Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Tango TV [BLOODSHEDDER IS THE MAN]

And now it's officially a series! Way to go :)

While everyone is eagerly waiting for the Snakes interview to link in, allow me to remind you all of the Hellbent interview that is waiting in the wings! I don't have many questions to commit to the interview at this stage, unfortuantely, and we're both straining at the leash to get this particular one underway... so wheel them in, people! Questions for Hellbent. PM me!

I've been working on heavily revising some of the stuff I have in the works, so please don't consider interviewing me until I PM you guys saying that I'm ready. I'd rather talk about my stuff when I actually have more to show/talk about. I realize that I'm probably already a low-priority interviewee to begin with, but I wanted to notify you of this regardless.

Tango said:

my mic got mostly unplugged near the end so i'm almost compltely inaudible towards the end. so. not quire sure what to do about that.

As long as there's any audio data in there and isn't dead silent (and I mean DEAD silent, not just mostly), it should be okay, just amplify it to the same volume as how you sounded in the rest of the interview, and try to do some noise removal after taking that step. Sure, the quality might be lower, but it's better than doing everything all over again.

Snakes said:

I had to scramble out the door before I could give an epic, inspirational closing speech.

Maybe you could write one and it could be edited into the existing ending during post-production. It could be perceived as a little "dishonest" to "retcon" something into the interview that wasn't part of it, but oh well, it'd improve it and give it some nice closure, and was something that was already intended to be included anyway, if not due to immediate time constraints on Snake's end.

Really it would have been something like: "Be open to advice and criticism and don't be intimidated."

There, I said it.

I think you guys should update the first post with the interviews so that its easier for us to find them.

Just listened to the first one and enjoyed it. Looking forward to more.

Kristus and myself are looking for a moderator for our discussion. We're looking at sometime this weekend to record it. Someone who is a little familiar with our work is preferable. :)

If there are any specific questions that you'd like to put to either of us, now is a good time to put them out there. :)

i've been very busy as of late, with school, other games, btsx, and tnt2 stuff, among other things, so i'm trying my best to manage everything. in the next few days i'd really like to properly fix up both interviews and put out the final cuts of them, and write up transcripts too 7_7 if anyone wants to help with writing those though then that'd be very much appreciated

khorus: sorry to say i will probably not be able to do it myself :\

@Khorus: If you don't mind me stepping in to moderate the discussion between you guys (and to make it Tango TV official: introductions, conclusions, loose formatting et al) I'd be more than happy to do so. But if you'd rather someone else fit the bill instead then that would only be a sensible decision :p

@Tango: I feel like I should probably assist with the transcripts, so perhaps we could split it 50/50 for the time being? I'd have to wait until the Xaser interview is trimmed down to size though... heh.

The Hellbent interview is slated for release in a couple of days. The questions are in! You can still send me some via PM if you're desperate to ask more, though.

st.alfonzo said:

I'd have to wait until the Xaser interview is trimmed down to size though... heh.

Why? I loved how long it was, it was interesting to listen to so much detailed insight.

I actually have to agree; it was pretty fun to listen to the three of you making discussion as you were. I felt like I was at a Doom get-together or something. I almost never listen to radio but when it comes to Doom-related content (as well as any necessary random nonsense) I'm there. It also makes it a little more human, like Skillsaw mentioned.

Oh no arguments there. I'm just not sure I have it in me to transcribe a 1h 16m disucssion! That, and listening to my voice slowed down to < 0.5 the regular speed just so I can type it out as it plays is... unhealthy, to say the least.

I'm not sure how else transcriptions are made, though. Are there alternatives? Perhaps using some sort of speech recognition/transcription software to capture everything and then editing out all the faults might be a faster process.

st.alfonzo said:

I'm not sure how else transcriptions are made, though. Are there alternatives? Perhaps using some sort of speech recognition/transcription software to capture everything and then editing out all the faults might be a faster process.

Youtube has this system where it 'transcribes' based on the audio, the result is pretty bad. Speech recognition programs like Dragon are probably better, but they rely on clearly spoken words. I'd assume with how you guys were talking, i.e. a casual environment, chances are words won't be clearly enunciated. The result with using speech recognition programs for this would be a massive hit and miss, and would take as much effort as doing it from scratch, if not more.

But I am a bit of a skeptic when it comes to speech recognition programs, so I guess it can't hurt to try. :-)

EDIT: Should hire a stenographer, that'd probably be the most helpful!

“No! I must kill the TV” Tango shouted
The radio said “No, Tango. You are the TV”
And then Tango was a TV.

THIS IS AN AWESOME IDEA.

Seriously, there are a bunch of interviewees (as well as the interviewers themselves) that I am genuinely curious about. It will be awesome to finally see some of the humans behind the great maps and the *usually* interesting forum posts.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

“No! I must kill the TV” Tango shouted
The radio said “No, Tango. You are the TV”
And then Tango was a TV.

tango and thomas van der velden are the same person? that changes everything!

@Tango: No problem. :)

st.alfonzo said:

@Khorus: If you don't mind me stepping in to moderate the discussion between you guys (and to make it Tango TV official: introductions, conclusions, loose formatting et al) I'd be more than happy to do so. But if you'd rather someone else fit the bill instead then that would only be a sensible decision :p

You'd be more than fine. :) I'll be available any time on this weekend, I'll try and find out about Kristus and we'll arrange something.

