Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Green Herring

Community Chest 4 (NEW HOTFIX NOW ON IDGAMES/!)

Wait wait wait... so beta testing is over? Awww maaaang, my Windows decided to die on me some time ago, only fixed it today, and now i have 10 rough notes on 10 first maps of the first beta of this megawad. Dang.

I liked MAP05 (design gave me Half-Life/Strife vibes, but monsters were placed too symmetrical), MAP08 (even aimless wondering wasn't boring, but map would really win from more fights with hi-tier monsters. I also found ejaculating penis on one of the ceilings. Hmmm.) and MAP09 (some very good encounters, even tho some behind-your-back revenant spawning is too blatant). Cant say a single good word about MAP07, it has no flow and visuals are bland/bad.

The switch near the megasphere actually does something. Try to uncover what it is! You may need to be fast, however, to do so.

Spoiler

The switch opens a door south of the foot of the stairs to the south of that room. Once you're through, continue on that path to find the secret rocket launcher.

And on that note, the idgames/ version of the update has been released, and will be uploaded to idgames/ shortly:

[snip]

Only MAP23 had an additional bugfix made. MAP13 had its edits redone so that every DSDA demo on the level, recorded on the original release, will now play back correctly.

Thank you for waiting patiently! Enjoy!

EDIT (September 12, 2012 4:24 PM PDT): Removed the link, due to the release of the hotfix here.

Please, I need help with MAP29!!

How the hell do you make the Revenant below spawn? I tried with a lot of different methods but couldn't figure it out. It ruined a very good demo attempt by me (final time would be around 13:00).

http://i.imgur.com/gzAd3.jpg

Did you try walking forward, out of that alcove, assuming you flipped the switch behind you in that shot beforehand?

(Thanks for the gigantic, page-breaking image, by the way. :/ )

The Green Herring said:

Did you try walking forward, out of that alcove, assuming you flipped the switch behind you in that shot beforehand?

(Thanks for the gigantic, page-breaking image, by the way. :/ )

Yes, quite a few times. I tried all means possible, and I just tried playing the map with IDDQD and the Revenant didn't spawn yet again.

Sorry about that, the image didn't break the page for me. I edited it.

Okay, I performed a UV max attempt up to the part of the level you're playing, playing in a speedrunner fashion, and that revenant spawned as intended. I even did another try where I activated both triggers as quickly as possible before exiting that alcove, and again, that revenant spawned as intended. This was done on PrBoom+ 2.5.1.3 with -complevel 9. I have no idea what you're doing or using, but if you're not using that setup, you should.

The Green Herring said:

Okay, I performed a UV max attempt up to the part of the level you're playing, playing in a speedrunner fashion, and that revenant spawned as intended. I even did another try where I activated both triggers as quickly as possible before exiting that alcove, and again, that revenant spawned as intended. This was done on PrBoom+ 2.5.1.3 with -complevel 9. I have no idea what you're doing or using, but if you're not using that setup, you should.

C:\Desktop\prboom-plus-2.5.1.1\glboom-plus.exe -file cchest4 -warp 29 -skill 4 -complevel 9 -record c429

This is my current command line. I reached that Revenant area 4 times. None of them the Revenant spawned. I'll try another version of PrBoom.

I guess the possible lesson here is when using scrolling floors to teleport monsters, to always have an additional WR teleport line further along in the control sector, to teleport the monster back to its starting point.

One (1) instance of a scrolling teleporter without failsafe out of many, many ones in the WAD that do, and you're questioning why people use them? C'mon. :p

P.S. It allows monsters to teleport without the need to fire a shot to wake them up.

Thanks, TGH!! It works now.

I do think, though, that more people will make the same mistake that I do, unintentionally. I tried almost 10 times by casual playing and I couldn't get the goddamn Revenant to teleport!

The Green Herring said:

P.S. It allows monsters to teleport without the need to fire a shot to wake them up.

The only time I used that method was so that the monsters wouldn't be active when they teleported. Otherwise, I prefer the "wake them up by shooting" method. 1ntru's problem happened to me in a WOS map as well. :)

Ribbiks said:

have another line after the main teleport line (in the monster closet) that sends the monster back to the beginning of the conveyor belt, so if something is blockin' em they just keep retrying.

