Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

wtb: multiple keypress keyboard (gaming)

Bunny chewed through the keyboard and mouse cables and so I will need to buy new keyboard and mouse. Looking for wired keyboard with nice action (NOT spongey) and that can handle three or four keys being pressed at once without losing the plot. Basically I just want a good full-size keyboard for playing DOOM. Ideally the keyboard would not be too noisy. And a high resolution mouse. Your experience in this area is appreciated. The Dell keyboard and mouse I had before were fine, but maybe there's something better out there. Don't want to pay more than like $15.

The keyboard I'm replacing was part of a refurbished dell computer and the keyboard left shift key required extra pushing to get it to engage. Pretty annoying. Which makes me question whether I should trust this refurbished keyboard. The description is pretty encouraging, tho.

Item Condition-

This used Dell has been completely refurbished by our tech center. It was thoroughly tested by our technicians and is in perfect working order.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-Genuine-Dell-Thin-USB-Keyboard-USB-Mouse-SK-8115-L100-RT7D50-C8639-T0943-/140834975142?pt=Keyboard_Mice_Bundles&hash=item20ca6b2da6

I'm leaning towards buying this. Would love some input before I do! Thanks DW.

I've always been a cheapskate, but years ago I was trying to replace a mouse and couldn't find a reasonably priced equivalent to what I'd been using, didn't want to downgrade and ended up paying $90 for a 5-buttom wireless Logitech. Now I have 4 of them. So I suppose my point is, you might want to reconsider what you're willing to pay.

You might not want a wireless mouse, but I would absolutely NOT buy a mouse with less than 4 buttons. The buttons on the side default to forward/back and they're every bit as important to me as a scroll wheel now.

Keyboards I'm a bit late to the party on. Again, I used the cheapest one I could find for years. I eventually developed CTS (not because the keyboards were cheap, but because I use them 10+ hours a day) and started using ergonomic keyboards. The Apple aluminum full size keyboards are probably my favorite accessory of all time, but they are expensive.

i bought the $20 mouse/keyboard. Maybe next time I'll get something quality. I use backspace to go back and find that pretty easy.

Hellbent said:

Don't want to pay more than like $15.

That puts you straight into sweatshop/bargain bin territory, no matter how 1337 you want to think you are.

Maes said:

That puts you straight into sweatshop/bargain bin territory, no matter how 1337 you want to think you are.

why are you on my case?

Hellbent said:

I'm leaning towards buying this. Would love some input before I do! Thanks DW.

Guess I'm too late, but I'm pretty sure that mouse is terrible. I bought that same keyboard and mouse combo for my mom a few years back and could never stand the mouse whenever I had to do something on her computer. It has awful tracking. There are decent Dell-branded mice, I used to own one, but I'm pretty sure the one in the picture is the same one she got.

Walmart sells a Logitech mouse for about $12 which is easily on par with everything else I've used. Great tracking, unlike the Dell mouse I mentioned above. The only problem is, they only hold up for about a year. I went through three of them before I decided to splurge for something that would hopefully hold up longer.

Hellbent said:

Bunny chewed through the keyboard and mouse cables

Gimme an address and I'll send Koliko down there to straighten that asshole up.

Oh, and get a trackball instead of a mouse.

And a mechanical keyboard.

And make this face when buying it.

yeah, maybe I shouldn't have been so impatient. The mouse *looks* crappy, but I figured it's probably not since it's a Dell, but... I dunno, hopefully it's not as crappy as it looks and you say it is. :-/ Well, thanks for the feedbacks.

qoncept said:

Also, I'd lose the rabbit

yeah, it's not my rabbit. Left my computer at my cousins since I was living there on the couch while my foot was healing. Came back today to pick it up so I could do some dungeon/petersen mapping and found all the cables chewed through. It's my cousin's silly idea of a pet.

I actually vouch for trackball too, but they don't really make good ones anymore.

Also I love my keyboard. I got it when it was still branded "Saitek Eclipse," but now it's this: http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/v5keyboard.htm Pretty good response, has held up a lot of abuse for a good five years at, which is absolutely a record for me (once went through three keyboards in one year). Only "issue" I've had is that the keys are actually clear plastic with paint on them, so many of the keys have worn to the point where you can't tell what letter is which (not a problem if you type by touch like myself). When I bought it it wasn't fucking $60 though, jesus I just saw what they're selling it for now. It was probably $30 when I got it. That's highly unusual for a peripheral to go UP in price after 5 years.

I like that it doesn't have all those extra macros and bullshit that I'll never use. I don't even use the volume controls, but they're at least off to the side of the keyboard that never gets used anyway. It's likely that there's better keyboards for the price though.

Hellbent said:

looks like a very nice keyboard. I kinda want it.

hi-res photo of the keyboard for those interested.

That is perhaps some of the most un-aesthetically pleasing product design I've seen in quite some time. But then again, most gamer-oriented computer peripherals look quite goofy, so I'm not surprised.

I personally love the heck out of my Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard. Very simple (and not to mention aesthetically pleasing) design with none of that strange angular nonsense. It has all the functions I could possibly ever need without all the extra clutter, types well, and has a rechargeable battery that lasts several months.

