Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sonic SG

Edited sprite changes won't show up (perticularly gun sprites)

Sometimes my edited weapon sprites won't show up, the changes that is.

I changed the chaingun sprite to a edited ripper sprite from DN3d, its in png format. i give it the correct name (CHGGA0, etc) then i save my wad.

When i play my wad the sprite looks like the normal Doom chaingun. This happens with other weapon sprites i edit too.

Whats going on?

Your weapon sprites aren't inbetween S_START and S_END markers. Make a new entry (marker) named "S_START" before the sprites, and "S_END" after them.

Also, I'm not sure if it makes a huge difference, but you could always play it safe and convert those PNG's into graphics, in case there is an engine that doesn't like PNG's, although I haven't come across one.

Just a thought.

Depending on where the files are being saved, it could be an access rights issue that's preventing the modified wads from being used.

@PhantomTMac Good point. If it isn't a ZDoom-based port, it probably won't take any PNGs.

@GreyGhost I use GZDoom, so this could vary, but mine could use an IWAD from Program Files (which is so protected). What ports do you think run into read-write access problems that could stop the custom WAD from being loaded?

Also, based on the presence of "SNDINFO, Sonic SG probably is using ZDoom, so the PNGs might not be the problem at all, just the markers.

Agreed. Make sure that when inserting sprites, they are in between S_START and S _END. Also, Flats: F_START and F_END. Patches: P_START and P_END. All other files can be pretty much scattered, unless you are using hires flats and patches, which would fall between HI_START and HI_END.

Xane123 said:

@GreyGhost I use GZDoom, so this could vary, but mine could use an IWAD from Program Files (which is so protected). What ports do you think run into read-write access problems that could stop the custom WAD from being loaded?

The IWAD shouldn't be a problem though any wads you're working on should be moved from Program Files to Documents, to make sure you have full read/write access. That issue isn't port-specific, it's just the way Vista and Win 7 enforce access rights in the Program Files folders.

@GreyGhost I know this topic wasn't originally for me, but oh well; Of course, all my WADs are in a non-Program Files folder although I think the IWAD is in Program Files. I probably will move that somewhere else. I guess now all we have to do is wait for Sonic SG to get back to us to see if what we all are answering is true.