Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhantomTMac

Silent Hill Wad

What's your favorite Silent Hill title?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Silent Hill title?

• Silent Hill
    • Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams
    • Silent Hill 3
    • Silent Hill 4: The Room
    • Silent Hill Origins
    • Silent Hill Homecoming
    • Silent Hill Shattered Memories
    • Silent Hill Downpour

I'm creating a mapset using various textures, sounds, and enemies from the Silent Hill series and was wondering if anybody had any ideas for areas that should be included in the town. Currently, I am working on a hotel, but Silent Hill needs something more. I'll probably due the typical hospital area, also, but that makes sense in a Silent Hill title.

Think about what areas you'd be scared to be left alone in, especially with monsters. Something that'd be interesting to solve puzzles in and explore, all while listening for your radio to hear monsters.

Current features of the wad:

Flashlight
Knife
Handgun
Silent Hill items, music, and textures
Pop-up thought text like in the Silent Hill series
3-D floors for realistic decor (just learned how to make them)

A school would be great and maybe Nowhere from Silent Hill 1 or the Prison from Silent Hill 2, get a mix of Silent Hill 1 and 2 monsters as well.
Basically just take what you can from the first 2 Silent Hills, even though the doom wad Unloved did a good job imo with Silent Hill 4's hub system.
Also it definitely needs to include Otherworld versions of the same maps, just make em look more twisted and change the rooms around.

While SH3 had better themes and atmosphere (and BEST nurse creatures from all parts ever ;-P), SH4: The Room is better in terms of shooter and level exploration if you planning port some areas into Doom maps.

Also Homecoming. Damn, great portrayal of Hell and that doll-like boss.

Otherworlds from SH3 and Homecoming, others do not stand even close.

SH2 is great as SH, but not so good as shooter, that would be insulting and blasphemous. ;-)

If you look for inspiration how it was done before you may be interested in Death Wish mod for Blood where in episode 3 it has SH2 inspired level (Whisper Peak) and SH4 (The Room).

GBT3 said:

If you look for inspiration how it was done before you may be interested in Death Wish mod for Blood where in episode 3 it has SH2 inspired level (Whisper Peak) and SH4 (The Room).

I'll definitely check that out. Also, the town map in Unloved 2 was meant to resemble Silent Hill, as far as I'm concerned (it even plays music from Homecoming), so I can use that as inspiration, as well.

This looks promising so far. In terms of other ideas and places, why not an abandoned and ramshackle amusement park.

pizzabob18 said:

This looks promising so far. In terms of other ideas and places, why not an abandoned and ramshackle amusement park.

That's not a bad idea. Amusement parks have typically been a staple in the Silent Hill series.

PhantomTMac said:

That's not a bad idea. Amusement parks have typically been a staple in the Silent Hill series.

That sounds like a very nice idea!

Please don't ruin this project with stock Doom, Blood, or resources from any other Doom-engine / Build engine games. If you do, it would ruin the atmosphere and kill off any immersion the WAD could have.

Good luck!

Looks really good so far!

Out of curiosity, are you going to use actual music from the Silent Hill series, or will you use other (hopefully ambient) music?

Mattfrie1 said:

Looks really good so far!

Out of curiosity, are you going to use actual music from the Silent Hill series, or will you use other (hopefully ambient) music?

Both. Most of which will be Silent Hill music, though.

Agentbromsnor said:

That sounds like a very nice idea!

Please don't ruin this project with stock Doom, Blood, or resources from any other Doom-engine / Build engine games. If you do, it would ruin the atmosphere and kill off any immersion the WAD could have.

Good luck!

Don't worry, I plan to use a minimal amount of actual Doom objects/stock (if any at all). I want this wad to feel like Silent Hill.

PhantomTMac said:

Don't worry, I plan to use a minimal amount of actual Doom objects/stock (if any at all). I want this wad to feel like Silent Hill.

Great! I can't wait to see gameplay footage, or a demo!

stickguy5000 said:

How about that bowling alley from 2 I've always wanted to go back, pop in some puzzles and an otherworld that makes the area larger.

That'd be kinda cool.

UPDATE!

I've begun adding enemies to the wad. Not only will this wad feature some of Silent Hill's most popular enemies. I'm also creating some of my OWN monsters to add to the game.

Here's a monster you won't see in any normal Silent Hill title:

I haven't gotten around to officially naming any of my new monsters, so I'll just call this one the "Fleshfaced Stripper" for the time being.

Hope you like!

I would make the monster look a bit more like a monster and less like a guy with a strange costume, if you get what I mean. :)

Also, are you going to add dynamic lights? That could add to the suspense of the levels IMO.

Agentbromsnor said:

I would make the monster look a bit more like a monster and less like a guy with a strange costume, if you get what I mean. :)

Also, are you going to add dynamic lights? That could add to the suspense of the levels IMO.

I'll do some editing. (Besides, I still have to give the monster 8 directions anyways.)

I'll definitely try some stuff with dynamic lights.

Agentbromsnor said:

I completely remodeled the monster! :)

It kinda looks like a woman's rotted corpse, except with that look of being burnt. Any name suggestions?

Bloody Mary? That's all I got.

Might be a good idea to name it after some defining trait. How does it attack? What kind of sounds does it make?

PhantomTMac said:

Think about what areas you'd be scared to be left alone in, especially with monsters. Something that'd be interesting to solve puzzles in and explore, all while listening for your radio to hear monsters.

I'm surprised no one's suggested an asylum.

Some kind of cathedral that was converted to/made for dark purposes could also be good. Maybe that's even where the monsters are coming from or where the worst ones can be found.

PhantomTMac said:

I completely remodeled the monster! :)

It kinda looks like a woman's rotted corpse, except with that look of being burnt. Any name suggestions?

There we go! :D This looks awesome! Much scarier too.

Can't think of any name though. I always sucked at making up names and titles...

grouchbag said:

Burnt Echo?

I'm guessing that's a suggestion for the monster name. **

That's actually pretty clever, being that the main character's supposed to have a past he's trying to erase. I like that.