Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ella guro

Doom 2 in name only (tentative title)

Antroid said:

Offtopic somewhat, but in my wad-in-progress i have this in a secret, fake and inacessable! Great minds think alike :D (there's also a bit of a joke about it in map02 but that's spoiling too much)

Having the megasphere there would make it so that 100% items is not possible though, right? I know items are not required for UVMax runs but I believe there are some players out there who still aim towards 100% items anyway during regular playthroughs.

I've had that pointed out to me about another such prank further into the wad. Since it's for zdoom, i just made a fake one :)

an_mutt said:

Oh, sorry - that example you posted wasn't for this wad? :P My bad.

Yeah, that was from a wad i'm constructing in my spare time. We best be done with offtopic here :)

Official Eridian Reviews for D2INO

So I've played through each map (except for 2, dunno what to do with .rar) a few times and I have some feedback, a bit more detailed this time than whatever I've given out on previous occasions.

Map01 - Entryway: Processingcontrol

Wow, what a start to the megawad, I can safely say I have never had more fun with the chaingun, and that music...hell yeah! I'm still yet to find that secret area, and constantly being low on bullets, but rarely running out creates a neat sort of tension. Fantastic work. 5/5
Resurrections: 0

Map04 - The Focus: Antroid

Haha, finally a map that fits Between Levels. Ammo may have been slightly tight in places, but I'm finally getting the hang of that lava maze. Those..what are they lockers...add some nice detail to the map. You've created a neat outpost base there Antroid. Well done. 4.9/5
Resurrections: 1 (fuck you chaingunner)

Map05 - The Waste Tunnels: an_mutt

Hehe, just realised there was a berserk pack at the start. Picked that up and still died because I got carried away ^_^

Your architecture is good, and simulates a tunnel very well. I'm glad you added more radiation suits, because not only does it help get through the level, it adds some realism. There wouldn't be just one person working down there, so there would be more than one suit. Now I've discovered the berserk, I'm not going to comment on the ammo shortage, since it makes a much more useful/fun alternative, especially for spectres. Nicely done. 5/5

Resurrections: 3, but then again I probably would resurrect about 5 times on the original, knowing my track record

Map07: Dea- Wait that's not right...

Map13: Downtown - Glenzinho

Well, what can I say? It's definitely a city, no question. I must confess, I can only fail so many times until I yell 'FUCK IT' and type "God" "SV_infiniteammo true" "SV_Fastweapons 2" and "Give berserk"
Hey, it' still fun even like that. A very hard map, although I guess for Map13, you are deep enough in the game now to expect it. Also, I was trying from a pistol start. I like how you annotated each switch to show which pillars it would deal with, and it made for a nice expansive puzzle too. I still found a bit of bug in the caves (I think blockmap, but I don't understand bugs very well so I could very well be wrong), and if I'm totally honest, that's all you can do to improve: Fix it. Fantastic work. 5/5

Map15: Industrial Zone - cannonball

(After 23 minutes of intense fighting, I walk in and through gritted teeth yell CANNONNNNN!!!!!)

Seriously though, this is a map of epic proportions, and I confess again I had to resort to the fist of doom (uberfast berserk fist) and god mode to finish the level, that onslaught with the cyber...damn..
I saw no misalignment in the textures, and spotted the secret exit this time, but with no idea how to get to it. It is a very hard map, although the ammo is well balanced and well placed, as is health. I offer no suggestions for improvement, although maybe the onslaught could be toned back a TINY bit as it borders on being slaughterish. I got caught in a pursuit through the whole city with some Revenant rockets on my back. Tremendous effort. 5/5

P.S. And add a BFG or 2, but you said you are going on to do that.

Map18: The Courtyard - Kongming

Well, it's definitely a courtyard, though I should've played it with SKY2 rather than 1 to see how it will look in the final release. It's a nice map with a good balance of difficulty and ammo. I'm not sure if TWO Arch-viles in the red key onslaught is necessary, but that might be just me. I'm pleased to say I found 7 secrets this time, rather than my usual 2 or 3, including a BFG which was very handy for the onslaught. When I first played this map a couple of weeks ago, I wasn't sure about the music, but I have really got into it now. Very good effort. 4.9/5

Map26: The Abandoned Mines - Olympus

Your layout is fantastic and it couldn't look more like a mine, but I have to say, I did ragequit this a few times because of difficulty (I do take into account it is MAP26 however), and I think some extra health and ammo(shells) wouldn't go amiss. I nearly punched something when I ran round a corner..straight into a cyberdemon. I think the arachnotron by yellow door is stuck, but you have to shoot it anyway, so it's not a MAJOR problem. Very nicely done. 4.9/5

Eris Falling said:

Map04 - The Focus: Antroid

Haha, finally a map that fits Between Levels ...

Well, i tried, nice to know it's working :) When i have a definitive music for a level, i'm always imagining locations that would fit it too, not just the level's idea.

...what are they lockers...

