Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

GreyGhost said:

GL also messed up the battlements inside the moat.

DoomBuidler2 and Slade3 magically show that texture also incorrectly (in the same way as glboom-plus does). Something special is there?

I wonder if there's a way to decrease the horizontal mouse sensitivity in PrBoom-Plus more than it's possible in the game options.

To me, the mouse is too sensitive even if its horizontal sensitivity is set to 1, so much that I can't aim at all. Perhaps it would be much less sensitive without acceleration, I have to keep acceleration at quite a high level, because I always use forward/backwards mouse movement when playing. I use keyboard too, mostly for running, but I always turn and move back with my mouse.

Another thing, I had an impression that the backwards mouse movement is somewhat quicker in PrBoom-Plus than in Chocolate or ZDoom. When I run forward with keyboard and suddenly pull my mouse towards myself, I only "stop" for a second in Chocolate/ZDoom, but in PrBoom-Plus it makes me go backwards despite my pressing the up arrow and shift keys. I'm not entirely sure about it but I took such an impression. I thought uncapped framerate was the cause, but I had a similar feeling after disabling it (though less strong).

I admit, as a bit of a vanilla "purist", I'd really like to play Boom-compatible megawads with PrBoom/GlBoom instead of ZDoom. I always use Chocolate Doom for anything that is vanilla-compatible. I like ZDoom too, it sort of grew on me, but it doesn't emulate vanilla Doom nearly as much as PrBoom does...

Feniks said:

To me, the mouse is too sensitive even if its horizontal sensitivity is set to 1, so much that I can't aim at all. Perhaps it would be much less sensitive without acceleration, I have to keep acceleration at quite a high level, because I always use forward/backwards mouse movement when playing. I use keyboard too, mostly for running, but I always turn and move back with my mouse.

Probably that's because PrBoom+ processes acceleration differently in comparison with chocolate-doom.

PrBoom+ always accelerates mouse if mouse_acceleration is not zero.

val = pow(val, 1+mouse_acceleration/100)
Chocolate-doom multiplies mouse speed by acceleration factor if current mouse speed is greater than mouse_threshold. So, slow mouse movements are not accelerated.
if (val > mouse_threshold)
  val = (int)((val - mouse_threshold) * mouse_acceleration + mouse_threshold);
What method is better for you?

entryway said:

DoomBuidler2 and Slade3 magically show that texture also incorrectly (in the same way as glboom-plus does). Something special is there?

But it's fine in GZDoom. Maybe Graf could help?

Thanks for the reply, entryway.

For me, Chocolate Doom's mouse handling is simply perfect and I wouldn't really want to change anything.

I didn't know about the difference in processing acceleration. It really makes sense. It however means that I'd have to make horizontal mouse sensitivity slower in PrBoom+, because I need acceleration for faster movements.

I'll try decreasing acceleration and increasing vertical sensitivity in PrBoom+ but I'm not sure if it suits me. Using forward/backward mouse movement without (much) acceleration seems pretty gruelling and ineffective. I wouldn't really like to change my settings or playing style, because it's the way I played Doom for quite a few years and I'm really used to it.

For some reason, I have both sound and music in glboom+, but no sound nor music in prboom+. Anyone?

edit: if it sheds any more light on the matter; it worked fine previously

entryway said:

Looks like that has something to do with the lowered ceiling above the battlements - which was probably done to cage the cacodemon. A related issue that Dragonsbrethren noted ("The lowered sky ceiling over the castle blocks parts of the castle behind it in GL") appears to be due to redundant upper textures being rendered as part of the sky.

I can't get this to run on a windox xp laptop I just bought. (includes both glboom-plus and prboom-plus) 2.5.1.0, 2.5.1.1, 2.5.1.3, and 2.5.1.4 test do not launch. Not even the launcher will run. I just get an error that the application failed to initialize and then a memory address. Going back, 2.5.0.8 is the first version that launches, and it appears to work properly. All versions of prboom-plus launch and run on my old win xp machine (that is much slower and has a small screen so I don't want to use it). Any ideas?

I'm hoping there's a solution because I bought this laptop specifically to watch doom demos. I went with xp because in the last few months, prboom-plus kept giving a blue screen of death randomly on my windows 7 machine, forcing me to do a lengthy system restore to get the machine working again. I finally wiped the machine and tried running with it bare (no programs installed, no windows updates, etc.) and I had the same problem. I figured it must be a machine specific problem since no one else seems to have this issue. So I decided just to buy a win xp machine for doom, since it was cheap and I figured that would have no problems.

