Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Merging Resources

On Windows XP, I had a number of wad utilities that I used that no longer work. Among these are Wintex and WadMerge. I'm looking to merge the resources of two pwads with a utility on Windows 7. What are my options and which do you recommend? Thanks

Why Doomworld hates XWE? I've never had a problem with it since... uh, well, since the start of this month when I started modding Doom, heh.

LkMax said:

Why Doomworld hates XWE? I've never had a problem with it since... uh, well, since the start of this month when I started modding Doom, heh.

It tends to corrupt your wads sometimes, and it doesn't like to work with things opened in another program

@LkMax: It's not a matter of hate, it's a matter of reliability and stability. That's all.

When I started modding for Doom a few years ago, my first WAD editor was XWE. I used it for a long while. But the random crashes, and that WAD corruption issue made me search for alternatives in SLumpEd and ultimately Slade 3.

Ralphis said:

What are my options and which do you recommend?

Slade and some patience. Apart from being able to have multiple wads open to copy/paste their contents you can also copy/paste texture definitions, with Slade automagically dragging across the relevant patches and updating PNAMES. MAPINFO and other text-based lumps will probably still have to be merged manually.

LkMax said:

Why Doomworld hates XWE?

Hate? I think it's more an acknowledgment of the fact that XWE hasn't been updated for several years and has known issues with newer versions of Windows.