Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DOOMSLAYER

Im new and dont know what to do!!

Ok guys, Im new to building doom levels. I have Doom Builder 2 and dont know how to use it. I can pull up doom 2 on it but short of that im lost. Here is a few questions. Sorry if they are terrible and retared.

Question One: How do you start editing a level? I have pulled up the level layout but dont know how to change it.

Question two: Does making levels take up a lot of space if you are working on a laptop?

Question Three: Im using doom 2 to mess with and create, can you start from blank slate?

Thanks for taking the time to help out. Break it down like you would be explaining it to a child. Im not very "hip" to this just yet.

Question 1: Don't. make your own levels instead

Question 2: a single level should only be a couple of hundred kilobytes

Question 3: Top left, there should be a 'New' icon. Click it

Just start by drawing squares, then expand to the more advanced stuff.

Eris Falling said:

Question 2: a single level should only be a couple of hundred kilobytes

Question 3: Top left, there should be a 'New' icon. Click it

Just start by drawing squares, then expand to the more advanced stuff.

Thanks, on number 3 I did do that but when I draw out squares they dont stick. How do you draw them out and edit them?

This guy makes the best tutorials for beginners. WATCH THE WHOLE VIDEO before you ask more questions because he answers most of them in this video.

Krispy said:

This guy makes the best tutorials for beginners. WATCH THE WHOLE VIDEO before you ask more questions because he answers most of them in this video.

Thanks friend, awesome! Thats a big help! Didnt even think about checking youtube.

Eris Falling said:

My first map was an edit of someone else's. It started with, "this room would look cooler with windows" so I had to figure out how to do that simple task. Didn't release it for obvious reasons, but it was critical for my learning process to *not* start from scratch.

Ah you see my first released map was also the first thing I made in DB2, and is now in an upcoming megawad.
Now admittedly because of the megawad's aims, I had a few guidelines to work with, and it's first release didn't go down very well. However, the people gave good criticism, and eventually, the level became something pretty decent (if I do say so myself)

So there are lots of ways of starting mapping, that was one of them, yours was another. Both work.

Actually I wouldn't hesitate messing around with other levels if it helps you get the hang of how to work with the editor. That's pretty much how I learned what I know; through example and lots of trial and error. Just don't edit your iwad (or make a copy of it for experimenting purposes only) and definitely don't upload and post altered iwad maps either.

Keep at it and it will eventually come to you :). Doom mapping is a lot of fun once you get the basics down. There are lots of experienced mappers and modders in the community, so don't hesitate to ask any questions! Good luck and have fun :D

Ok, before I through my laptop out the fucking window how do you put custom music into doom builder. I already did making a new level, BUT when working on pre existing map 1 for doom 2 it will only play the shitty original music! I have wads for metal and doom 64 music but they wont save when I try and play it. WTF!

ComicMischief said:

Calm down. That's not done in Doom Builder, but another tool such as SLADE.

Sorry, been at it for hours. Slade site is down or something, wont load.

DOOMSLAYER said:

Sorry, been at it for hours. Slade site is down or something, wont load.

So it seems. Although you don't have to be so impatient, just wait until it's up.

When you get the tool, the simplest way is to find a midi (or other audio filetype, this depends on your choice of source port) and insert it as a lump named "D_RUNNIN" and that will replace Doom 2's original MAP01 music.

In the meantime, I know ZDoom has a code you can use, IDMUSxx where 'xx' is the level's music that will be played instead. For example, to hear MAP03's music (and who doesn't wanna hear that, huh?) type IDMUS03 as if you were cheating.

You can get SLADE 3 from here too, which is useful when Mancubus.net is down. (Which unfortunately is quite frequent these days...)

To replace music in a map, you have two broad options. The first is to simply name your music the same as the music that plays in that map.

