Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

The Psy Gangnam Style Phenonemon

That song has gotten quite popular, I actually like it myself. The dance he does in the music video is pretty funny.

Yeah, I saw it before all the hullabaloo. I quite enjoy it. But I'm surprised at how massive it has become. It's really everywhere now.

The music is overproduced tripe (so tired of highly compressed bass drums and snares). The video has its moments, though.

The music is exactly what it is meant to be - an infectious good quality pop song (with all that entails - nothing more, nothing less). Then it's backed up by the comedy and quirkiness value of Psy, the dance and the video. It has all the hallmarks of a very successful one-off novelty hit that will make Psy a lot of money. And I've got to hand it to him, he is playing the industry at their own game and he's winning (and so, of course, is the industry - they never loose). Even so, I don't think anyone could have predicted the world-wide phenomenon that it has become.

Anyone who gets het-up about the musical importance of the song is missing the point entirely.

Seriously, why is this shit so INCREDIBLY popular? WHY?! Sure, maybe it's an entertaining song and all, but 10 MILLION views a day?! This only has like 300 views after 4 months and it's catchy as hell!

Eris Falling said:

Proud to say I'm not one of the 10 million.

This statement makes you lame.

Eris Falling said:

Proud to say I'm not one of the 10 million.

I think we both know you can't resist the urge to GANGNAM STYLE. :p

The view count is not too surprising. I'm sure this song is let through the filters in China. I imagine the country tries to build it's own popular culture and not allowing all of it to be monopolized by the west. Much in the same vain as Russia's failed attempts when music broadcasts made it over the iron curtain.

Tarnsman said:

It's South Korean

When did he say it came from China?

It does boggle my mind how it gained so much popularity. Then again I only found out about it after seeing a clip of Psy on Ellen DeGeneres with Simon Cowell saying how fantastic the guy was. Two weeks later, its #4 in the iHeartRadio top song playlist.

Kirby said:

When did he say it came from China?

I went full retard and thought he was talking about music slipping OUT of China.

This has been much more civil than the usual "Hay guise anybody see this new meme?" thread we have here.

I only heard this song once while in a Gmod 13 beta server about a week ago and didn't realize what song it was til Hellbent posted this up.

It's a terrible song, basically devoid of music. The fact it's so popular speaks to what people really want to hear: beats to dance to.

The parodies, on the other hand, are fucking hilarious. From now on, when people sing this, I'm going to counter with Kim Jong Style. :D

Carnevil said:

Seriously, why is this shit so INCREDIBLY popular? WHY?!

You could ask why a great deal of things on the internet are popular, if you stopped and thought about it. I wouldn't advise you did that though.

Aliotroph? said:

It's a terrible song, basically devoid of music. The fact it's so popular speaks to what people really want to hear: beats to dance to.

Isn't this the main reason that we make music to begin with?

Ralphis said:

Isn't this the main reason that we make music to begin with?

Isn't this kind of idea exactly what this song is supposed to make fun of? The whole "party all the time", bling-bling fantasy?

Who is "we", anyway? As a reason to make music, beats to dance to is the lowest common denominator you can find. I'd wager people who do that are a minority among musicians.

Of course, most musicians never make enough to turn music into anything else than a hobby (if they even try to sell their music at all), whereas pop songs rake in billions. So if you just look at the money or assume what goes on TV is an accurate representation of music as a whole, you could believe what you said, but come on now.

Ralphis, you made gold (already wrote on youtube... but i don't care, is fantastic...), however isn't a so bad song (but probably is because the brainwashing doing from media already did his job with high success...) for my personal shitty taste...

And nothing, video of this song and dance are filling DeviantArt and MMD Videos like a cancer (well, like almost anything done with that program....)