Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhantomTMac

Annoying Doombuilder Errors

To start off, I prefer the old Doom Builder, so keep that in mind when answering.

Neither of these errors make it hard for me to map, but they are rather annoying...

1. Whenever I close Doom Builder, a message appears with an error code 75, I don't remember what the error says, but it's something along the lines of something not being found. Upon opening Doom Builder at any point, I have to reinsert the iWad information and testing exe. Also, the recently opened shortcuts under File disappear, so I have to manually locate each wad.

2. In occasional instances, after placing a texture in 3D mode, error message 9 (runtime error) will pop up and crashes Doom Builder. Sometimes I lose some work, but not to often cause I save every time I do something.

Additional information: I am using an ACER desktop with Windows 7 (originally came with Vista) and an Nvidia graphics card. And, yes, I do have the .dll that allows Doom Builder to run on Vista.

Any thoughts?

Here is my thought, stop wasting time with DB1 and use DB2 it's much faster for mapping.

Doom Builder 1 wasn't made for Windows 7. You may get it to work, or partly, but that is no guarantee that it will work well. If you desperately want to stick to DB1, then I recommend you to try using it on Windows 98 or 2000 in a virtual machine (such as VirtualPC).

2 often happened to me when I had old crappy video card that was overheating terribly. Closing as many programs/processes as possible seemed to help a bit.

CodeImp said:

Doom Builder 1 wasn't made for Windows 7. You may get it to work, or partly, but that is no guarantee that it will work well. If you desperately want to stick to DB1, then I recommend you to try using it on Windows 98 or 2000 in a virtual machine (such as VirtualPC).

CodeImp? Isn't that the name of the Co. that created DoomBuilder? I'm guessing you probably know what you're talking about.

As far as the main reason I seem to like DB1 is mostly because I like the 3D mode texture changing style, the unorganized Flats/Patches, and the fact that the Things icons are all the same size, regardless of the thing's size in the wad. However, if you have any suggestions for how I can better use DB2, I'd be glad to hear it.

CodeImp said:

If you desperately want to stick to DB1, then I recommend you to try using it on Windows 98 or 2000 in a virtual machine (such as VirtualPC).

Whatever happened to good old Windows XP?

Maes said:

Whatever happened to good old Windows XP?

Yep, I hardly have problems with it on XP SP3. (don't look awkwardly at me, I plan to get win7 eventually =P )

Blue Shadow said:

What's awkward about using Windows XP?

With the 3rd windows (Win8) already being released after XP I feel kinda needing to do an upgrade. Developers are slowly dropping XP support releasing programs and games that are not compatible.

Windows 7 took me a while to get used to not because it's much different than XP but it looks like a children's operating system. I would prefer to use XP but it's become simply too outdated.

Oh, guys. You all make it sound like getting an all new (er, all old) computer is just as simple as speaking it into being. Other than getting an new OS, am I pretty much screwed?

Ya know I'd kill to play another sequel to Streets of Rage on the sega genesis but no one develops games for it anymore.

(yes you are.)

All of these issues could be avoided 100% of the time if you just take the plunge and switch to Doombuilder 2. I tried mapping with DB1 but it has so many needless errors that compared to DB2 it's utterly useless.
Also CodeImp isn't the company he's the person that created DB1 & DB2.

Or you can just not install to Program Files and all of the issues mentioned in the OP magically go away.

DB2 is a great editor for more advanced mapping (sector soup, as someone put it recently), but for more basic stuff, DB1 is fine.

40oz said:

Ya know I'd kill to play another sequel to Streets of Rage on the sega genesis but no one develops games for it anymore.

Well, there are hobbyists that do. Some of the stuff they make is actually pretty damn neat.

Pottus said:

Nothing beats a cup of sector soup when your sick of inferior editors!

Inferior is really subjective. I started using DB1 again for the D2TWID map I'm working on because some of DB2's features actually get really annoying when you're trying to make an id-style map.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Inferior is really subjective. I started using DB1 again for the D2TWID map I'm working on because some of DB2's features actually get really annoying when you're trying to make an id-style map.

Can you elaborate the annoying features?

When you're making an id-style map, all that impressive automated complex sector splitting functionality is completely unneeded. You just need the basic stuff that DB1 handles perfectly well. Regardless, DB2 tries to help, even on normal sector splits, by automatically aligning textures. I'm not kidding when I say I spend more time unaligning textures than I spend aligning them in an id style map, even my normal maps. Thankfully CodeImp added an option to prevent this from happening when you insert vertices, but it still does it when a newly drawn sector splits a line. (You can quickly clear all texture offsets with ctrl + A, ctrl + 1/2, and zeroing them out, but that means any manual alignment you've done is also lost, so you still need to go through and deselect individual lines every time you want to fix this.)

One that goes both ways is that DB2 inherits all sector properties, while DB1 only inherits some of them. Drawing a new sector will copy flats and lighting, but not effects or tags. Sometimes you want it all copied, sometimes you don't, but not doing it means avoiding embarrassing situations where the twenty sectors you just drew are all tagged the same as a crushing ceiling or things like that. More often than not I don't want sector effects or tags copied, so DB1 works better for me (I need to see if this is an option in DB2; I completely forgot DB1 worked this way and now I'm going to miss it for any future DB2 projects.)

DB1 allows you to override the default resources and override those defaults on a per-map basis. DB2 automates this somehow (I think it bases it on the lowest numbered sidedef in the lowest numbered sector, but I really have no idea). It set the default texture in my most recent map to BRNSMALC. You can see how such a feature can be less than appealing to have. It'll also go back to its normal defaults at random, usually when drawing a sector not connected to another. Which wouldn't be an issue if I could override those defaults.

But on the other hand, I really hate how the only way I can search for a texture/flat in DB1 is by its first letter. The lack of a real search box seems like a huge oversight.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate you took the time to express your oversight it was interesting.