2.5.1.3 works fine on my semi-comatose slug of an XP laptop, apart from needing to disable vertical sync in glboom-plus. Which service pack is installed on yours?

emailking said:

I can't get this to run on a windox xp laptop I just bought. (includes both glboom-plus and prboom-plus) 2.5.1.0, 2.5.1.1, 2.5.1.3, and 2.5.1.4 test do not launch. Not even the launcher will run. I just get an error that the application failed to initialize and then a memory address. Going back, 2.5.0.8 is the first version that launches, and it appears to work properly.

Post full text of message and prboom version

Does it work?
http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/test.zip

Hi, entryway. Thanks for responding to my post.

I tried the version you just posted. Unfortunately, it did not work. I got the same error message. Here is a screenshot of the error message:

http://oi49.tinypic.com/ekpxxt.jpg

I think it may have something to do with libfluidsynth.dll. If I delete all of the other DLLs and leave libfluidsynth.dll, I get the same error message. But if I delete libfluidsynth.dll, it jsut says that it couldn't find libfluidsynth.dll.

I have also tried versions 2.5.1.0, 2.5.1.1, 2.5.1.3, and 2.5.1.4 test. All of them get the exact same error message that is in the screenshot above. 2.5.0.8 is the most recent version that runs.

I dont want to be nagging you, but I find this pretty weird and annoying. Especially because I`m currently testing something like 20 maps and I need to test them in prboom+.
No idea what might cause this? Any way I can make a log or something for you to see/read?

darkreaver said:

For some reason, I have both sound and music in glboom+, but no sound nor music in prboom+. Anyone?

edit: if it sheds any more light on the matter; it worked fine previously. One day when I loaded up prboom+ just as I always do, I had no sound or music at all.

darkreaver said:

Any way I can make a log or something for you to see/read

Have no ideas. Did you try to delete prboom-plus.cfg? Did you try software rendering with glboom-plus.exe? (glboom-plus.exe is universal and includes both software and hardware renderers)

entryway said:

Have no ideas. Did you try to delete prboom-plus.cfg? Did you try software rendering with glboom-plus.exe? (glboom-plus.exe is universal and includes both software and hardware renderers)

Deleting the cfg did not work, but software in glboom did work =) Doent feel as smooth as prboom+ did, but that might just be psychological, I dont know. It works fine anyway!

Just a question, should I choose 8, 16 or 32 bit? I tried 32 and 16 bit but I didnt notice any difference to be honest. I dont even know what the difference is supposed to be :P

Took all day, but I just installed hundreds of windows updates and something did it because it works now. So I'm good.

My PrBoom-Plus often hangs with new computer: one and the same sound repeats and PrBoom-Plus don't closes correctly, with task manager only.
Windows 7, 64 bit.

Plut said:

My PrBoom-Plus often hangs with new computer: one and the same sound repeats and PrBoom-Plus don't closes correctly, with task manager only.
Windows 7, 64 bit.

Have you tried setting process_affinity_mask in the cfg to zero? Which MIDI player are you using? And perhaps running the executable as the admin could help.

"Have you tried setting process_affinity_mask in the cfg to zero?"
No
"Which MIDI player are you using?"
PORTMIDI

Here's a tiny feature request: An option to make the demo progress bar a one-pixel-tall white line instead of a thicker bar made of white lines around a black one. The thick bar looks ugly, at least at lower screen resolutions, and one line is sufficiently viewable. It could be written in the CFG as hudadd_demoprogressbar 2.

Memfis said:

btw that bar doesn't disappear when you use -recordfromto and then "join".

It does for me.

Hmm, opengl or software mode? I'm talking about software.
And that bar disappears if I then press + or - (hide/show HUD).

Just tried in software, for me it also disappears as soon as I press "join" (same behavior as I get with gl mode).

Cheat codes in mordeth.wad. This is how it works.

Use only mordeth.deh and the cheat codes (IDDQD, IDDT) work fine.

Get Mordeth as described

nwt -as MORGRAP0.WAD
nwt -af MORGRAP0.WAD
Now with this
prboom-plus -file mordeth morgrap0
the cheat codes still work, but with this (proper Mordeth)
prboom-plus -file mordeth morgrap0 -deh mordeth.deh
they are disabled! Is this the way they should work?

deh_apply_cheats = 1, of course.

EDIT: oh nevermind, forgot about -nocheats.

I'm using PrBoom plus v2.5.1.3 but when I pause the game, the music still plays. Is there a version of prBoom plus that pauses the music as well when you pause the game? JW.

Thanks! Also, is there a way to make the OPL music louder than maximum? Cause when I ran Doom in DosBox and compared it to PrBoom plus the sound is louder in DosBox than in PrBoom plus. Is there a way to make the volume in PrBoom plus the same as in DosBox? Cause I had both the sound/music at maximum volume.

LingtheDoomGuy said:

Thanks! Also, is there a way to make the OPL music louder than maximum?

"mus_opl_gain" in cfg.