Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schmerr

What do you listen to whilst Dooming?

GreyGhost said:

This - until the neighbors start complaining.

not sure why but this was one of the greatest things I've heard in a long time someone should make it the main menu music for their wad

Memfis said:

Soundtrack. If I don't like it, I might use idmus (02/08/18/25 in Doom2, 15/24/26/27 in Doom1) or load some music wad like mm2mus. In very rare cases I might listen to non-Doom music too. I think I played some surreal DoomHero map while listening to this.

I've been playing a lot of Doom 1 maps lately and find myself idmusing those tracks a lot as well (especially 24). I don't play Doom to anything but the soundtrack most of the time.

Way back in the day when I played Quake I played to The Mission soundtrack and it was absolutely awesomely perfect. Much better than whatever drivel came with the game.

To be fair, certain tracks were particularly fitting such as:

and

I waltz with imps ;-)

Actually, I don't usually listen to anything that's not the game soundtrack, and even that is most often turned down low. The sound fx are the important part for me...

A load of things: (in no particular order)

Led Zeppelin
Cream
Black Sabbath
Queens of the Stone Age
Eagles of Death Metal
Them Crooked Vultures
Red Fang
High On Fire
Motorhead
Tool
Primus
Acid Bath
Metallica (first three albums, black album)
Venom
Cannibal Corpse
Nile
Fleshgod Apocalypse
Dying Fetus
Cradle of Filth

The official soundtrack unless it's really bad, or the author didn't select a midi for it in which case I load up a music wad. While mapping or watching demos I listen to old school death metal.

I find anything that isn't the soundtrack or an alternate MIDI of my choosing to be excruciatingly annoying. Music is as important aspect of a wad as detail, in my mind. Try playing UAC Ultra after removing the music from the wad. The atmosphere is reduced by 80%, which IMO, is that wad's strongest aspect.

Woah, I misread the question, I thought is was what I`m listening to while MAPPING =)

I listen to the original soundtrack. If it sucks, then the WAD automatically loses points. The soundtrack is veeery important to me.

Try playing UAC Ultra after removing the music from the wad. The atmosphere is reduced by 80%, which IMO, is that wad's strongest aspect.

It's particulary funny looking up the original game those tracks came from on Youtube after playing UAC Ultra - it sounds wrong in that game, whereas it feels entirely at home in UAC Ultra.

Then there's that Jimmy track in Map10... Damn. I find myself opening up UAC Ultra just to IDCLEV to that map right away. The tune just makes you want to rush in and blast monsters, keep running and running into various environments, having an adventure, and the map layout perfectly delivers on that front. Likewise, I can't play the original PL2 map the midi was made for without feeling it's out of place there now.

75% of the time I listen to the actual in game music. Otherwise, old school Death and Black Metal really helps the hellish sprites and textures drip with demonic atmosphere. But sometimes I prefer something like J.S. Bach, which adds counterpoint to the images: beauty and slaughter! :) Weird electronic music works also: Tangerine Dream, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, and so on.

Bucket said:

The soundtrack.

same.

or when i making maps i heard the motherfraking Winamp on my computer...

Honestly, and this may get some boos, The Diablo I and II soundtracks, on shuffle, with Torchlight mixed in. Matt Uelmen is a genius! Also the Hell Raiser and Hell bound (Hell Raiser II) soundtracks. Christopher Young is also a genius! I highly recommend both!

if the music is costum i listen to it

but if it's using the doom music i listen to the origin of the soundtracks