TBH, that's pretty much my default thing to go for when i need some random details for a bare wall in a basement-type tech base area. :)

Also i saw you raise my score by 0.1 between edits ;) Almost there!

haha yeah, I realised that the ammo isn't really a big deal, and I'm not the best doomer so my ammo conservation isn't great, and also, it was a pistol start, hence the bump :P

Between Levels was a very good music track, can't understand why some people didn't like it..those drums..damn..

I honestly never liked it before making this level, during which i warmed up to it a lot. Though i still think it's not too doomy. In my mind it fits for a sillier sci-fi game without demons and zombies. I do like both surrounding maps' music much more.

See I'm the opposite, I'm sick of Shawn's got the shotgun now..I wasn't a massive fan of it before this project and now.. -_-

Haha the first thing I did when making my map was shove a different midi into it, though I changed it a couple of times before settling on a midi rendition of quad machine which was used in CC4, suits the level in my opinion due to the industrial setting.

Hehe, I think my map could use some different music, but being originally a PSXDoomer I'd be extremely picky, given that PSX itself is only avaliable in MP3 format (gg vanilla), and also I don't know how to change the music. (Seriously, PC Doom is very new to me)

I haven't forgotten the rest of the Eridian feedback, just been very preoccupied in the past 20 mins or so

you can use slade 3 and insert a midi of your choice, just remember to name it D_SHAUN to mark the midi down for map07
Also I hope my map isn't annoying you too much :P

Oh no. It's a very nice map, I just have to play it again to get my final feedback, otherwise I'm basing it on memory. I like the Spiderdemon telefrag shortcut, and that not everyone will notice it. I didn't find it until today :)

As I say, I've just become slightly busy in the past hour or so :P Will update A.S.A.P.

I will look into changing the MIDI, just gotta find one that fits..Although I could take another Doom MIDI? Preferrably a fast paced one to fit the map. TNT08, D_E3M8, or D_E2M1...

No worries, I will need to take a look at my map anyway to sort coop and difficulty settings........and perhaps add a few islands in the the lava river which have bfgs on them :P
I won't be tweaking my map until I've done a few things including fixing a slaughterfest map and finishing coffee break.

I've added my feedback. At least 20 is a memorable page number so people can refer back to these if necessary.

EDIT: Also, is anyone working on ENDOOM?

Hey HEY HEY! Map29 also uses that midi! I was making my level with the original music in mind! Don't you dare~~

Wait, so maps that have the same music can be made to have different music in vanilla?
I honestly didn't think that was the case :D If so, awesome, and nevermind.

Hey there, i was just about to go back and make changes to map 26 and i was wondering if anybody had any feedback besides the 2 posts that commented on it a few pages back. It seems the 2 people doing feedback for all the maps havent got around to both my map and kongmings map, so i was just curious.

@antroid each map is given a different midi name despite whether the same midi plays, for example maps07/19/29 have D_SHAWN/D_SHAWN2/D_SHAWN3

I would totally obsessively play each single map for this project but i decided to hold back and do a cool and awesome LP once it's complete, so you can look forward to that :D (although it would be a touch too late for useful criticism)

@_Bruce_: Just played the updated level, demo here. It's a nice, short and clean, but I still feel it's lacking a little something... Also, you should mark the exit more clearly. As a player I wondered if it (the switch) had something to do with the soulsphere secret.

@cannonball: Very nice open level, however it's very brutal. I made it this far after quite a number of runs... the archies teleporting in with no cover is a little bit on the impossible side! I'm going to stop banging my head against the wall now and try it again later.

@Olympus, you're level's looking pretty good, but I haven't finished it yet... a little bit more health would be nice! You have a few HOMs going on too, such as at the very start, and an outside area on which a Revenant is positioned. I didn't open it up so I don't know if it's a missing texture or not... you've also got that bug in the damaging floor area where you're wearing a rad suit but the floor still damages you from time to time (or to death in my case :(). Nice visuals & dangerous gameplay; once more, a little more health please.

/EDIT I got this far in the end... good level, but I think the crushers at the yellow skull are a bit of a dick move. A bit more health and perhaps more ammo to deal with the Cybie & Spider? (this is on UV, although I tried HMP and didn't see any difference in difficulty) Fix those HOMs! (There are 4 that you can spot in the demo)

@Kongming: I enjoyed this one a lot. I like your courtyard areas and how they are reminiscent of the original in a lot of ways. The green brick hell areas were another memorable part. Dangerous level and the gameplay is pretty tight. DEMO

Sorry to Kong and Olympus, my feedback will be up within the hour.

EDIT: Both done. Edited the review post.

The homs are due to the usage of fall textures which are not included in the original which have been permitted see first post. That's why I did not mention these in my review of the map many eons back. The crushers are a bad idea though in my opinion.

I got pwned by the crushers, when I was pretty sure I was clear of them. Either make the crushers travel further, or remove them completely.

thanks for the review glenzinho,
as for the place you died several times, I'm sure you know this already but at that switch you can run around the back of the large pillar, behind it is some helpful items including a blue armour. I really tried to make sure no fight was overly unfair to the player, but if people are struggling with this and the end cyber fight then I would consider making a few changes.