That's what I said ...

I could not find that ejaculating penis in map08 Harmata wrote about.
Will there be any other difference between current speedyshare version and upcoming Idgames version than the different host? If not then I will just download from speedy and finaly start playing.

So, I've played roughly a third of this megawad and I feel the need to give some feedback.
I don't want to post a rating over at Idgames until I complete the whole wad, so I thought this thread would be the best place.

Anyway, so far it has been a pretty nice journy and although I'm not through it yet, I dare to say that I already like it better than any of the other CC projects.

Map06, Map08 and Map09 are by far my favortites so far, all incredibly well designed and a lot of fun to play, especially map08 (incidentally I recently made a map called "frosty reception" wich isn't released yet, lol) as I like hunting for secrets and the theme was really cool (no pun intended).
Map09 is truly awesome and is definitely my 2nd favorite so far, the only gripe I have with this map is that the blue key ambush is really unfair IMO and I wonder if anyone survived this without prior knowledge.
I also liked Phobus' maps (03 and 07) mostly for the unique mapping style. Although some people seem to have troubles with map07 in particular, I had no major problems beating this map (I play without mouselook btw). "Three is a charm" would have been much better if the outside areas weren't as dark, but it was fun nonetheless.

Map10 by DutchDevil looks stunning without a doubt and I give extra credit for using mostly vanilla textures, however I think the gameplay really suffers in this map. Way too many teleport traps that get too easy once you know about them and I was asking myself: will it ever end?
The trap after opening the yellow gate in the courtyard also seemed very unfair unless you know what is going to happen. The fight with the Revenants and the Mancubi near the end was really thrilling and entertaining though!

I first had a bad feeling about Map11 as I was very tired when I started this map. However I gave it another try the next day and I have to say I really like this map. Maybe the 6-key setup is a little too much for some people, but personally I enjoy long non-linear maps like this, especially if it doesn't throw tons of enemys in your face and doesn't turn into a slaughter fest. Nice job!

I just stopped playing at map12, because the final(?) battle with all the Revenants, Mancubi and Chaingunners really threw me off and I was tired of reloading a savegame halfway through the map (I usually restrict myself using only one save per map). The level itself is quite nicely done, although a bit monotone in terms of visuals perhaps, but some of the fights are kind of frustrating IMO (I'm looking at you PainElementals >:().
Also another example of teleport-trap abuse in my book and I really hate the fact that several passages, necessary to complete the map, are completely hidden from the automap. What's the reason behind that?
I also found myself being out of ammo a few times and although there seem to be enough stuff laying around, I think it could have been placed better, because a lot of times the path back is blocked when a battle occurs, making all that ammo that you would need to survive that fight inaccessible.
Btw, I play every map from pistol-start, in case you're wondering.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to continue playing the wad... I'll be back with more feedback :)

Here's a hotfix which corrects the bug on MAP29 that was discussed in this thread. You should no longer be able to block monsters from teleporting into the level, and thus block yourself from getting 100% Kills.

http://speedy.sh/8fJd2/cchest4.zip

I hope to God this is the last time I'll have to update this WAD.

P.S. If a conveyor belt teleporter fails to work, it is a failure of the designer, not the effect. See other levels in the WAD that use it for working examples (e.g. MAP12).

Vader said:
I don't want to post a rating over at Idgames until I complete the whole wad, so I thought this thread would be the best place.

Or you could post to the DW Megawad Club thread for CC4 :)

Map 29 ...

I've noticed that T398 - former human - only gets one chance to teleport. To fix, if so desired, is to change line 9601 to linetype 208, drag lines 9601 and 9597 about 64 map units north, and remove the linetype from line 9837.

It would appear that this is the only one missed.

Capellan said:

Or you could post to the DW Megawad Club thread for CC4 :)

Yeah, I thought about that too, but seeing that you guys are already past map20 and I propably won't be able to catch up, I posted my feedback here :P
Would have been kind of weird if I stepped in and started talking about the early maps I guess...