Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doomist

Font File Won't Delete!

So a while back I posted about me not getting to run added programs in Windows 3.1. I figured that out (thanks!), but then I got a new desktop computer. I installed Windows 3.1 again, and I decided to re-install it by deleting everything. This was because I wanted to install an S3 graphics card, but the path was somehow incorrect. (Somebody could probably answer that too?) So, one font file wouldn't delete (CGA40WOA.FON), and when I try to delete it or move it, it would show "Moving" or "Preparing to delete", but it never ends! I once left it "preparing to recycle" while I took a 40 (or so) minute shower, and it was still there! It says "Time Remaining: Calculating..." for ever! Is there a certain program? (BTW, I tried Malware Bytes, and the file assassin freezes when I try deleting the file. The command prompt doesn't let you type after I try deleting it either!)

Assuming this Win3.1 install is on it's own partition, you could just backup anything you want to keep and wipe the partition clean with a full format?

When I was having file deletion problems, I would restart into safe or DOS mode and brutally "del" it from the command line.

Just delete it when you're not in DOSbox. If it won't delete then use a tool like Killbox on it or do it in safe mode, or from a Linux LiveCD, etc, etc.

In the good old days when I used Win 3.1, if something like this happened, I would boot off a floppy, navigate to the file in question and delete it from the command prompt. I don't suppose that you can do something like that with your setup? I assume that you are running Win7? You should be able to boot off a CD with command line support and delete the file manually.

I've had this problem a couple of times with Windows 7. It seems that sometimes, after a file is deleted, it is still listed in Explorer, even though it was in fact properly deleted from the filesystem. Attempting to delete the file again or rename, move, or copy it will either produce an unhelpful error message or cause Explorer to freeze. After rebooting, the file is gone, with no inconsistencies in the filesystem and no indication that there was ever a problem deleting it in the first place. This seems to happen with totally random files, so I don't think it's anything to do with your Windows 3.1 installation. I haven't the faintest idea what causes it. Just reboot and see if the file's still there.

Never heard of "locked" files or "system" files, huh?

Maes said:

Never heard of "locked" files or "system" files, huh?

Yes, I have. Every other font file deleted, and I'm pretty sure it would tell you if it was locked, or a system file. :\