Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

Doom the way it was "meant" to be played

What if there were a version of Chocolate Doom that used 24 bit RGB colormaps and removed all (mostly) unintended game quirks, while using the Roland SC-55 for music? Still 32 levels of colormaps (maybe more, like how the Jaguar version had more, IIRC), as if it had a hi-color mode. Also, use the 1.2 sfx pitch effects. Also, use the 3 monitor 270 degree view setup with no messages or status bar.

Would this be the "canon" "maximized" classic Doom setup?

Sodaholic said:

Would this be the "canon" "maximized" classic Doom setup?

What do you mean by "maximized"? Do you mean "how you could have played Doom in 1993 if you bought the right hardware"? Or do you mean something more enhanced than that - changes to the actual engine? It sounds like you mean the latter, but I"m not sure in what sense you think that would be a "maximized" Doom or how that would be any different to any of the many other source ports that have been created over the ages.

I guess playing the game at its max potential is what I mean, without taking any creative liberties such as adding decals or anything like what 'fancy' source ports do.

Sodaholic said:

What if there were a version of Chocolate Doom that used 24 bit RGB colormaps and removed all (mostly) unintended game quirks,

The sole reason Chocolate Doom exists is to emulate all of the quirks/bugs of the original game that were "fixed" (to the infinite annoyance of vanilla authors) in other ports.

Sodaholic said:

while using the Roland SC-55 for music?

Being standard MIDI hardware, all source ports (and all versions of vanilla) can already use it if you happen to own one.

Sodaholic said:

Still 32 levels of colormaps (maybe more, like how the Jaguar version had more, IIRC), as if it had a hi-color mode. Also, use the 1.2 sfx pitch effects. Also, use the 3 monitor 270 degree view setup with no messages or status bar.

I second that. 3-monitor mode was just awesome. Why'd they drop it? More importantly, are there any modern ports which support it?

Foxpup said:

The sole reason Chocolate Doom exists is to emulate all of the quirks/bugs of the original game that were "fixed" (to the infinite annoyance of vanilla authors) in other ports.

VPO4EVAH

Foxpup said:

I second that. 3-monitor mode was just awesome. Why'd they drop it? More importantly, are there any modern ports which support it?

It was heavily tied to the netcode. Which was entirely rewritten early on so as not to keep creating broadcast packet meltdowns. The feature died during that rewrite.

It was reimplemented in Chocolate Doom.

Sodaholic said:

Also, use the 1.2 sfx pitch effects.

Is there a noticeable difference? I just played Doom 1.2 yesterday in dosbox and couldn't really tell. Then again, my only point of reference is chocolate-doom with 1.9 IWAD.

Gez said:

It was heavily tied to the netcode. Which was entirely rewritten early on so as not to keep creating broadcast packet meltdowns. The feature died during that rewrite.

Well, sort of. The network code was rewritten to factor it out into the separate sersetup.exe / ipxsetup.exe external "driver" programs (earlier versions of doom.exe had all the networking built in). The broadcast packet fix appeared in the same version (1.2) but the two don't really seem to be related.

The crucial thing to note is that the three screen stuff doesn't seem to have been deliberately dropped. It just broke and either nobody noticed or nobody cared enough to bother to fix it.