Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheUltimateDoomer666

The music in the console versions of DOOM

Slightly offtopic, but am I the only one who thought that the original midi for TNT Map11 sounded like utter crap?

It's actually why this amazes me so much, can't quite believe the improvement O_o

The Lorcan remixs for Evilution. It's surprising good to listen to.
If you got ZDoom, I can link the actual songs so that they can be played in the source port.

As for the Music, I kinda enjoy all versions of it. I admit, I do have a soft spot for the 32X version as it was my first console version of Doom.

I just thought it was so awesome to see Doom on my 13' TV and even by my more modern standards, even with the inferior music, the gameplay, graphics, and control are still pretty solid. Wish it still had Inferno, but there are ROM patches for that. :)

SNES. First doom experiences, love that port, yada yada. Ambiance was good for n64 but i just can't stomach it in the original levels where i'm used to hearing the tunes.

Mr. Freeze said:

It's amazing how the difference in music changes the mood utterly. In PC Doom, the music makes you feel like an unstoppable killing machine. In Doom PSX you feel like a total pussy...and the level didn't change at all!

It's interesting you say that. I have the impression that id went through a radical change in design philosophy while they were making the Doom games. The first one still has a few of the cartoony elements from Commander Keen, but in the space of a few months they went for a full-on gothic horror aesthetic for Doom II (and later Quake).

But Bobby Prince's music undercuts the mood, 'cause it's sort of camp and silly at times. I'm thinking specifically of the music from Doom II, Map01, which was the first Doom music I heard. It's a kind of fairground organ tune that doesn't sound like something from the depths of hell. It sounds like Deep Purple, or Emerson Lake & Palmer. Bloody organ, I hate organs.

The 3DO renditions are clearly the best on a purely technical level, but even then the problem is that Doom needed e.g. Godflesh, or Napalm Death, or Thomas Koner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mCVxrq6kAg

Or actual Slayer, not MIDI versions of Slayer, or Alice in Chains. I assume id didn't have the budget to licence the original tracks, which is a shame because e.g. Wipeout on the Playstation - with a soundtrack of actual music from real bands, Orbital and Future Sound of London - was helped immensely by its soundtrack.

Would have been good if they'd sprung for audio versions of the tracks for the CD release of Doom II. Was there a CD release of Doom II?

The PC Version makes you go on a killing spree, leaving no demon unharmed.

PSX on the other hand was designed to scare the shit out of you.

I can see pros and cons of both, but I have to say that the latter is - in my eyes at least - what Doom was supposed to be.

To be honest, I don't really care for PC Doom's music. It just sounds really cheesy to my ears. Well...a couple of tracks stand out (E1M5 and 7) but no more than that. PSX Doom has THE best soundtrack of any Doom game in my opinion.

PSX Doom has THE best soundtrack of any game

Not sure I'd go that far. There's way too many contenders.

Eris Falling said:

Examples, please.

Mass Effect series, Silent Hill series, Quake, Quake II, Deus Ex, Deus Ex HR, Mortal Kombat series, GTA series, Elder Scrolls series, Alien Trilogy, FF series, Halo series...

When i first played doom, i thought it was made FOR the 32x, cuz, you know, dumb kid. When i finally did play the PC version,you could imagine my reaction to the difference in music amongst other thigs. Ugh, those were dark times with 32x doom.

DoomUK said:

Mass Effect series, Silent Hill series, Quake, Quake II, Deus Ex, Deus Ex HR, Mortal Kombat series, GTA series, Elder Scrolls series, Alien Trilogy, FF series, Halo series...

Rise Of The Triad, Darkstalkers, Valve Games, Legend Of Zelda, Monty on The Run, Sonic series, Wolfenstein 3D, Spear Of Destiny, Jazz Jackrabbit...

Dr. Durr said:

Rise Of The Triad, Darkstalkers, Valve Games, Legend Of Zelda, Monty on The Run, Sonic series, Wolfenstein 3D, Spear Of Destiny, Jazz Jackrabbit...

Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Re-Loaded, Outcast, Forsaken.

Don't get me wrong, the Doom PSX soundtrack is definitely in my Top 10 favourite game soundtracks of all time but there is a lot more videogames that have kickass soundtracks that are actually more musical.