talking is recording. It's at a risk of not being an as good a recording as you would always hope. Especially when there's involving people who aren't necessarily experienced in that kind of thing.

The people talking about their shit shouldn't be preoccupied by thinking about technicalities or what question to bring up next etc.

Hellbent said:

May I post the questions I came up with here? I thought we weren't supposed to.

I sent my very Xaser-specific questions directly to Tango via PM. I guess if they're more general in nature they might warrant discussion here though.

I wouldn't mind doing an interview - Although, I don't know if questions for Ed are in demand at all.

I knew a guy named Ed once. He was a real dick.

*ahem*

Seriously though, I'd like to ask Ed whether he's really human or something. I have no idea how he's got the patience and skill to make better-than-Quake-2-holy-shit 3D architecture and live to tell the tale. :P

Wait, I'm supposed to PM my questions, aren't I? D:

Hellbent said:

May I post the questions I came up with here? I thought we weren't supposed to.

I think there is value in publicly discussing general questions, to get an indication of the kind of things the community would like every guest to be asked.

some of these questions may be a bit top heavy

HB: How much time do you typically spend preplanning before you start laying down vertices in the map editor?

HB: Do you build the entire map before you start adding items and monsters?

HB: Which do you add first: items or monsters?

HB: Do you develop ideas as you build the map? That is, do ideas come organically as you build each new area or do you plan the whole thing before-hand and stick to it to a T?

HB: How do you deal with "mappers block" when it invariably occurs?

HB: What is your philosophy on secret areas?

HB: How do you develop secret areas into your maps?

HB: Could you please attempt to describe the best secret area you found in a wad you played and why it was so memorable?

HB: How long have you been mapping for?

HB: What map editor(s) do you use?

HB: Who is your favorite mapper in the community? (past or present?
HB: Why?

HB: Who are some mappers that you think are very creative?

HB: Who are some mappers that have inspired you and/or influenced your mapping style?

HB: Who have you most learned from?

HB: Is there a mapping style or mapper that you to try to emulate?

HB: What is your favorite wad and why?

HB: What wad that was novel in some way is memorable to you?

HB: What is your goal as a mapper?

HB: Why do you map?

HB: What kind of gameplay do you try to generate in your mapping?

HB: What style maps do you prefer to play / design?
(Wide open or close quarters or both? Slaughter/hoards or suspense?)

HB: Which do you like more: Doom 1 style maps or doom 2 style maps?
HB: why?

HB: Which is better Doom 1 or Doom 2?
HB: why?

HB: How do you think the original doom and doom 2 games hold up in terms of gameplay, atmosphere and replay value compared to modern maps and mods? If you think they hold up, why? If not, why not?

HB: Do you think there is enough original mapping taking place today? Or do you think too much effort goes into fancy detail and not enough effort goes into developing distinct, original and compelling maps with dynamic gameplay and stimulating design?

HB: Are you concerned that mappers put all their energy into detailing instead of coming up with novel, but compelling map designs because it is easier, from a creative standpoint, to detail than it is to make an original, yet fun, map layout?

HB: What do you think of the general state of mapping today?

HB: How has mapping evolved over the last 18 years?

HB: What are some major trends that have developed?

HB: Do you think these trends are good/bad?

HB: What do you think are some major influences in these trends?
HB: Why?

HB: Who are some mappers that have bucked the trend with some pretty memorable map(s)?

HB: Lots of various trends have developed over the years, such as speedmapping (32in24) and others. What do you think the future holds for mapping?

HB: What is missing from the Doom mapping (or modding) scene?

HB: What mapping styles or trends haven't been done enough? Or has everything worth doing been done and done well?

HB: What direction would you like to see the Doom Community move in from here (in terms of mapping)?

HB: Do you think the Doom community will eventually die out and become a relic?

HB: If so, when can you imagine this taking place--and what would be some factors do you think would bring this about? (perhaps the original audience growing too old, a new game better than Doom and easier to mod replaces any need for Doom).

HB: Doom has stood up to the test of time incredibly well. Why do you think Doom and doom modding has survived as long and as well as it has?

HB: Finally, what do you think the Doom Community should do to celebrate Doom's 20th birthday?

HB: Is there anything else you would like to share with me today?

Hellbent said:

A bunch of questions.

Holy cow! Those questions are comprehensive and right on point. [With your permission, I might steal some of them for my own interviews.] Of course, make sure to include questions and topics of discussion that are directly relevant to the person being interviewed (e.g., their projects, their known views on various aspects of DooM, even contoversies in which they may have been involved, etc.)

Incidentally, I forgot to mention this before, but I think these audio interviews are a great idea. [Now why couldn't I think of it first? Heh.]

I was thinking that perhaps all involved parties should record their own mics with Audacity, and that one party records the Skype call itself with one of those utilities Bloodshedder mentioned. The Skype recording would be used for syncing purposes, and then the people who recorded their mics could send in the recordings to be used in place of the Skype version audio. This way, we can eliminate audio artifacts from VOIP degradation.

And as others have said, Tango TV, while not exactly accurate, is very catchy. ;)

Oh, I'll totally do this. Maybe listening to these will give me inspiration to finish my stupid fucking megawad. I need to open Doombuilder soon. It's been months :(

Also, feel free to put me on the list for slot 5. I feel I must step up to the chopping block after having my name typed in ALL CAPS in the last thread, yo.

I'll try and put some questions together. I've one or two for Xaser that might work out.

ReX said:

Holy cow! Those questions are comprehensive and right on point. [With your permission, I might steal some of them for my own interviews.] Of course, make sure to include questions and topics of discussion that are directly relevant to the person being interviewed (e.g., their projects, their known views on various aspects of DooM, even contoversies in which they may have been involved, etc.)

Incidentally, I forgot to mention this before, but I think these audio interviews are a great idea. [Now why couldn't I think of it first? Heh.]

Thanks Rex. You may use any and all of them as you see fit.

1) xaser interview is done and ended up just over an hour
2) fk my mic, need better one
3) will post the raw audio file here first probably, and see what feedback is like before i trim it down etc for youtube
4) i'm thinking i'll either interview snakes or see if anyone is interested in interviewing me? i'd like to just do this again, on either side really
5) fk my mic

edit: here's the audio!
http://www.mediafire.com/?nudvs33egjnx7fh
feedback would be appreciated. i'm expecting this length is about the longest any of these interviews will go

hacks son. also, snakes, maybe we could do a sort of dual interview type thing if you're interested? akin to how kristus/khorus will probably end up doing theirs

Not wanting to sound like I'm pestering and whinging or whatnot, but will there be transcripts? I'm aware it'll take quite a bit of time to do so, so I understand if there won't be any.

Just to make something clear that my poorly devised joke may have not done well, I am myself profoundly deaf so the audio interview is as useful as gloves for a person with no hands. And if I wasn't deaf, I'd happily volunteer myself as interviewer/ee, but shit happens. :P

Very cool project and I don't want to discourage, but the conversation format bothers me as it leads to a lot of rambling. I think strict Q&A would cut the length down a lot and be easier to digest as the listener. Also the positional audio gives me a headache.

Tango said:

hacks son. also, snakes, maybe we could do a sort of dual interview type thing if you're interested? akin to how kristus/khorus will probably end up doing theirs

I'd certainly be up for this sort of thing. PM me when you'd like to over this in some detail.