Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ant

PrBoom-plus newbie question: Video capturing and fast video playbacks.

Memfis said:

What are you using to make videos? Prboom-Plus has a built-in lmp->mkv converter that should work without problems on pretty much any computer. Read this thread for more info: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/57958-need-help-with-making-doom-youtube-videos/

Win32 prboom-plus-2.5.1.3\usage.txt says this which is what I am doing:

"VIDEO CAPTURE

This feature allows you to record movie files, suitable for viewing or
upload to websites.
Prboom-plus uses external command line encoding tools to accomplish
this. You will need the following:
oggenc2 ;ogg vorbis audio encoder
http://www.rarewares.org/ogg-oggenc.php
x264 ;h264 video encoder
http://x264.nl/
mkvmerge ;mkv muxer
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

These applications can be placed in the same folder as Prboom-plus..."

Using the movie recording feature is simple. The command line parameter
is "-viddump filename", and is meant to be used with -timedemo.
Example:
prboom-plus -timedemo 30uv1437 -viddump foo.mkv

This will create foo.mkv playing demo 30uv1437.lmp. By default, foo.mkv
will be an mkv container containing h264 video and vorbis audio, which
most popular video sharing sites should understand.

The recording uses all of your normal video and sound options, so make
sure things like video resolution, gamma correction, audio samplerate,
and sound volume are how you want them beforehand. Both OpenGL and
software renderers are supported. Music recording will happen as long
as you are not using the SDL or Portmidi music options. The video and
sound are encoded as the demo is played, so the process can be slow even
on a fast computer. But, regardless of how fast the encoding goes, the
resulting file can playback at full speed with perfect sound sync and no
dropped frames. Note that while you can watch the demo as it records,
you will not be able to hear any sound..."

walter confalonieri said:

i don't even known too this feature....

thanks for the tip!

You're welcome. Let me know if you have the same problem I am having.

ant said:

Hello.

I am trying to record my old DOOM 2 v1.9 mods. (http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/doom2/j2doom/j2doom.html )'s in game demos. I am having an issue. After doing two quick test records, my video demo playbacks are showing gameplays too fast in both Media Player Classic-Home Cinema and VideoLAN Client players. How do I fix this? :(

Thank you in advance. :)

That sounds like you're using -playdemo instead of -timedemo on the command line.

Ryback said:

That sounds like you're using -playdemo instead of -timedemo on the command line.

This was when I was recording the default ingame demos and my own single player game as tests. :(

The idea is that you record a demo as normal (without trying to make a video of it while you're doing so). Then, using the lmp file you've created, you make it into a video by playing it back and using these special command-line options.

Grazza said:

The idea is that you record a demo as normal (without trying to make a video of it while you're doing so). Then, using the lmp file you've created, you make it into a video by playing it back and using these special command-line options.

Ah, I hope I did this right:

E:\dl\doom\prboom-plus-2.5.1.3-win32\prboom-plus-2.5.1.3\glboom-plus.exe -playdemo demo3.lmp -viddump test.mkv

I recorded for about five seconds and then exited the game. I played it back and same problem. http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/test.zip for the 1.3 MB zipped MKV video capture file.

ant said:

E:\dl\doom\prboom-plus-2.5.1.3-win32\prboom-plus-2.5.1.3\glboom-plus.exe -playdemo demo3.lmp -viddump test.mkv

That's the problem there, you're still trying to use -playdemo. Encoding a video uses a lot of processing power, which means prboom-plus runs considerably slower. But -playdemo tries to keep the timing real-time, so it skips forward and you end up with a video that looks like it's in fastforward. The -timedemo parameter allows Doom's internal speed to vary, so there's no skipping forward in the video file.

Use this command line:

E:\dl\doom\prboom-plus-2.5.1.3-win32\prboom-plus-2.5.1.3\glboom-plus.exe -timedemo demo3.lmp -viddump test.mkv

Ryback said:

That's the problem there, you're still trying to use -playdemo. Encoding a video uses a lot of processing power, which means prboom-plus runs considerably slower. But -playdemo tries to keep the timing real-time, so it skips forward and you end up with a video that looks like it's in fastforward. The -timedemo parameter allows Doom's internal speed to vary, so there's no skipping forward in the video file.

Use this command line:

Ah!! That worked, but wow the recording takes forever. There's no way to speed this up, huh? I have one demo that is 30 minutes long. Ugh! 2.5 MB for nine seconds long in a MKV file. :O

No real way to speed it up, no. Encoding good quality HD videos takes time. About all you can do is change the display resolution. 1280 x 720 is a decent size for widescreen demos, and you can probably get away with something like 960 v 540 or even 720 v 480 if you don't need to encode at HD levels.

Ryback said:

No real way to speed it up, no. Encoding good quality HD videos takes time. About all you can do is change the display resolution. 1280 x 720 is a decent size for widescreen demos, and you can probably get away with something like 960 v 540 or even 720 v 480 if you don't need to encode at HD levels.

Ah, I was using 1024x768. My cable Internet's 1 Mb/sec upload sucks too, so I can't make its video file big. I remember back in when I was recording with DOSbox, it was big and long enough to Google Video. [sighs]