Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

ASMR or Empathy Nerve?

I dunno if other people experience this but it's like a tingling or buzzing that wells from the solarplexes I guess and generates outward. It usually occurs when someone is explaining something to someone else and I'm listening in. It often occurs when someone is talking about or doing their job that they enjoy, take pride in and are good at, and they are talking about it to someone else or to me. It's like I'm picking up on their positive energy and it is giving me fuzzing sensation. It can also occur when someone explains something to me (usually not something mundane like driving directions). It can also occur if someone is really focused on what they are doing--trying to work something out (maybe a drawing, a math problem, etc. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, I try to increase the sensation cause it's cool, but it invariably fades after some time.

Does anyone else experience this or have any idea what I'm on about?

Yes, I experience this in similar situations. In school settings, I used to experience this with certain teachers in the opening days of classes. It's an "airy" feeling. After I'm familiar with a person, the sensations usually stop.

It's why people talk about the heart as if it was the source of emotion. In reality it's more a reaction to the hormones released from the brain that makes the heart beat faster and crap like that.

Hellbent said:

I dunno if other people experience this but it's like a tingling or buzzing that wells from the solarplexes I guess and generates outward.

Does anyone else experience this or have any idea what I'm on about?

If it works its way up the neck to become a dull ache in the jawbone - could be angina.

Krispy said:

You mean goosebumps? Yeah.

I found out after doing some research, that Goosebumps, or your Arrector pili muscles, was more than likely a human natural defense mechanism; back when we were more primitive and had much more hair, it would puff us up and make us appear to be bigger.

Or if you're diehard christian then whatever you choose man your pick

I've never experienced this myself.

Unless it's this:

Close, personal attention from another person

And it's a lady. I guess.

Yeah, I feel this when I'm getting a haircut or a good massage. I also used to feel it hearing someone type away on a clicky keyboard. Sometimes I can induce a weak one myself. Hard to explain, but I kind of flex the muscles on the back of my neck and scalp.

jute said:

This feeling has a name: http://www.asmr-research.org/

SUCKS TO YOUR ASMR

It's not goosebumps, it's something else that's rarer. I used to have it quite a bit as a kid, in fact I think I can remember the first time I felt it (trying out shoes once) and I've been losing it ever since. Maybe some sort of evolutionary response?

I don't remember when I first starting experiencing it, but I have some strongish memories of it from like 10 years ago. I don't think I experience quite as much as I used to, but I haven't been paying attention to it, either. Did anyone check out the ASMR videos? Some of them are pretty effective.

it's happened to me the most when i've watched someone else learning something. usually when the person is reading something and i can see from the expression on their face that they are very interested in what they are learning, but also when a person figures something out -- like a puzzle, or how to fix something.
i also experienced it briefly when i opened that first link about ASMR and started reading, but other than that i think it's been awhile.

i should've been a teacher. ASMR-orgasm all day long. heh.

The Lag said:

it's happened to me the most when i've watched someone else learning something. usually when the person is reading something and i can see from the expression on their face that they are very interested in what they are learning, but also when a person figures something out -- like a puzzle, or how to fix something.
i also experienced it briefly when i opened that first link about ASMR and started reading, but other than that i think it's been awhile.

i should've been a teacher. ASMR-orgasm all day long. heh.

heh, yeah, me too. I was just thinking this about a week ago, actually, for the same reason.