For Doom II, the names are those:
MAP01 d_runnin
MAP02 d_stalks
MAP03 d_countd
MAP04 d_betwee
MAP05 d_doom
MAP06 d_the_da
MAP07 d_shawn
MAP08 d_ddtblu
MAP09 d_in_cit
MAP10 d_dead
MAP11 d_stlks2
MAP12 d_theda2
MAP13 d_doom2
MAP14 d_ddtbl2
MAP15 d_runni2
MAP16 d_dead2
MAP17 d_stlks3
MAP18 d_romero
MAP19 d_shawn2
MAP20 d_messag
MAP21 d_count2
MAP22 d_ddtbl3
MAP24 d_theda3
MAP25 d_adrian
MAP26 d_messg2
MAP27 d_romer2
MAP28 d_tense
MAP29 d_shawn3
MAP30 d_openin
MAP31 d_evil
MAP32 d_ultima
Title music d_dm2ttl
Intermission music (stats screen) d_dm2int
Intermission music (text screen) d_read_m
Endgame music (cast call) d_evil (same as MAP31)

The other option is to change the level's properties with a MAPINFO lump. Then you can give it the name you want; but it'll only work in source ports that support MAPINFO.

Another possibility is to use MUSINFO and music changer things in your map; but again, that limits to a few source ports that support such a feature.

(Links provided to the ZDoom wiki. The general Doom wiki is hosted by Mancubus.net and likewise down at the moment.)

ComicMischief said:

In the meantime, I know ZDoom has a code you can use, IDMUSxx where 'xx' is the level's music that will be played instead. For example, to hear MAP03's music (and who doesn't wanna hear that, huh?) type IDMUS03 as if you were cheating.

That's not ZDoom specific to ZDoom; this cheat code is present in the original Doom exe as well.

However, what ZDoom has is a console command, changemus, which can be used to change to any sort of music lump. For example, you can type changemus d_read_m in the console, and you'll get the text screen music, which is not possible via idmus.

Gez said:

That's not ZDoom specific to ZDoom; this cheat code is present in the original Doom exe as well.

I had no idea. I only found out about this recently, and assumed it was a new thing. Learn something new every day. :)

Gez said:

You can get SLADE 3 from here too, which is useful when Mancubus.net is down. (Which unfortunately is quite frequent these days...)

To replace music in a map, you have two broad options. The first is to simply name your music the same as the music that plays in that map.

For Doom II, the names are those:
MAP01 d_runnin
MAP02 d_stalks
MAP03 d_countd
MAP04 d_betwee
MAP05 d_doom
MAP06 d_the_da
MAP07 d_shawn
MAP08 d_ddtblu
MAP09 d_in_cit
MAP10 d_dead
MAP11 d_stlks2
MAP12 d_theda2
MAP13 d_doom2
MAP14 d_ddtbl2
MAP15 d_runni2
MAP16 d_dead2
MAP17 d_stlks3
MAP18 d_romero
MAP19 d_shawn2
MAP20 d_messag
MAP21 d_count2
MAP22 d_ddtbl3
MAP24 d_theda3
MAP25 d_adrian
MAP26 d_messg2
MAP27 d_romer2
MAP28 d_tense
MAP29 d_shawn3
MAP30 d_openin
MAP31 d_evil
MAP32 d_ultima
Title music d_dm2ttl
Intermission music (stats screen) d_dm2int
Intermission music (text screen) d_read_m
Endgame music (cast call) d_evil (same as MAP31)

The other option is to change the level's properties with a MAPINFO lump. Then you can give it the name you want; but it'll only work in source ports that support MAPINFO.

Another possibility is to use MUSINFO and music changer things in your map; but again, that limits to a few source ports that support such a feature.

(Links provided to the ZDoom wiki. The general Doom wiki is hosted by Mancubus.net and likewise down at the moment.)

However, what ZDoom has is a console command, changemus, which can be used to change to any sort of music lump. For example, you can type changemus d_read_m in the console, and you'll get the text screen music, which is not possible via idmus.

Thanks friend, I had to leave for work but will try when I get back to my laptop.

Downloaded Slade. It is just a blank sheet of paper as a desktop item. How do I open it?

**update, levels are coming along nicely. 2 almost done, getting used to this doom builder. Tho, need to figure out the music. How do you make a music wad? To go along with skull tag?