Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arttu98

What did scare you on doom when you were little?

I was originally going to say I was too old by the time I first played Doom to really be afraid of anything, but then I remembered I used to hate cacodemons. They just freaked me out for some reason, to the point I changed my Doom95 shortcut's icon. Looking back, I don't really understand why.

I used to dread going into the flashing room near the end of E1M5 and stepping on the step in E1M8 that releases the barons.

The part in map 11 of doom 2 where the archvile pops out. I think its by the blue key. But archviles in general used to just scare the shit out of me, because as a kid, i didnt know the attack could be dodged by hiding.

That first Zombieman in E1M1 >.>

This was on SNES Doom, so the music felt more ominous and darker to me which didn't help.

E1M4 maze part with the scattered demons and imps.

Another thing that really scared me was the vertical crushers in Winnowing Hall. It scared so much that I remember calling my mother to help me pass them.(when i was really young, yea?)

Always hated the flashing room in e1m5 and didn't care for the maze in e1m2. I've never liked mazes or extended areas of narrow corridors.

Probably the Mancubi in MAP07. I originally thought that they fired rockets as well. I also playing E1M4 in the shareware version at school. I was in the maze section of the map and the computer didn't have speakers. I turned around and a demon was eating my face! Gave me a decent fright.

In terms of monsters On PSX Doom, E1M8 - Barons
Tower of Babel - Cyberdemon

Pissed my pants when i first encountered them and the PSX music/sound just made it all the more scary.
The dark lighting on E1M2 in the maze, E1M3 with the yellow key and the E1M4 maze always put me on edge too.

I actually don't remember being genuinenly frightened in id Doom games (surprised by traps sometimes, sure).

However, years later when I should have been even less prone to being scared, Doom64 brought me to my knees. On my friend's big TV and surround system at night.. it had this paralyzing effect where I wouldn't be able to proceed out of fear ;-P

oh and that Aliens TC was terrifying when it came out, but it hasn't aged well IMO.

The sound of the doomguy dying used to terrify me like you wouldn't believe. On top of that, the chainsaw gave me a scare when I was 4 for some reason. There were a few other things that bothered me, but not like the doomguy dying noise.

Bashe said:

The sound of the doomguy dying used to terrify me like you wouldn't believe. On top of that, the chainsaw gave me a scare when I was 4 for some reason. There were a few other things that bothered me, but not like the doomguy dying noise.

You mean the scream when he takes heaps of damage? I still hate that.

The barons on E1M8. (And the one hidden in the dark wooden area of E2M6)

The dark flashing area at the end of E1M5.

My first encounter with a cyberdemon on E2M8. Hearing those heavy pounding footsteps the moment I arrived on that level. *shudder*

Vorpal said:

oh and that Aliens TC was terrifying when it came out, but it hasn't aged well IMO.

This.

I was probably frightened by just about everything in Doom at one point. Imps. Textures. Soulspheres. Torches. Torches scared me...
But of the moments that stick out in my mind, the demon maze in e1m4 has to top the bill. I could rarely muster the courage to enter those twisted corridors of terror, and when I finally did, my co-ordination and ability to flee from the horrendous monster would fail me, and I would be snarled to death in moments. Sign of Evil also made me shrink with fear, as did the accompanying map's long corridor that leads to the baron's podium... it's the stuff on nightmares for a kid, really. And I remember them with dark fondness!

I think I was at that age where my skills were not enough to take me much beyond e1, and so all of my terrifying moments are bundled neatly into those 9 maps. The cacodemon, lost soul, mastermind, and (to a lesser extent) cyberdemon never achieved the same degree of fear, although the barons certainly did as returning monsters in e2m3 and 4. Especially the latter.

Doom 2 map05 and 06 scared me considerably, and I have absolutely no nostalgic recollection of anything past map07. Supported by cattle-branding grade memories of bronze textures, glowing lamps and Between Levels, my theory is that I was so frightened by these maps that I remained content simply to wander the hallways of maps01 - 04 until my time with Doom 2 had come to an end. Well, for the next 10 years at least.

Nothing. I actually remember being surprised when my younger brother (who was 3 or 4 at the time) got nightmares from seeing it be played.

My quote from an older and kind of similar thread I made which is a valid answer for this thread also.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=872044#post872044

Avoozl said:

Well I would say the map which creeped me out on first impression was the courtyards, the music along with the staring red eyes on the goat reliefs got to me. I felt a little scared but I was quite young then and it didn't affect me anymore after.

Nothing scared me as such, but I was uneasy about venturing into the dark 'maze' in E1M4. The pulsing light section at the end of E1M5 was another area I would get edgy in. I was once again all too wary of both of these bits when I played PSX Doom after.

The end of E1M6 where the walls open and dozens of enemies just pour out also had me on the edge of my seat; I really wasn't expecting that at all.

And of course, there was E1M8's ending, which confused the fuck out of me and had me mashing the keyboard in some futile attempt to survive.

A lot of my first experience with doom had to do with me playing it with god mode on. Knowing I couldn't die after the first few playthroughs coaxed me into trying out harder skill levels. Playing E4M1 on nightmare mode and desperately typing and retyping IDDQD and yielding no results, I reluctantly marched onwards.

My HUD showing doom guy's suspicious eyes leering side to side, oblivious to the fate bestowed before him. In three steps, one two three; the minions of hell beneath swarm the outpost in a whirlwind of green teleport fog, illumninating the orange clouds above along with the flares of their shotgun blasts.The doom guy grits his teeth, bellowing a chain of intense screams, followed by gasping for any breath he can respirate, unsure which will be his last. He withstands the brutal storm of shotgun shrapnel perforating his bare skin wave after wave. His vision flashes red as the agony in those delicate eyes is extinguished in his own blood. The doom guy I had once saw myself in crumbled before me.

The doom guy and I shared some common traits. Our determination for destroying hell showed in our expressionless faces. We were both men of few words, we even both had our short brown hair parted to the right. I watched him plummet to the floor letting out a fateful scream for everyone to hear. It was then I realized how vulnerable we both were.

Very scary.

The Waste Tunnels, in Doom II- the entire level was pretty creepy to me- the floors collapsing at the beginning and then the dark bit past the first floor.

The Chasm- when you go into the area to activate the large secret area. It's where the lights go out and a Hell Knight appears. Used to creep me out.

Like someone previous to me said, the first zombieman in e1m1.

I was 5. I was playing on ITYTD, so no shotgunners in the armor room. I didn't understand that the thing at the end of that short hallway was a door, so I was wandering around the opening area for maybe an hour or so not knowing what to do. Then the lightbulb went on and I opened the door. The sound of the door, it dramatically opening... then the zombieman wakes up and takes a shot... I ran down the hall. Not the one in the game, the one in my house.

Oh how far I've come... :-P