Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

Here's a nice interview with Aubrey Hodges:
http://www.gamescares.com/main/index.php?Itemid=29&catid=23:interviews&id=445:aubrey-hodges-interview&option=com_content&view=article

The reason I'm posting it here is because the article contains a few samples of his work for Doom and Doom 64. You guys should check it out, it sends chills down your spine! If this what's in store for Doom 4, I'm a happy Doomer.

Its ironic how in my opinion, a soundtrack made for a console port has a more fitting mood for the game than the original game itself.

Sodaholic said:

This thread is full of the worst suggestions I've ever seen. It seems like everyone wants Doom 4 to be some insane and exaggerated version of what they perceive classic Doom as. "No reloading, player that runs 200 mph, slow and weak monsters, tons of heavy metal with no ambiance whatsoever, durr!" It's like they want Brutal Doom and Painkiller with the Doom logo on it or something. Doom also relies on atmosphere and ambiance, as well as exploration. While fast action and SOME heavy metal music are a part of it, it's not the only thing it does or should consist of.

This man speaks the truth.

When someone mentions release date for DOOM 4 I always go into my in-depth mode where I talk about all the positives of DOOM development and how it shouldn't be that long but it's id, that guess is not out of the question.

It still surprises me that it takes as long as it does. It's over 4 full years of development and they are STILL not talking about it. It's pretty crazy for something that will mostly be a run&gun shooter. Hell, the same goes for new Half-Life which has been in development for nearly 5 years (in a month) and nothing.

Just to give some examples, Dishonored (stealth game with Deus Ex-like multipath gameplay) took 3 years. New XCOM (a deep strategy / tactical game with many systems) took 3-4 years. BioShock went from Pre-Alpha to Gold in 9 months.

Anyway, based on QC12 I'd say they must have had a wake up call. For years their plan was to work on two games in parallel so that one comes out, they focus on the other one and start early work on a new one. That plan was still in motion a year ago when after finishing RAGE they moved its team to the DOOM team and aimed to have a small RAGE 2 team up. But this year it turned out that was not enough. They shut down mobile division and postponed early work on RAGE 2 because of DOOM 4. Carmack also admitted they have already made a lot of mistakes in prioritizing its development. After BFG Edition ships literally 100% of id will be focused on DOOM.

Bottom line is D4 is their only focus right now and the grand plan to have two games in development went awry so it's possible they were not expecting it to take this long.

DOOM 4 is going to be a lot like PS1 DOOM/DOOM 64/ meets DOOM PC. Of course there will be ambient music. But there will also be some rock/metal music in appropriate areas! Memorable tunes too.

Touchdown said:

When someone mentions release date for DOOM 4 I always go into my in-depth mode where I talk about all the positives of DOOM development and how it shouldn't be that long but it's id, that guess is not out of the question.

It still surprises me that it takes as long as it does. It's over 4 full years of development and they are STILL not talking about it. It's pretty crazy for something that will mostly be a run&gun shooter. Hell, the same goes for new Half-Life which has been in development for nearly 5 years (in a month) and nothing.

Just to give some examples, Dishonored (stealth game with Deus Ex-like multipath gameplay) took 3 years. New XCOM (a deep strategy / tactical game with many systems) took 3-4 years. BioShock went from Pre-Alpha to Gold in 9 months.

Anyway, based on QC12 I'd say they must have had a wake up call. For years their plan was to work on two games in parallel so that one comes out, they focus on the other one and start early work on a new one. That plan was still in motion a year ago when after finishing RAGE they moved its team to the DOOM team and aimed to have a small RAGE 2 team up. But this year it turned out that was not enough. They shut down mobile division and postponed early work on RAGE 2 because of DOOM 4. Carmack also admitted they have already made a lot of mistakes in prioritizing its development. After BFG Edition ships literally 100% of id will be focused on DOOM.

Bottom line is D4 is their only focus right now and the grand plan to have two games in development went awry so it's possible they were not expecting it to take this long.

My gut tells me that they threw a lot of stuff out of the window and restarted development sometime in 2010. Remember those leaked screenshots?Those may very well be from a very old build and not indicative of the final product. Hooper also said that it will be different from RAGE and those shots look a lot like RAGE.

It would be cool if a secret in D3 BFG contains 3 or 4 screenshots of Doom 4 :D.

I think it's unrealistic to expect DOOM 4 to look nothing like RAGE. Even if the art style is different it's still id Tech 5. And if it's set on Earth that will blur the line even more. With that said, all the street shots were very far from RAGE. Interior shots were very close to what interiors in RAGE look like, true. Then again if we're talking about interiors of destroyed buildings, well, they WILL look similiar, not much can be done with that. The only difference might be the amount of dust considering RAGE is set in time where Earth has been destroyed for years.

