Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
scifista42

Dark sectors in Doom Builder 2

I'm making a map using Doom Builder 2. Normally, while editing in classic mode, the floor textures of sectors are showed. But, if the sector brightness is 64 or lower, plain black color is rendered instead of floor texture. Also in visual mode, you cannot see floor and ceiling textures and even wall textures in dark sectors - again, just plain black is rendered. This behaviour never bothered me before, but now I want to make a large, complicated and very dark underground complex and it's terrible when I cannot see the textures.

Is there any way how to override this behaviour? I have tried to change values in Preferences->Appearance->Texture And Flat Brightness, and it didn't help. All sectors became brighter, but those with brightness lower than 64 remained black. I can partially solve the problem in visual mode by toggling the full brightness mode, but there's still the classic mode.

Any help, please?

If you press B in Visual Mode you can see your map without lighting effects -quite useful for editing. It also makes your map look boring as heck. X-D Just press B again to turn it off.

Yes, I know, that's what I meant when I said "I can partially solve the problem in visual mode by toggling the full brightness mode". I don't mind the full brightness when editing (at least not as much as seeing plain black walls -_-), but still, there must be a better solution that I'm unable to figure out. Thanks anyway.

Doom itself gets extremely dark once you go below 96 lighting. Test your map with a software renderer if you aren't already. 64 is basically as good as jet black.

Before I posted this thread, I tested my map with both hardware and software renderers. In software it was dark enough, but in hardware not. I really need the area to be so dark that player cannot see anything (almost).

So, Gez didn't answer directly to my question and rather discourages me from my intention. I already experienced this before and it usually means that my problem has no solution. Am I right? :p (no offence)

Well, the problem is that it's not dark enough in OpenGL, right?

You can mitigate this a bit. If you have a MAPINFO lump, add

lightmode = 2
to your map definition. That'll take care of GZDoom at least, which will then use a lighting mode as close as possible to emulating vanilla Doom's light model.

Gez said:

Well, the problem is that it's not dark enough in OpenGL, right?

No. The problem is that Doom Builder 2 (both classic and visual mode) don't show textures in sectors with low brightness.

Thanks for your suggestion, but the map will be my contribution to Doom 2 in name only project, which is vanilla compatible, so I cannot use it. (Yes, I know, I don't have to be interested in hardware renderer then, but anyway, I would like to know how to solve the above-mentioned problem.)

scifista42 said:

No. The problem is that Doom Builder 2 (both classic and visual mode) don't show textures in sectors with low brightness.

It's most probably to emulate just how dark it'll look in the actual game.

scifista42 said:

which is vanilla compatible, so I cannot use it.

I can assure you that a ZMAPINFO lump in a WAD will not make it vanilla-incompatible.

Gez said:

I can assure you that a ZMAPINFO lump in a WAD will not make it vanilla-incompatible.

Okay, thank you, but I will not use it. Because, if nothing else, it's at least unusual if a vanilla megawad (with maps from many authors) must contain a ZMAPINFO lump just because one map needs to modify lighting in OpenGL.

And now back to the topic:

Gez said:

It's most probably to emulate just how dark it'll look in the actual game.

YES! And all I need is to turn this behaviour off. Is there a way?