Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A.Gamma

Ambushes, how do you prefer them?

Mass teleports with at least 4 destinations. Blue room in AV26 never gets old.

Hordes popping up with insta-raise floors are nice too, but single monsters that appear in your face are a no-no for me (IIRC 2002ADO abused this).

Dumping archies into an arena you've cleared earlier.

Monster closets for small ambushes (single archie, couple of revs, bunch of imps).

Altering the map layout to reveal new hordes (be it simple like PL32 or ridiculous like CC4 map32).

Belial said:

...Altering the map layout to reveal new hordes (be it simple like PL32 or ridiculous like CC4 map32).

Heh, I haven't gotten so far on CC4 but i guess now I'll have to IDCLEV...

I also prefer variety of traps. Unfortuantely I'm yet to learn how to implement more ways other than monster closets and simple teleport on linedefs.

A.Gamma said:

CHEATER haxorz!!!11!!eleven! :P

Blatantly obvious ambushes are the most fun for me. You just know that grabbing that weapon or power-up is going to trigger an ambush be it a closet or a teleporter. It always make me smile though when you get something unexpected though.

Ambushes are fun and an integral part of Doom. Without ambushes you'd rob Doom of something special - just don't go overboard and chuck in an ambush for every pickup!!

A.Gamma said:

Come on, be a sport and fight to get there! :P

I prefer closet ambushes over teleport ambushes. The latter just feels less creative for me, when monsters are just appearing somewhere. I like monsters coming out of liquids, but not from solid surfaces. And finally, I prefer ambushes from time to time and not too frequently. Later levels of congestion 1024 was really annoying for me.

Hi,
I don't know if it counts but personally i'm not a big fan of ( nearly ) all kind of ambushes, i prefer when there's a small amount of enemies rather than a big pack of those ( ie : 20 or more tough monsters, like Archies ) spawning all around me because doing the same things again and again tends to lead me to boredom.