Then there's the Logitech MX518 mouse, which is perhaps the best mouse I've ever owned. I believe it's been replaced by the Logitech G400 which looks virtually identical. I've got two MX518s, one of which I've been using for (I believe) over a decade.

though if you are into quakelive, you better have atleast one of those famous logitec or microsoft mouse, or you buy this

Maes said:

Most of these mice look like sex toys.

Glad I'm not the only person to notice this.

Anyway, I use a generic brand keyboard and a generic brand mouse (w/ 3 buttons). Both have served me well for some time, they look elegant enough and when the day comes that they stop doing what they ought to do they aren't expensive to replace.

AgentSpork said:

That is perhaps some of the most un-aesthetically pleasing product design I've seen in quite some time. But then again, most gamer-oriented computer peripherals look quite goofy, so I'm not surprised.

I personally love the heck out of my Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard. Very simple (and not to mention aesthetically pleasing) design with none of that strange angular nonsense. It has all the functions I could possibly ever need without all the extra clutter, types well, and has a rechargeable battery that lasts several months.

Then there's the Logitech MX518 mouse, which is perhaps the best mouse I've ever owned. I believe it's been replaced by the Logitech G400 which looks virtually identical. I've got two MX518s, one of which I've been using for (I believe) over a decade.

Those Saitek keyboards look a bit goofy, but they're damn nice to use. They also way a ton, so they don't slide around your desk. I used one for five years and finally managed to kill it by spilling tea on it.

I actually like angular stuff. Child of the 80s. I detest most curvy products unless they have very clean lines. Mice are an exception. Angular mice aren't fun to use.

Wireless input devices suck. Too many things can interfere and mess up the input. Then there's battery issues. Screw that. I have an expensive wireless laser mouse somewhere, but I'd rather use just about any wired mouse (even those garbage Dell ones). I have a G500 now. It's like your mouse, but with a heavy wheel that can be switched to spin freely. It's great for madly scrolling long Skype chats and such.

Aliotroph? said:

Those Saitek keyboards look a bit goofy, but they're damn nice to use. They also way a ton, so they don't slide around your desk. I used one for five years and finally managed to kill it by spilling tea on it.

I actually like angular stuff. Child of the 80s. I detest most curvy products unless they have very clean lines. Mice are an exception. Angular mice aren't fun to use.

Wireless input devices suck. Too many things can interfere and mess up the input. Then there's battery issues. Screw that. I have an expensive wireless laser mouse somewhere, but I'd rather use just about any wired mouse (even those garbage Dell ones). I have a G500 now. It's like your mouse, but with a heavy wheel that can be switched to spin freely. It's great for madly scrolling long Skype chats and such.

I guess the whole aesthetic thing is all subjective. I've always leaned towards very clean and simple looking things that "just work", and work well. For instance, I very much love the style of Apple products, but they're too damn expensive to be worth actually buying in most cases, haha.

If you had asked me a few years ago about wireless input devices, I'd probably be inclined to agree with you. My experience with my current keyboard, however, has been nothing but awesome. I originally bought it for my home theater PC, so I had it sitting on the inside of my foldout coffee table, which was several feet away from the TV / Computer. It worked great from across the room, and I never had a problem with lag or dropped inputs. Plus it's damn good for typing... so good in fact that I ended up buying a second one and replacing my wired desktop keyboard with it. Plus as I said it's got a rechargeable battery that lasts several months (which is impressive being that the keyboard's illuminated), and can be plugged into the computer using a micro-USB cable, so it's not like you can't use the keyboard while it's charging or anything.

Granted, I would never give up my wired Logitech MX518 mouse for a wireless alternative, but I'm certain good wireless options are out there.

Keyboard and mouse just came. I hooked them up to my mac, but not my Dell laptop yet. The mouse tracks like a drunken bellend on iceskates. Basically entirely useless. But my other dell mouse was the same on the mac, and very good on my Dell laptop, so I'm hoping this mouse will work better on my laptop. The keyboard works fine, but I haven't played doom with it yet.

I guess I should invest in a quality mouse that will work on both mac and PC. The thing is, I really really really don't want a fancy mouse. I want a real basic two button mouse with scroll wheel, but that WORKS REALLY WELL (ie, tracks flawlessly on any surface). I will be more patient this time before I buy--your expertise on the mouse department is very appreciated.

Mr. T said:

The perfect mouse

This is what I'm using now. It's overrated for gaming, honestly. The shape is very comfortable and the extra buttons are nice, but it isn't any more precise than those $12 Walmart Logitechs I mentioned (400DPI). I'm sure it was a godsend when optical mice all sucked. I prefer it to a "normal" gaming mouse because it's not utterly ridiculous looking. When I've got an extra $50 laying around I'll probably pick up a Deathadder just to try one; same shape, better DPI.

Also, maybe I just got a bad one, but the rubber on the side just isn't holding up. I've had it for about a year and a half now, and it's worn down to plastic under the buttons. I could only get a gray one, and there's bits of black showing through the gray paint, too.

I'd still recommend it. It's only $30.

tracking precision and "surface tolerance" are all I basically care about. Thanks for the input.

EDIT: Holy smokes, the dell mouse is lightning fast on my dell laptop. Totally awesome. I'd probably appreciate a higher resolution, but definitely got major bang for the buck. Very pleased with its performance. Lightning fast Doom editing is back!