Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sporku

Post your workstation / gamestation!

Cleaned and reorganized my desk today, and wanted to share. What better a place than Doomworld, right?!

Sporkstation - Part 1!
Sporkstation - Part 2: The re-angling!
Sporkstation - Part 3: The Drumenation.

I've got a bunch more posters I need to hang up that I just haven't gotten around to doing yet, plus there's a few valuable (to me) concert posters I'd prefer to have framed before I decide to hang them up on my wall.

So let's see where Doomworld does their work / gaming at! I'm 100% certain a thread like this has been done before, and I *did* search for one, but didn't deem it worthwhile to bump a post from 2007 so... here we are.

I don't have a camera, but my rig is too ugly to show anyway. It's an old IBM ThinkPad T30 that's missing some panels, so the wireless card, memory, and HD are visible. It has no battery. One keycap is missing (key still works though). The built-in touchpad and speaker don't work. I almost always use an external keyboard/touchpad with it, although mouse isn't needed for much since it only runs various flavors of Linux/BSD. There's only 512MB RAM, but that's plenty enough. Unfortunately it only has two USB ports, and one of them is always in use (Y-adapter for keyboard/touchpad). The fan gets real loud at times, and even starts clicking like it's stuck, but after some time start spinning again. One day I may need to replace it... The machine stays on pretty much 24hrs since can't sleep/suspend without battery, but that's okay it doesn't draw much power anyway. I don't even bother to shutoff the LCD because it always has a pink discoloration in the corner when it comes back on. I don't have a desk, so the machine sits on a small wooden TV tray that's just big enough to hold it plus a few small objects like external HD, cellphone, and a drink cup or two. I don't have a chair, so I sit on my couch to use it, and type with keyboard on lap. I also sleep on that couch. I try not to acquire lots of "stuff" like most people, because there isn't much room, and I don't want to haul it around with me anyway (I live in a small travel trailer).

Some days I wish this was 1990 and I had an Amiga 500 with 1084S monitor and second floppy drive. :-)

exp(x) said:

Desk: $50
Chair: $270

I have my priorities.

Too bad that most swivel chairs use the same gas pistons with the same flimsy attachments that get loose after a year or so, and just spending more money doesn't guarantee you'll get the good stuff. That's why I prefer normal chair or older swivel chairs without gas pistons.

Maes said:

Too bad that most swivel chairs use the same gas pistons with the same flimsy attachments that get loose after a year or so, and just spending more money doesn't guarantee you'll get the good stuff. That's why I prefer normal chair or older swivel chairs without gas pistons.

Good thing this is a Herman Miller chair; they don't use stock pistons. I bought two of them 3 years ago, and they're in fantastic condition.

kristus said:

Sprok: Never knew you were into music.

A hobby I've recently picked up over the last couple of years, so unfortunately I'm a total noob. I'm currently in the process of learning to play the two instruments I have (drums and keys). Drums I'd say I'm moderately okay at, and keys... well, I'll have to get back to you on that one.

That TV isn't actually sitting on top of that chair, is it? Praying to god it's wall-mounted and the chair's just there for shits and giggles. Pretty nifty setup with the (I'm guessing) live Quake feed.

My setup is sadly in a transitional phase due to a cross country move. This is from a year or two ago:

http://cb-sc.com/doomstuff/ego/IMG_20100916_080425.jpg

I still have to work on getting more furniture and equipment over here on the west coast. I'm on a wooden writing desk right now, cramming two monitors on it with a third sadly sitting unused in the corner. I have that receiver as well, but no turntable, and the receiver's power switch got broken in the move so I've been using strictly headphones for months. Once I get a new desk in and get a new amplifier though, I'll gladly post update pics.

the most important thing that you can't see in my photo is the extremely creepy clown painting signed: Victor...
so much inspiration comes from stairing at that nightmarish painting.
that and plants. fake plants, real plants...creative environments scream for interesting things to look at.
vital.

I'll grab a photo on the weekend.

Shaikoten said:

photo

Sucks to hear about your receiver breaking. :( I'm going to take a guess at the headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-531?

kristus: Nice to see you still have your pair of Beyers. :D

AgentSpork said:

That TV isn't actually sitting on top of that chair, is it? Praying to god it's wall-mounted and the chair's just there for shits and giggles. Pretty nifty setup with the (I'm guessing) live Quake feed.

Heh, yeah it's wall mounted. The chair is there cause I got such a small apartment and I also put my feet on it. And you guessed right. the feed is from this summer's Dreamhack event. :D

Khorus said:

I'll grab a photo on the weekend.

Sucks to hear about your receiver breaking. :( I'm going to take a guess at the headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-531?

kristus: Nice to see you still have your pair of Beyers. :D

DT-770 pro 250ohm. Sadly I've gotten rid of most of my other high end cans. The DT series takes abuse like no one's business, all of my other high end headphones I'm afraid to scratch and such, for fear of ruining their finish. I used to own a couple pairs of woodies, both headphile modded Grados and a nice pair of ATs. But despite their gorgeous looks and great sound, the Beyer wins out in long term comfort, durability, and a non-fatiguing sound to my ears.

killer2 said:

Razer Lycosa Mirror <3
Pretty cool anime stuff collection too. What's up with the small monitor, though?

From the looks of it, that hutch desk wouldn't accommodate anything much bigger than what they already have, and a widescreen monitor *especially* wouldn't fit in that space. :P

killer2 said:

What's up with the small monitor, though?

No real need to get anything bigger, plus yeah, the desk is limiting. Too big monitors and TVs are just like expensive cars anyway: Penis extensions. ;)

I hope my next monitor will be an entire computer: an iMac. Too bad it's most probably just a pipe dream; I can't pretend I afford that for what it's worth.

Jodwin said:

No real need to get anything bigger,

Doesn't wide-screen offer more peripheral vision when playing Doom? Relevant in multiplayer.

Here's my current desk. Kinda messy but I don't care; the whole apartment is crowded with objects. The oscilloscope is not connected to the computer, but it could be (I never cared about using it with the PC, though). The little device in the center is my tiny-weeny battery powered electric guitar amplifier (the speaker is hidden beneath some papers).