Find results in...
Demon_Collector

Scariest/ creepiest moment

Demon_Collector said:

the part where you have to walk through the dark after the monsters appear

Um, you mean the whole game?

LkMax said:

Episode 4 Map 1,
Just after finally founding the NIN secret 5 barons of hell emerge from nowhere, I manage to scape to the open area at the beginnig of the level but suddenly the monsters starts to telepor around me. Surprise motherf**ker!!

I remeber that one because it was not long ago. It took me years to realize it was a fricking torch... (ok I never found it by myself - I searched on the internet).

Um, this is Doom 3 we're talking about, not Ultimate Doom.

sgt dopey said:

The scariest part was the one with the dead bodies

Same here. Also when there's a headless person just sitting there, and all of a sudden they get up and come after you, because I wasn't expecting that.

Sodaholic said:

Um, this is Doom 3 we're talking about, not Ultimate Doom.

hahahaha only now I saw the category on the forum.
WTF am I doing? x-D
It makes more sense since the classic dooms can't scare you more than giving little surprises.
Deleting post.

Scariest part of Doom 3 was when that... Oh no, wait, that wasn't too scary...

Oh wait, or maybe it was that... No that wasn't either, um...

I guess the more unsettling moments was whenever you'd find a body that just got up and floated away somewhere. I thought that was always a little creepy.

I honestly can't think of anything. I can list a few moments in the originals where I jumped out of my seat.

I never found anything scary or creepy but I did find the fleshy entrail things with the scrolling textures scattered around certain levels unsettling, and that room in one of the mars city levels with the glowing red lighting and subtle creepy music along with the fleshy slurping sound from one of the entrail things in the room.

My scariest moment was at the Processing Junction no 2, where there's a corridor; you walk in and a faint voice call you "follow me", and a bloody footprints appear on the ground, you follow it around the corner and voice calls "Come on hurry". Again you follow the bloody footprints to the disabled door and the screen goes red and the voice says "They took my baby" and the cry of a baby follows... that was scary.

jkim16 said:

My scariest moment was at the Processing Junction no 2, where there's a corridor; you walk in and a faint voice call you "follow me", and a bloody footprints appear on the ground, you follow it around the corner and voice calls "Come on hurry". Again you follow the bloody footprints to the disabled door and the screen goes red and the voice says "They took my baby" and the cry of a baby follows... that was scary.

Yeh the crying baby was freakish. I remember the demon that is banging on a door, shows it's face then disappears again and then you hear a voice speaking in Latin was creepy, where in the game is that from? Can't remember right now.

The whispering voices always creeped the heck out of me. Also, there was that scene where you encounter the first Lost Soul, where the woman's head just comes off and starts floating toward you. That freaked the hell out of me. One thing I never found scary? Any one of the countless jump scares. I think jump scares are silly, stupid, and pointless. The scariest movies are always the ones that scare you by building atmosphere, not having monsters jump out of closets. I mean, in my opinion, The Thing is the scariest movie I've ever seen, and while it does use the occasional jump scare, it earns those moments. The primary cause of fear and dread in that movie isn't the jump scares themselves, it's the paranoia the movie creates via its atmosphere.

Basically, the scariness of any form of media should be based on this - are you afraid even when the monster isn't onscreen, when nothing significant is happening? 99% of the time, I didn't feel that way with Doom 3. It had those moments, like the whispering voice telling you to follow it, and I was seriously creeped out then, but those were few and far between. Most of the time, I'm just running around like, "Okay, what do I get to shoot next?" Actually, that's what made the whispering so creepy - monsters I can handle, a shotgun to the face is a useful strategy. You can't shoot a whispering voice, though, and you have no idea if your weapons even matter when dealing with things like that. The unknown - that's scary. What's the point in having monsters jump out at me when I already know I can blow 'em away with my boomstick?

And don't get me wrong, an action game can be scary - take F.E.A.R., for example. Yeah sure, in that game, enemies go down with a shotgun to the face, too, but that wasn't what was scary. What was scary was the creepy ghost girl who could do whatever she wanted to you and you couldn't fight back. Plus, half the time you had no idea if what you were seeing was reality. You could mow down an army of enemy soldiers, but that wasn't the point. The game made you paranoid because you didn't know what the main antagonist was capable of. Friggin' Alma could explode people, make you hallucinate, teleport you, possess people, etc., so you spend the whole game wondering if at any moment you're going to become a bloody pile of goop pasted on the walls, and it's not like any of your guns meant anything against that.

I thought the PDAs added a lot of tension. I never really found anything in the game to be too creepy otherwise, maybe a bit unsettling.

MRB_Doom said:

I remember the demon that is banging on a door, shows it's face then disappears again and then you hear a voice speaking in Latin was creepy, where in the game is that from? Can't remember right now.

Level 10: Communications Transfer. I find it a scary moment too. Unlike the crying baby thing (which was in Level 8). When I first encountered it, I didn't notice footsteps on floor at all, and I just came to a locked door and couldn't move and was annoyed by it, the only good thing was the ammo closet that then opened as a reward (?!?).

Scary was for example the first time in the game when zombies appear and you have to fight them. Specially the moments after the actual cutscene. Not so long from that point, you'll have to go through an airlock door, but the door opens only slightly and you can't go through, only can see a zombie pulling a dead marine and then you see a translucent lost soul charging at you. That lost soul is in fact harmless, but when you play the game for the first time and don't know that, you'll suffer a moment of a real fear.

Or in one of the first Alpha labs map, a scientist with a lantern is guiding you through the darkness. He walks rather slow, his lantern sometimes goes off for a short while, you hear monster sounds in the darkness and you encounter several imps. And in the end, the scientist goes to a room, then ALL lights goes off (even your flashlight won't help you to see), you hear an imp killing him and you cannot do anything. I wouldn't call it the most scary moment, but it certainly has some scaryness.

During the whole game, you sometimes suddenly hear sounds without any visible source, being it demonic voices but also sounds of machinery, which maybe actually scare me even more. When playing the game, even for the first time, you somehow know the scary voice can't and won't harm you by any way, but machinery sound may be a sign of some real incoming danger. Which actually happens in the game.

Them, I don't know what else. Some parts of the hell maybe, specially those taking place in open space. There's an outdoor platforming section quite early on when some strange organisms are flying above you and lost souls spawn. The whole hell has some scary atmosphere in it, probably because of the ambient sound.

I don't really know what I would highlight as the most scary moment, I just mentioned a few that came to mind.

The part where you first see pinky demon, and he crashes through the window where you're in.

"HEY! MIND IF I DROP IN?" - pinky demon