Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boared

Megawad project: Boared

Introduction

In the summer I made three levels for doom II. The idea was to start a megawad, and I guess I am going through with that. The title is a placeholder, when I think up something cool I will let you know

Features

I have set aside some rules for myself, you could call them features, so I wont end up abandoning the project because of all the work.

- Only uses classic doom II textures (I am thinking about using DOOM I textures as well and maybe (because I have a hard time living without it) the waterfall texture from Plutonia/TNT).
- Levels will be medium sized and will take about 10-20 minutes to complete.
- All levels should be completable from pistol start.
- prboom-plus -complevel 2 compatible.
- I haven't thought about music yet. Maybe somebody has a cool link for some nice music cause I know map01 music drives everybody crazy.
- I will try to use a lot of texture variety in my maps to keep things interesting
- For the moment there is no difference between difficulties (I know I am a lazy bum)
- I am aiming for 32 levels

Completed maps

The names for the maps will come later. Also the map numbers are just placeholders for the moment

map01 http://i.imgur.com/4jEpA.png
map02 http://i.imgur.com/GKIEl.png
map11 http://i.imgur.com/wqRWe.png
map14 http://i.imgur.com/3jppt.png
map22 http://i.imgur.com/ea33a.png

Playtesting

I would love to hear what you guys think of the maps. Both the positive and the negative. So if you happen to play a map please leave a comment so I can improve my mapping skills.

downloadlink: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?h8kdu9pyegfj8sd

Cheers!

No they should be compatible with most sourceports, the levels are not made for zdoom specifically

Cool.

Map01: Nice detailing and looks in general. Seems like you made the map with mouse look in mind? It was horribly hard to navigate in the sewer/nukage/red-key-area without mouse look because of the height differencies. Also your lifts in that part has damaging floor specials set to them, which I guess is just an overlook =)

Nice pacing and difficulty.
Stats: 96% kills, 1 secret, no deaths and 9 minutes

edit: oh, and do the world a favor and replace the music, asap ;)

map11: Looks good with the varying themes/styles, kinda classic in that manner. I bumped into some of the details (like the small pillars on the "docks" and the numerous trees. A little annoying.
I didnt find any weapons to begin with so I ran around starting infights until I found the SSG, and then much later the RL. The BFG fight almost got me because I thought: "lol just imps and demons...", but suddenly.. :P

stats: one death, 0 secrets, 99% kills (didnt bother with the cyber), 13 minutes

map22: this map looks spectacular, even if a little too detailed here and there, but thats personal preference. Played well too, imo.

You could make impassable lines infront of wall detailing so that you dont get stuck on them while fighting, AND the hanging bodies you have used in this map are blocking, so you cannot pass unerneath them unless you use ZDoom or something, thats a fatal flaw, literally since the only death I had in this map was because I got stuck on one ;) Just change them to non-blocking ones and its fine.

Awesome map.

1 death (doesnt count ;) ), 3 secrets, 98% kills, 25 minutes or something

Please download PrBoom-plus and start using it instead of ZDoom for testing. It will be sad if you ruin this wonderful thing with zdoomisms (floating items, blocking hanging corpses, etc). Seriously, this stuff is amazing.
Demos of my playthrough. (yet another reason to download PrBoom-Plus!)

p.s. nice multiposting darkreaver :D

Thanks for the feedback!

@ Darkreaver: These maps are not made with freelook in mind. I admit map 01 might be a little claustrophobic, but it was meant to be that way.

@ Memfis: Thanks for the PrBoom tip, it has been a while since I looked at all the different sourceports. Will test my maps with PrBoom-plus and change some of the blocking corpses. But first I will start a new map, just need some inspiration ;).
Btw I watched your demos cause I was curious, and I noticed that in map 11 after you opened all the doors there where no teleporting monsters. I tested the map in PrBoom-plus and for me they did spawn. Any idea what happened there?

I played with "-complevel 2" command line parameter which emulates doom2.exe's behavior (without enforcing limits such as maximum visible planes). It seems that with this parameter sectors 740 and 746 can't be opened because some monsters (I guess mancubuses) are partially stuck in them. Moving the monsters a little further away from these sectors should fix this.
If you don't plan to use Boom features in your maps, you should always test with -complevel 2, which is a standard for "limit removing" maps.

Was the wad intended to be a Slaughter mod? Because that's what Map11 and Map22 are. If so it's Ok, if not you could reduce a lot the monster count. Didn't play Map02, I tested the wad before this map was included.

Tried map02, great stuff! This wad is very promising. :)
Demo. I have only one question: when the player picks up the red key, what's the point of closing the way back? It's not like there is a trap or anything.

edit: hmm, depends on how you play I guess. If you don't visit the outdoor area before then it will be kinda like a trap.
edit2: I looked at this map in Doom Builder and found invuln sphere in the last room. Isn't it a little too much? Of course most players will not find it (totally unmarked secret?) but at least for speedrunners it will make the final battle very boring. And such a great battle too. Maybe remove that sphere at least on Ultra-Violence?

I really enjoy watching your demos Memfis, they really give me insight in how other people play without knowing what is coming.

About closing the way back. This is partly because I first wanted to make a real trap but figured the map didn't need it and partly because I really wanted people to visit that area and get the plasmagun.

I will replace the invuln sphere in the last room and maybe mark the secret (Or remove it I don't know yet).

map02 was another cool map =)

I dont have anything to say in particular actually.

Died once (that closet-revenant that tele`d behind me, ugh!) and found 2 secrets.

Demo. I think the floor in the main hall is too bumpy (hate those little height differences that make you "jump" all the time). Also I personally couldn't figure out that you can press on the skin eye two times (and had to open Doom Builder), but it's a very cool idea so I have nothing against it. :)

I really like the screenshots in the OP - stock textures rock! I've always known it!

Yay, it's a 2-years old thread. D:

According to his last post he hasn't been on for over a year. Quite sad really.

scifista42 said:

I really like the screenshots in the OP - stock textures rock! I've always known it!

Oh, surely you've seen Going Down! :P