He's the instigator of numerous community projects such as DTWiD and Greenwar, a notorious "pillar" of the community, and perhaps one of the greatest heralds of classic Dooming to be found on the forums today.

Tango TV presents to you >> An Interview with a Hellbent <<

Things to learn for the discerning interviewer:

1. Stop blabbering, you fool.
  2. Have breakfast. Your brain is functioning at suboptimal levels.
  3. Punch your voice box before interviewing. Your voice needs to come down by at least half an octave!
These and many more unprofessionalisms can be found in the otherwise intriguing encounter with the pernickety* Hellbent of Doomworld. And if you'd like to be interviewed as part of the ongoing interviewing project and assist in Tango TV's inevitable rise to dominance, drop us a line!

*I didn't know this was a word. How fascinating.

And the very first question in Hellbent's interview shows why you should tell the interviewee what you're going to ask them a day or two before you actually do the recording :)

I'd be up for doing this, if people have an interest in hearing about Doom stuff from the 90s.

Capellan said:

And the very first question in Hellbent's interview shows why you should tell the interviewee what you're going to ask them a day or two before you actually do the recording :)

Yeah, probably. There's a question from purist roughly 10 minutes in which isn't really done justice because, as with many questions that require you to list or think up examples, it leads to a little bit of dead air.

As many people have expressed, I think there's a natural feel to the interviews when questions and topics are off the cuff, but yeah, that doesn't mean the interviewee should remain in the dark beforehand. Clueing them in on what subjects are going to be covered, or in particular which questions might require a bit of "brain racking", will both minimise dead air (which there hasn't been too much of, thus far) and allow for even more interesting responses to broader, more reactive questions. The mode of informal conversation does a good job in keeping it human, anyway.

Tango said:

i will once you sign up for an interview, dawg

Seconded! ;)

Capellan said:

I'd be up for doing this, if people have an interest in hearing about Doom stuff from the 90s.

Awesome, an Adam Windsor review will make my day.

st.alfonzo said:

The mode of informal conversation does a good job in keeping it human, anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I like the informal format a lot. That shouldn't change. Just be aware of questions that really require some time* to think about the answers, and make sure your guest knows they're coming and can prepare for them.

* in an audio interview, a good rule of thumb is "it takes longer to think of an answer than it takes to repeat the question back to the interviewer"

Alrighty then! Thanks a lot for the feedback, and I'll totally tend to that in time for the next interview, with or without the eponymous hero (stop being "busy", Tango!).

It was fun doing this interview, and I'm pretty stoked about being able to improve in this role as time goes on. My apologies, therefore, to the first bout of interviewees who will no doubt have to contend with my shortcomings in the mean time.

EDIT: I just realised that around the 9 minute mark the sound cuts out suddenly -- probably because I was receiving another incoming call in skype whic I had to cancel -- while Hellbent was describing the nature of one of the recent wads he played through in reponse to purist's question. Sorry about that. Perhaps Hellbent could fill in the gap with what was being said there.

It's persnickety with an 's' ; definitely a word since my iPhone just auto-filled it for me.
I'll listen to the interview later today and see if I can fill in any gaps. I've always struggled with the desert island question, and I've always been inadequate when it comes to keeping track of who's who in the community. It was fun being interviewed and getting a chance to talk a little bit about my mapping process and my thoughts on mapping in general. I thought Alfonzo did a great job as interviewer, and who can blame him for expecting a doom veteran like myself to be able to answer some of those questions better.

EDIT: Boy, I really need to work on my delivery. The deadpan delivery... it's something I've developed over the years, but it's quite lame. It's like I intentionally avoid giving the expected inflection to match the words and point of what I'm saying. It is pretty dreadful listening to myself talk. I should have had someone do dummy-interviewing with me. Deadpan delivery definitely does not work in an interview.

The puzzle wad I referred to was made by InvertCube.

hi guys,

nice job with the interview. i had an all day event yesterday at my house and a few exams tomorrow, but tomorrow evening i should finally get some time to put everything in order, fix up the podcast site, etc etc.

i think it's to be expected in this early stage that there will be some kinks. even after two interviews i don't sound anything like i'd want to, and i continue to have microphone problems which is really unprofessional and needs to be taken care of asap. i did just get a new computer though, so maybe the built-in mic on this one is a bit better? we'll try it out.

i would really like to properly learn how to cut down on the useless chat and be able to really focus on the answers to the questions themselves; during my interview with snakes i certainly had some problems staying on topic and such. like alfonzo said, we apologize to anyone that's doing these early interviews that has to deal with us still learning to handle all this. i've never really had to conduct interviews before so this is all trial and error for me right now. i think as alfonzo and i develop a more comfortable and solidified process for the whole thing, it'll be much easier for the interviewees to just follow our lead.

i think everyone hates the sound of their own voice, so don't be too harsh on yourselves :p

Tango said:

i had an all day event yesterday at my house and a few exams tomorrow, but tomorrow evening i should finally get some time to put everything in order, fix up the podcast site, etc etc.

I suppose this means map01 won't be meeting the deadline tonight :P

Listening through the Hellbent/Alfonzo interview. Quite a lot of break-up on Hellbent's mic, but it's an entertaining listen. As a hobbyist, hearing somebody who is more passionate about my hobby being challenged to talk about it in depth is very interesting. Keep these up! Looking forwards to the Tango/Snakes interview release :)