Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sporku

Post your workstation / gamestation!

Jodwin said:

Too big monitors and TVs are just like expensive cars anyway: Penis extensions. ;)

I don't really agree. Then again, I'm a resolution nut. I always want a bigger resolution and can't afford to play anything that has a smaller resolution than my monitor, so I keep trying to find weird hacks that make old games 1080p.

Jodwin said:

No real need to get anything bigger, plus yeah, the desk is limiting. Too big monitors and TVs are just like expensive cars anyway: Penis extensions. ;)

I have a hard time programming without two monitors; one for the code, the other for a web browser for Googling things and looking at APIs. I did OK with one of my 24" widescreen monitors just by partitioning the screen in the middle, but two is really nice.

Whatever, I think I just don't have enough space in my room for two wide screens :( Then again, isn't it bad for the eyes to look at two screens at once?

Yo man turn that widescreen on its side and that frown upside-down. :-)
More visible lines is where it's at when coding. Although dudes like Linus Torvalds would object at anything beyond 80x25, coz that encourages you to have long complex functions instead of keeping them simple, short and sweet.

exp(x) said:

I have a hard time programming without two monitors; one for the code, the other for a web browser for Googling things and looking at APIs. I did OK with one of my 24" widescreen monitors just by partitioning the screen in the middle, but two is really nice.

I can certainly agree in regards to programming, and if I used this computer for that I'd probably get a bigger monitor. But I don't, because I already write enough code at work. Don't want to spend my free time doing the same thing I do for a living. ;)

@hex11: Depends on what IDE you're using. Wouldn't want to lose the screen real estate for side bars in Visual Studio or Eclipse or.... But if you're all about notepad or your Lunix alternative, then sure, vertical works fine.

Jodwin said:

I can certainly agree in regards to programming, and if I used this computer for that I'd probably get a bigger monitor. But I don't, because I already write enough code at work. Don't want to spend my free time doing the same thing I do for a living. ;)

I can respect that. Unfortunately as a grad student, my work/home boundaries are a bit non-existent.

larger or multiple monitors are very helpful in music and sound design too. DAWs can get extremely crowded on one small screen (except for ableton live, which obviously was designed by a demi-god.)