DooM_RO said:

It would be cool if a secret in D3 BFG contains 3 or 4 screenshots of Doom 4 :D.

If they're not willing to even talk about it in the press, they sure as hell aren't going to display art assets in a filler game's Easter eggs.

Whats the big deal with Doom 3 BFG edition anyway? To me it just sounds like one of those shitty "HD" remakes, with some bonus items attached to it. And yeah the classic Doom games come with it too, whoop dee fucking doo. Haven't we played every imaginable version of the old Doom games already? I know I did.

Agentbromsnor said:

Haven't we played every imaginable version of the old Doom games already? I know I did.

Yes, we have, but we're not the target audience. People outside of this community who haven't are.

Agentbromsnor said:

Whats the big deal with Doom 3 BFG edition anyway? To me it just sounds like one of those shitty "HD" remakes, with some bonus items attached to it. And yeah the classic Doom games come with it too, whoop dee fucking doo. Haven't we played every imaginable version of the old Doom games already? I know I did.

8 new levels and HMD support. Beyond that lots of nifty stuff from the RAGE engine like the input(which is very good), armor mounted flashlight and brightened up levels.

I am excited about it because we get more hell in Doom 3(which was sorely lacking) and the level design in these levels could be an indicator of what to expect from Doom 4 and what Id thinks Doom should be like in the 2010s. I've seen quite a few shots and vids of the BFG edition and I'm impressed, they remind me of classic doom a lot - one level even looks like it's from Quake 3.

Personally I wouldn't care if it wasn't for The Lost Mission. And, yep, it's clearly a way to grab attention of this majority (because it is a huge majority) who never played / cared for DOOM so that when they start media build-up for DOOM 4 everybody knows what's this all about.

Sodaholic said:

Yes, we have, but we're not the target audience. People outside of this community who haven't are.

If thats the case, I don't think anyone outside of this particular community is interested in playing an almost 20 year old game.

I guess its good that id tries to polish Doom 3, since I think vanilla Doom 3 hasn't aged well at all. I just think its stupid that they have to wring our wallets for it. A good update patch would suffice. Perhaps a console port with update for console people, but a full release? I fail to see the appeal.

idSoftware981 said:

DOOM 4 is going to be a lot like PS1 DOOM/DOOM 64/ meets DOOM PC.

You should make a beeping noise when you back up like that.

DoomUK said:

Haha. Besides, Doom 3 to me was kinda like a combination between the PC game and console if you think about it. It had all the weapons and sóme of the action of the original games, and a cinematic approach that is more common with console games.

idSoftware981 said:

DOOM 4 is going to be a lot like PS1 DOOM/DOOM 64/ meets DOOM PC. Of course there will be ambient music. But there will also be some rock/metal music in appropriate areas! Memorable tunes too.

You're really starting to remind me of Guy Pierce's character in "Memento", where about every 15 minutes he forgets EVERYTHING he said/did/experienced previously. I mean, you realize you've been saying this same thing for about the last 10-15 or whatever number of posts, right?

Or are you just trolling at this point?

DoomUK said:

Genuinely laughed out loud at that.

And let's face it, the monster designs of the classic doom would look, quite frankly, shit, no matter how well they're drawn in Doom 4. Because graphics today are so advanced that for monster designs, Red and Black really are the only colours you could get away with. I wouldn't be remotely threatened if a Demon turned up and it was still bright pink like the original. In fact I'd probably just laugh and think it was supposed to be a demonic equivalent of a Power Ranger.
The game should still have some threat and sense of fear, no matter how action-based it becomes.

idSoftware981 said:

You work at iDSoftware?

TB171 said:

You work at iDSoftware?

I think he's just become so obsessed with his fantasies and expectations for this game (a game that we, the public, know practically NOTHING about,) that he's beginning to confuse them with reality.

I am not mentally challenged.... I am perfectly normal. LONG LIVE HEAVY METAL, ROCK'N ROLL AND DOOM!

*starts to play Brutal DOOM with Pistol Mod and listening to Slayer Raining Blood*

IDGAF...id can have my money for D3: BFG. *throws $42.80 at id* ALL MINE!!!! *foams a beard at the mouth*

Also, Doom 64 was the shit, which is what Doom 4 should be.

I would really like to see first person fatalities for every monster. Remember that baron from the alpha video?That was so cool! Imagine if an imp burned you to a crisp or slashed you until all that is left of you is a pulpy mess. I would also LOVE to be able to dismember demons.

