Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Progressive Fiction (Hadephobia now on /idgames)

@Cell: Thanks for clarification. I will just refer to Scythe in the credits. It's probably the closest we will get.

@Vaporizer: I have PM'd you the latest version of the .wad. If any other progfic mappers need the same to update their maps pre-beta just let me know.

@grouchbag: Welcome aboard! Are you comfortable playtesting in UV?

Here it comes!

Hadephobia Beta 1

Please read the caveats text file. Any comments, suggestions or bug reports can be posted here or PM'd to me if you prefer.

Progfic authors should know that MAP01 - MAP07 + MAP09 & MAP10 have all been tuned up by Pottus. Changes are purely tasteful, subtle, aesthetic tweaks. The reason MAP08 is missed is because Vaporizer posted a last minute new version of this map.

Release date is 22nd October 2012. I'd love this playtested, polished and primed in a couple of weeks then the last graphics, demos and pars can be done... but let's see how we get on :-)

All right: I've played MAP01-04 on HMP both continuously (with secrets) and with pistol start (without secrets) and all I can say is that the maps are very good. It's fun having maps that don't have 100+ monsters at the start of a WAD. This WAD is so much fun:

Small nitpicks:
MAP01: In the room with four medikits, I'd change at least one to a stimpack.

MAP02: A small decrease in health. Remove a stimpack or two.

MAP03: You could add a couple more demons to the teleport ambush.

MAP04: The invulnerability could be changed to a berserk or soulsphere and you might add another cacodemon at the end.

Overall: These nitpicks are really minor and this is deserving of a Cacoward.

Thanks for the report so far Cacatou and I'm pleased you enjoy it.

Your suggestions are all valid and I'll keep your notes to implement later along with any other fixes suggested. The only one I'm hesitant to change is the invulnerbility sphere as I like it being there for speed runs.

EDIT: A link to the beta 1 download has been added to the second post of the thread.

map01-07 FDAs.

Some comments...
map01: floating health potion
map02: when you pick up the red key you can hear two doors opening, allowing the chaingunners to teleport. Perhaps the player shouldn't hear this technical stuff?
map03: weird dark bar, not sure what causes it.
map04: very obvious copy-paste in the cave...
map07: this green armor is hard to avoid. What if you don't need it? I accidentally picked it up when I had 99%.

map05 is a bit ugly for me (not a big fan of pink skin textures) and map06 is too cramped and linear. The rest was nice.

map08-13 FDAs.

map09: thing 232 shouldn't be blocking. / If you press on linedef 1468 and then on linedef 1461, you'll hear a very loud sound (because seven of the affected sectors will not move). Maybe make the lift have a different tag? (you'll probably need a voodoo doll "script" here)
map12: same deal as on map02 - you pick up the red key and hear some floors moving. The player shouldn't be aware of dummy sectors and stuff like that. / Picking up the berserk can't be avoided, is that OK?
map13: VERY tight ammo balance before the cyberdemon fight. Consider adding a little more bullets/shells. / I don't like how there is more than one line that closes the blue bars at the start. If you run around, you can hear the closing door sound more than once. Not cool. :)

I enjoyed all these maps with the exception of map10, which was a little overcrowded for my taste. Great music though.

Played through Episode 1 just there now. Really enjoying this, a proper old-school blast with some nice ideas so far. Keep up the good work!

Just one minor niggle:

Spoiler

You forgot to credit the Keen replacement ;)

Memfis said:

They were fun to watch, glad you had fun on the whole. Your comments have been noted to be looked into for the next beta too. I'm looking forward to watching your next bunch.

grouchbag said:

Enjoyed it very much! Continue the great work!

The most concise playtest report of all time!

scalliano said:

Played through Episode 1 just there now. Really enjoying this, a proper old-school blast with some nice ideas so far. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, that's encouraging to hear. Sorry about the niggle, I did think about this before releasing the beta but it got lost amongst all the other last minute things. It will be there for beta 2.

@Vaporizer: Thanks, it's on my bug list.

@PRIMEVAL: Great! I will listen to this tonight.

Ive played uptill map08, im quite liking it so far. Cool transitions between maps and i like reading the story with it, map05 was ugly and mediocre and map08 wasnt that hot but the rest were really cool. Bit too easy for my taste but thats not too bad :)

One problem with the story is that if you read map's story before playing, you know what will happen. Maybe story.txt should be more like this:

map01:
description of the first half of map01
map02:
description of the second half of map01 and of the first half of map02
and so on...

Memfis said:

One problem with the story is that if you read map's story before playing, you know what will happen. Maybe story.txt should be more like this:

map01:
description of the first half of map01
map02:
description of the second half of map01 and of the first half of map02
and so on...

