Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ella guro

Doom 2 in name only (tentative title)

Eregore said:

without a BFG it is practically impossible to kill him...

The player will still have a Plasma Rifle though.

Nice screenshots, I will be interested to see how this level turns out, from what I've seen in from the download link in OP, the level is very good so far.

By the way, to hide spoiler stuff just replace 'Here' with 'Spoiler'

[Here]Spoiler Stuff[/Here]

Map15 did exceed Drawsegs when looking from one end of the main street to the other, but the resulting HOM was very thin and very distant, besides, Visplane is the most important and now matter how hard I searched, i couldn't find anywhere that broke it.

I gotta try this map again on UV without cheating...

EDIT: Thought I was doing amazingly well, died just after picking up blue key, Killcount 130

DOUBLE EDIT: I love how my WAD is smallest size (146KB) :3 and that the 2 city maps are by far the largest (around 750KB each)

Map07 V3.3.5 here

Changes

Shortcut of killing an un-caged arachnotron at the end, running on to it's plinth, then triggering the pyramid from there has now been removed. Plinths set to impassable.

Eris Falling said:

Map07 V3.3.5 here

Changes

Shortcut of killing an un-caged arachnotron at the end, running on to it's plinth, then triggering the pyramid from there has now been removed. Plinths set to impassable.

Stair tutti.

Ahh wondered what that was. I thought it looked kinda cool myself

Given that all the stairs are the same height, not entirely sure how I should fix it.

_bruce_ said:

Updated my Map02 entry - version .003.
Minor gameplay + minor cosmetic change.

[IMAGE]

That area looks pretty cool.

Decent level Bruce. I got bored with the mono-texturing, tho. That, combined with level design motif consistency results in a rather repetitive experience. But the level itself is very well designed with some really interesting architecture. It's just that the overall experience was a little drab.

Image from _bruce_'s map:

A very rough draft of D2INO's DoomWiki page is in progress in a notepad document. I can get that up when the megawad is released.

Mm, definitely needs some different textures, I can't really comment on anything else with that.

@Hellbent - thx for your vid.

Always great to see someone else walking the map and checking the pace. There are some things here and there that need to be changed concerning gameplay. Though overall I'm more of a cruise mode player which my maps reflect.
As for the textures - in "contractor" mode I'm always using the absolute minimum amount of artwork concept wise. Suggestions highly welcome.
Design/architecture - I'm pretty sensitive to shapes so I work in a nature grows shapes mode which I refine as I go along. I often just check a map to see what it looks like in the automap - it's a game with myself ^^

@Eris - changing the lower pegging will solve your tutti.

Well I'd like to say V3.3.6 is here, with tutti fixed (thanks bruce!) and Hell having a different elevator. Unfortunately, the tag 667 isn't working in chocorenderlimits..there's always something with this map -.-

EDIT Yeahh so...

Vanilla: It doesn't raise high enough, so I raised the platform
ZDoom: It goes too high because I raised it.

Level 11: Destruct, the remake of O' of Destruction is in its final phase! Right now all that is left is balancing the game play, adding a few last items and monsters, and creating the skill levels. I am aiming to have the beta released within the week!

Days: 13
Hours: 84
Structure: 99%
Actions: 99%
Texture/Lighting: 99%
Items/Monsters: 65%
Total: 90%

Here are some action shots:

Just checking in people... how's progress going on unfinished maps? How many haven't started their maps yet? There hasn't been much action here for a while.

I am slowly, continuously working on my map. Most of the areas are unfinished / I'm not satisfied with them, anyway here are screenshots:

(as you can see, the city sky doesn't fit there at all, but that's something I cannot do anything with)

glenzinho said:

Just checking in people... how's progress going on unfinished maps? How many haven't started their maps yet? There hasn't been much action here for a while.

I'm stumped by tag 667 in Vanilla.

I have, many times.

Vanilla it doesn't raise high enough, and ZDoom it raises just right, however if I raise it to be high enough in Vanilla, it goes too high in ZDoom.

scifista42 said:

as you can see, the city sky doesn't fit there at all, but that's something I cannot do anything with

I think it's looking good there... your Citadel could be part of an older, original part of the city, hence the paving rocks & stones. A bunch of real life cities still have areas like these in them somewhere, amongst the newer modern architecture. Just stretch your imagination a bit! ;)

Eris Falling said:

I have, many times.

Vanilla it doesn't raise high enough, and ZDoom it raises just right, however if I raise it to be high enough in Vanilla, it goes too high in ZDoom.

How tall is the lower texture? How high is it raising? If it raises too high in ZDoom but works in vanilla, that's a ZDoom problem.

_bruce_ said:

Updated 'Map02' in regards to texture monotony.
Subtle and still minimalistic.

I think you've nailed it now, _bruce_! Just one thing you've missed:

Your switch after the yellow key to lower the lift back to the starting area is now misaligned.
The map is looking great now!

Dragonsbrethren said:

How tall is the lower texture? How high is it raising? If it raises too high in ZDoom but works in vanilla, that's a ZDoom problem.

667 Sector Floor: -136
Neighbouring Sector Floor: -32

Texture Height: 104

That setup allows it to raise high enough in ZDoom. I raised the 667 sector to around -96 (thinking it was something to do with going under -128) and it went too high.

Also, this tutti, which couldn't be fixed by lower unpegging.

I think it will be a while before I return to Vanilla mapping.

Eris Falling: I took a quick look at your map (*v3.3.5) and found that your problems are easy to solve:

-the tutti effect:

You have non-zero Y offset on that texture, so lower unpegging cannot help. Change the offset to 0, or change the texture of the lowest step.
EDIT: Oh, I was talking about another tutti-frutti (on the step outside). The exit sign will, unfortunately, cannot tile properly in vanilla, because it's height is 16 and you are trying to make it 32 high.

-the 667 tag: I have no idea why it doesn't work right in vanilla, but all you need to do is:

1. Set the floor height of the tagged sector to -80.
2. Set the back lower texture of the inner linedefs to "DOOR1" (or another 72 units high texture). By "inner linedefs" I mean those that are closer to the pyramid's center. The texture won't be visible in game, but it will have an effect to the 667 tag behaviour. Then it should work in all ports.

I had to make the 667 sector very thin (4 units), because the textures were visible, and raise to -72 because it didn't quite raise high enough in Vanilla. But anyway...

MAP07 V3.3.6

Changes: Lift to Hell is now hellish.
Other two lifts now matching textures and lights.
Arachnotrons unstuck
Removed 3 tutti-frutti effects (moved the exit signs)
Working Tag 667 although you will have to run at the pyramid in ZDoom, though you would anyway I suppose

Known bugs: A visplane overflow does exist in the northern (subterranean) walkway. However, it's extremely hard to trigger, even deliberately (it's like 4 pixels in DB2).

Huge thanks to scifista42 and _bruce_!