I'm not sure how modern games depict violence, since I'm not much of a player, but that dismemberment nonsense is something I'd really like not to see in Doom 4 or any other future Doom game.

If you want heavy violence and gore in a Doom game, you can play this.

Caffeine Freak said:

I think he's just become so obsessed with his fantasies and expectations for this game (a game that we, the public, know practically NOTHING about,) that he's beginning to confuse them with reality.

Exactly, besides if I were someone like iDsoftware981, I would drop all the high expectations because Bethesda/ID are basically neutering Doom 3 by making it easier. My expectations aren't very high, but I'll still by the damn thing :P

TB171 said:

Exactly, besides if I were someone like iDsoftware981, I would drop all the high expectations because Bethesda/ID are basically neutering Doom 3 by making it easier. My expectations aren't very high, but I'll still by the damn thing :P

I thought Doom 3 was already easy to begin with.

In my opinion, people are reacting to info they don't really have regarding id reducing Doom 3's difficulty. To my knowledge, they've only indicated they'll be brightening up the levels and upping ammo counts. I haven't read anything about them reducing monster numbers or making the monsters themselves easier, or tweaking difficulty in any other aspect of the game.

It seems as though this is divided...

Half of the people want a game that's like "AMERICA FUCK YEAH!" and it's like Painkiller + Brutal DOOM= DOOM 4. Which is absolutly not DOOM.

Other half want DOOM that's fast, but will scare the living daylights out of you and will be like DOOM 64 and DOOM PC...

I believe DOOM 4 needs a perfect mixture of the two...

Very fast paced thrash metal/heavy metal/death metal styled riffs when you are fighting HUGE amounts of enemies on screen or a boss.

Very slow paced, creepy-ass, Resident Evil 1 style, ambient music... which will scare you and you won't be able to go to bed style music on areas where there are very few enemies and it happens to be a dark gritty scary hellish level.

Reloading of course.

Maybe Iron Sights... but then again most people would say it's blasphemy.

Medkits we really need. I don't want to see strawberry jam on the screen, get told to get to cover and then automatically regenerate health... I want to be challenged by the game and be on a constant hunt for ammo and health.

I want a blend of survival-horror and fast paced action.

DOOM 4 should have a mixture of the PSX DOOM's atmosphere of feeling alone... and the PC DOOM's version of breathtaking graphics, and feeling like "I CAN DO THIS! OH SHIT I'M RUNNING LOW ON AMMO!" Just imagine you are playing DOOM 4... there are tons of demons and zombies to kill... you only have XXXXX amount of ammo. All the sudden heavy metal is playing. You feel pumped up and you feel like you can do it. But then you realize after it's over that you feel lonely and start to get scared because of the DOOM PS1 styled music and atmosphere.

One of the reasons I liked DOOM for the Playstation 1 is because they changed DOOM from a heavy metal space Conan music video... to a dark scary game. No offense. I actually like DOOM for the PC. It is the original and has memorable tunes.

I liked DOOM PC because some levels it had this badass heavy metal music playing.... another time it might have this more dark gothic sinister gritty scary-ass music playing that when an Imp popped up behind you... you would be all like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING?!"

That's what I want for DOOM 4... I would love to hear your thoughts on what DOOM 4 should be like. I also want to see if you agree or disagree with what I just said. And yes I have kind of went through a metamorphic transition into becoming more mature. I started out as a guy who was being a loud mouth guy who wanted Brutal DOOM with modern graphics... to a guy who just wants a DOOM that has atmosphere, scary music/good music, and very solid hardcore gameplay.

Not to mention I also want a good story this time around. No silly cliffhangers like RAGE... I want a very good story... id Software I know you can do what VALVE did with Half-Life 1.... I know you can.

In fact I love Black Mesa because it feels like a VALVE game and immerses you... I would go as far to say that Black Mesa in a way is kind of like DOOM 1. At least in terms of making you go "THE GRAPHICS ARE AWESOME!" and the whole atmosphere in general. I want games that immerse me in it. I want games that have a good soundtrack, good story, and good gameplay and won't leave me wanting more out of it.

That's one of the reasons I'm not so big with modern games. I mean I like modern games don't get me wrong. But they lack something... they lack content. I'm actually going to get DOOM 3 BFG Edition to see what id Software has done to our beloved DOOM franchise and to prep me for whatever they have in store for DOOM 4.

Thank you for your time of reading this. May Jesus Christ and God Bless You Always. Shalom!