Hmm, you could be right but I don't really want to break the structure as (mostly) each author has written their own story to accompany the map. Anyone who thinks they're spoiling the story could read the map's story after playing each map instead of before.

I might re-think this if there's a consensus of opinion.

Memfis said:

I don't like how there is more than one line that closes the blue bars at the start. If you run around, you can hear the closing door sound more than once. Not cool. :)

Can you place only one linedef to close them bars in any cases you move away from starting point? Nevertheless... *reconsiders* I suppose I should've made them be already closed.

map14-16,31 FDAs

map14: pic - Sudden STARBR2 appearance? :P By the way I've seen similar thing on MAP04. / Maybe add "block monster" flag to linedef 2338 to avoid this?
map15: unclosed sector or big slime trail
map31: what's up with that part when you jump down and appear in a cramped room with 2 arch-viles? I was very very very lucky to survive in there.

Very fun maps, especially 16, GJ Walter. :)

All right.

MAP11 is way too easy from a pistol start. I would suggest replacing the energy cell pack with two energy cells so it takes a while to kill the mastermind.

MAP10 was awesome and really fun but the jumping puzzle with the yellow key was annoying.

MAP07
I would suggest removing the secret on that tree area

MAP06
Two Arch-Viles don't teleport in.

MAP05
I would remove a few of the lost souls because they're just a pain and add a cacodemon or two instead. The SSG could be held back till later as well.

The levels are still really good. MAP08 was a bit short.

Memfis said:

Watched these, good fun. I think a PR would have been useful to get through all those enemies faster in MAP10 - I'm sure there's one in a secret somewhere but that wouldn't have helped the start. I might put the PR back in on MAP11 UV and tweak ammo so it's more tempting to kill the Spiderdemon as you don't stand much of a chance with the RL. Moving the PR forward before the baron or making the RL non-secret would go some way to solving the ammo trouble in MAP13 too.

Your other notes will be added to my list - as will yours Cacatou. Thanks guys.

Just posting to let you guys know (and remind myself) that I still owe a track to this project - for MAP30, I believe.

What timeframe are we operating within? The project looks mostly complete already, bar any major bugfixes. How many more betas will we see?

Jimmy91 said:

Just posting to let you guys know (and remind myself) that I still owe a track to this project - for MAP30, I believe.

What timeframe are we operating within? The project looks mostly complete already, bar any major bugfixes. How many more betas will we see?

I'm not sure you do. I thought MAP32 was the last track you were committed to?

That said, I don't want to discourage you if you want to make more awesome music! The release date is October 22nd unless something major prevents this.

I don't know how many betas there will be. At least another because there's stuff to fix. I don't plan on releasing beta 2 until playtesting on beta 1 is completed and bugs fixed. If no further bugs are found in beta 2 it will be done.

MAP30 is a little up in the air. It was allocated to Grain of Salt but she wasn't finished in time for beta 1. A.Gamma is reserve mapper and his MAP30 is currently in beta 1 and is looking increasingly likely to get the go ahead. For complexity I also made a reserve-reserve MAP30, which is MAP34 in beta 1. So, it's probably best leaving the music for this map until it's decided who gets the slot. I hadn't decided on a cut-off for GoS but I'll say beta 2 is the latest I could feasibly leave it.

Maybe one of the other mappers will want new music though? There's quite a lot stock Doom/Doom II/TNT music or tracks ripped from other games still in there.

In MAP08 there's a misaligned texture inside the red door room.

In MAP10 in the secret with the plasma rifle a few of the teleporting monsters get stuck.

In MAP11 maybe add a baron at the end before the exit.

In MAP12 a death slide is possible which I would leave in personally.

In MAP13 add some more ammo before the red key room.

In MAP14 I would suggest adding some monsters to the exit room.

In MAP21 I would suggest removing some lost souls in the altar room for demons or imps.

Also on a source port issue MAP15 has a big HOM in the Mastermind area in GZDoom.

@Cacatou: Thanks for those notes (and the pm) I will update my bug list. I'm pleased that this far in there's not been many critical faults found.

@Memfis: I forgot to say that I watched your MAP14-16, 31 FDA's and made notes of your comments. It's been very useful watching these. I don't remember having the same trouble as you with those AVs on MAP31 when I playtested so I'm guessing there's a safer route to the same place. I will look into it.

In MAP 32, if you strafe-50 against the current you can get stuck by trying to re-enter the first area after teleporting out of it. I would suggest lowering a wall ahead of the end of the first teleporter after you enter the first area.

Well it's been a while. I've played all the maps except 2 and this is a brilliant WAD. I've only got one complaint which is that MAP28 can be frustrating. If you remove a couple of revenants that'd fix the problem on HMP cause it feels like UV.

Small thing, could you change my name credits from TrueDude to Death Egg, since I've changed my username? Also, good to know the project's getting closer to completion.