Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LakiSoft

Which Episode of Doom 1 are your favorite?

Could you elaborate? This is a forum of discussion, not Tourette's Sufferers Anonymous.

Myself, Episode 3's strongest moments come in levels like Mt. Erebus - not so much for the sprawling nature of the stage, but it helps - where the level offers so much in terms of exploration, monster fights, getting lost, et cetera. And yet, if the level is known inside-out, a player can cut it real fucking short. Play how you want to, the level's still challenging either way. Slough of Despair offers this much and (to a lesser extent) so does Unholy Cathedral.

The aesthetic of E3 may be lacking and occasionally painful, but I think the level layouts stand up very well. Even not-so-strong stages like House of Pain and Hell Keep are distinctive and memorable.

Again, I exempt boss stages and secret levels because of their nature. The rest is pretty damn cool. Even Limbo. Yeah, I said it.

E1 is safer and more consistent and was built alongside the engine; J.Romero could probably go and ask for X feature.

E2 and E3 are more experimental but were designed once the engine was essentially finished; Sandy had to work with a largely set in stone set of features that were, mostly, originally designed for E1.

I think this shows right down to the wall textures; E1's artwork is generally alot more square and chunky than E2 and E3's textures which feature more curves.

Vermil said:

E1 is safer and more consistent and was built alongside the engine; J.Romero could probably go and ask for X feature.

He didn't ask for any features, he coded them up himself.

Vermil said:

E2 and 3 are more experimental, but were designed once the engine was essentially finished.

About 40% of those maps are actually Tom Hall's, which were made around the 0.5 mark. If he needed a feature, he could've asked for it. Hell, even teleporting was Tom's idea, and he made E2M1 to showcase its functionality.

Technician said:

Episode 1 for me. Episode 3 is Peterson's bowl movement.

Technician said:

Episode 3 is Peterson's bowl movement.

Technician said:

Peterson's bowl movement.

Who is Peterson and what is his bowling average?